photography pannier

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

photography pannier

Postby nez » 10 Aug 2016, 12:21pm

I'm cycling round the Essex/Suffolk border taking landscape photos. I've figured out that drainpipe will preserve my tripod, now I'm looking for a material to line a side pannier with, prior to installing one of those 'photo bag liners' you can get on eBay. I don't want to rely on the liner just itself, I want to put something robust which would absorb a knock from the outside. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for material? BTW I don't want to use a bar bag for the camera - it's too big. Best thought so far is some of that dense foam sleeping mat. Suggestions gratefully received.

al_yrpal

Re: photography pannier

Postby al_yrpal » 10 Aug 2016, 12:44pm

A few opened egg boxes stuck to a piece of cardboard? A few old tee sirts in tbe bottom. Padded envelopes. A shopping bag with twists of screwed up newspaper surrounding it inside the pannier.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 10 Aug 2016, 1:02pm

If you are installing padded liners as well then I would think that some pieces of Correx board would add enough extra reinforcement.

nez

Postby nez » 10 Aug 2016, 1:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:A few opened egg boxes stuck to a piece of cardboard? A few old tee sirts in tbe bottom. Padded envelopes. A shopping bag with twists of screwed up newspaper surrounding it inside the pannier.

Al

I expect your vest pocket Kodak b is in tip top condition.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 Aug 2016, 1:25pm

No idea about best material but there are a massive range of various densities of foam. Try visiting/phoning a local foam supplier. I used one last year for a completely unrelated requirement and was surprised at the range for normal/soft through to some quite dense foams (almost rubber). In my case they cut them into a specific complex shape using different density foams for different parts of the protection. And despite it taking them more than an hour I ended up being asked for only a few quid (based on the cost of the foam!!).

Ian

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 10 Aug 2016, 1:52pm

I have a Suburban Disguise 5 for my SLR https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products ... disguise-5 My tiny Panasonic LF1 goes in a snug Lowepro Santiago 20 hardcase on my belt. When wandering about pickpocket infested areas it also contains a credit card and a folded banknote. Either and any lens cases would easily go in a pannier. Decent cases for expensive equipment makes good sense.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

nez

Postby nez » 10 Aug 2016, 3:01pm

I never knew that stuff was called correx board. Some of that and some foam looks like it would work well. Thanks all!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Aug 2016, 6:26pm

The other thought is to make your own by converting another design to a pannier

It is possible to pick up the fittings for panniers... for instance Ghyllside Cycles can provide the Ortlieb ones

After that do what you want.

A proper "case" can be fitted with these and then on to the rack

Some years ago I successfully converted a Pelicase into a pannier,and also a cheap aluminium case

Pyranha

Postby Pyranha » 10 Aug 2016, 7:25pm

My wife has a rack pack with a piece of foam on the bottom for cushioning, and a partition (from another bag) velcroed inside. Hers is a Topeak one, which has fairly rigid sides. As this is on top of the rack it is in a slightly less exposed place than a pannier. She can get a full size SLR, a spare lens and a few other bits in it.

freiston

Postby freiston » 10 Aug 2016, 7:38pm

nez dans le guidon wrote:...BTW I don't want to use a bar bag for the camera - it's too big.

How big is your camera? I have a Canon 50D and with a Tamron 17-50mm lens with hood on 'the proper way round', it fits into my barbag with plenty of room to spare - I would easily fit it in even with a battery grip fitted. The bar bag is the whopping Axiom Barkeep DLX 16 Litre Bar Bag though ;)

edit 1: That bar bag is padded and insulated and the mounting bracket affords some 'suspension'.

edit 2: If you change your mind or have second thoughts about a bar bag - here's a write up of it with pictures: http://fatbikerepublic.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ccess.html
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

nez

Postby nez » 10 Aug 2016, 8:00pm

Thanks for that thought. I use several including a modern dslr, but I want to be able to carry my mamiya7ii or a field camera

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 13 Aug 2016, 12:27pm

I've just been looking at Pelicase prices. Very reasonable - until you reach the sort of size that would comfortably contain a DSLR and a couple of lenses. I'm now thinking that I could use a lower quality rigid case inside a pannier with a waterproof liner.
I do feel drawn towards a well fitted foam cut out!

That sort of approach is fine for a photographic daytrip. What sort of things do people do to safeguard a camera on longer trip?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

nez

Postby nez » 13 Aug 2016, 7:51pm

Hi Dave, I use a rolling pelican case for photography from the car boot but wouldn't dream of it from a bike - they are really heavy.

davkt8

Postby davkt8 » 14 Aug 2016, 3:08pm

I use F-Stop gear camera bags which use interchangeable camera modules inside the bag, those camera modules also go into my panniers. The large one I have easily fits my full DSLR, RZ67 or MPP 4x5 field camera.

nez

Postby nez » 25 Aug 2016, 11:06am

davkt8 wrote:I use F-Stop gear camera bags which use interchangeable camera modules inside the bag, those camera modules also go into my panniers. The large one I have easily fits my full DSLR, RZ67 or MPP 4x5 field camera.

Thanks for this advice. I found a small one on eBay, so that's a good cheap start. Perfect for the slr in a pannier bag but also will fit in my carradice saddle bag.