Alfine 8 v Alfine 11

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ron2old

Alfine 8 v Alfine 11

Post by ron2old »

Is the Alfine 8 hub more reliable than the Alfine 11 and if so why? Why have BMC bought out an Alpenchallenge with a Nexus 8 in their 2017 models. Is that a more reliable hub still? Or are they just trying to clear old stock.
Brucey

Re: Alfine 8 v Alfine 11

Post by Brucey »

the Alfine 8 is a bit more reliable and quite a lot cheaper than the A11 hub. Internally there are comparable numbers of parts but there are more clutches that all need to work correctly at the same time to get all the gears in an A11 hub.

The current Nexus 8 hub has the same internals as the A8 hub and also has a disc mount (unlike previous N8 hubs). You can save a few quid by speccing an N8 hub for no real loss.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ron2old

Post by ron2old »

Thanks for that. The 8 seems a better choice for reliability as an all weather commuter then. Perhaps that's why Genesis put the 8 on their drop bar Day One model and not the 11spd then.
ron2old

Post by ron2old »

The only difference I can see between the Nexus 8 and the Alfine 8 is that Nexus is lubricated by grease and Alfine is lubricated by oil. As I've read that Alfine hubs tend to leak oil after a while perhaps that's why makers prefer to put the Nexus on their frames ( less returns or problems).
ron2old

Post by ron2old »

Sometimes a so called upgrade or change In a product. Does'nt always mean an improvement.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ron2old wrote:The only difference I can see between the Nexus 8 and the Alfine 8 is that Nexus is lubricated by grease and Alfine is lubricated by oil.....

IIRC the Alfine 8 hub is also lubricated with grease. The A11 hub is oil lubricated. Both A8 and N8 hubs use an oil dip as a service method, to 'refresh' the grease, which has lead some folk to (mistakenly IMV) conclude that the A8 hub is oil lubricated.

IMHO the factory lube is inadequate in both A8 and N8 hubs; the lube simply isn't mobile enough. In all-weather use seals dry out, then leak water into the hub. In the winter, the water can be highly corrosive, because it has salt in it.

The non-mobile lube means that specific parts can run dry, corrode, and/or wear out where nearby in the hub everything is still OK. I have seen several Nexus hubs which have failed because of (locally) inadequate lube. Inside the worst A8 hub I have seen, the roller bearings that support the planet gears were seized solid (though water ingress), whilst other parts (eg the axle assembly) still looked like new. A more mobile lube would better ensure that the moving parts are all coated in fresh lubricant.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Apart from the odd clunk under heavy load, my Alfine 8 has been very reliable.

(Edit: New thread re. lube query opened in Technical Section)