photography pannier

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Des49

Re: photography pannier

Postby Des49 » 28 Aug 2016, 9:11pm

I have lined a pannier with an old Karrimat, any dense foam sleeping mat will do. After surrounding the pannier internally I just lay dividers on top of gear as needed. Worked great for a 5x7" Canham, 5x4 film holders, 6x17cm back and a few lenses, or a couple of Pentax 67s.

Nowadays it is 35mm digital that I shoot. Unless I really need a lot of different lenses I just take a 70-200 on the camera and this fits into a Lowepro Orion 1 bumbag which is dropped into the pannier. A wide angle lens just sits in a lens pouch. Filters have their own pouch too.
I also have a Lowepro Orion AW bumbag that holds a couple of lenses and the camera, this did drop into my old Karrimor pannier well, but is an awkward fit into the Ortlieb I now use. I find that too many layers slows you down in setting up and also leads to you having nowhere to put stuff while you delve into the bottom of the pannier, hence I prefer to just pull out the bumbag and have everything to hand, quicker and safer.

The tripod is a bit more tricky. Smaller tripods are stood up vertically in a pannier and then securely bungeed to the rack at the top, this stops them swaying around. Larger tripods like my Gitzo 410 are too big for this, so I strap it across the rack at a slight diagonal to make it less wide. A couple of strong straps are needed and I also put a piece of foam between rack and tripod as I have dented the top of a tubular rack presumably by rattling over bumps. This does make for an awkward wide load.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 28 Aug 2016, 9:50pm

I took the divider out of an old laptop bag. It's perfect. It's soft, and has that fuzzy material on it, so I can use velcro dividers with it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Vinko

Postby Vinko » 29 Aug 2016, 10:20pm

I have made up various internal compartments to hold all sorts of things for bar bags and panniers.

As mentioned above, Correx and Karrimats are useful.

Halfords do a range of "Karrimat type" mats cheaply and I have cut these up and sewn material around the cut up bits so that they have a nicer feel. Even adding Velcro where adjustments are needed. The "bits" can then also be sewn together to make up snug fitting shapes for whatever you want to protect.

I have used old estate agents boards, made of similar stuff to Correx (and free!), for any bits that need to have a rigid form.

nez

Postby nez » 30 Aug 2016, 9:59am

Thanks for these ideas. Really useful. At the moment I've gone with an f stop icu plus ribbed foam (like an eggbox really) in a karimmor pannier bag. I have a bit of piping to put the tripod in but need to find some end caps. It doesn't look too bonkers so far. When my kids were young a man used to keep a boat on a mooring near mine which had panels and wind generator and all sorts of stuff on it and they called it 'the inventor's boat.' I don't want to become the inventor cyclist!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 30 Aug 2016, 11:30am

I use Lowepro bags for most of my camera gear, or Crumpler for my smaller cameras. Both very robust.
I put my large FF/DSLR with a 7-200/2.8 in a standard Ortleib pannier in (an older version of) one of these:
https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepr ... -ii/pd322/ and it seems to survive okay, but if I'm carrying a spare fleece I do put the fleece in the pannier to pad it out a bit. Everything else has to go in the other pannier to balance the weight!
They do similar ones for smaller cameras.

Paul Smith SRCC

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 30 Aug 2016, 7:08pm

I use a Carradice Super C Handlebar bag, My Canon 500d fits, just, into a camera bag then neatly inside the bar bag. Quite handy having it on the front of the bike, plus the bag is supported in such a way vibration is arguably less than when I carry it in my Carradice rack top bag

Des49

Postby Des49 » 31 Aug 2016, 5:41pm

This was my setup for a quick pic this morning.

Individual bags for a 300mm, plus 2 converters, filter pouch. These all slotted into one pannier.

In the other pannier camera attached to a 70-200 in a bumbag, plus 24-70 in a small bag meant for a camera. Not that elegant and messy on location when I spread everything out.

Had to take my big tripod and this was strapped to the top of the rack on top of a foam pad, like I said a wide load. Strange, cars give me a far wider berth than normal when I have a huge chunk of metal across the rack!

Apologies for the poor phone pics, it was easier than using the other camera I had with me.
Image Attachments
photo 5-2.jpg
photo 3-2.jpg

freiston

Postby freiston » 31 Aug 2016, 6:11pm

Des49 wrote:This was my setup for a quick pic this morning.

Individual bags for a 300mm, plus 2 converters, filter pouch. These all slotted into one pannier.

In the other pannier camera attached to a 70-200 in a bumbag, plus 24-70 in a small bag meant for a camera. Not that elegant and messy on location when I spread everything out.

Had to take my big tripod and this was strapped to the top of the rack on top of a foam pad, like I said a wide load. Strange, cars give me a far wider berth than normal when I have a huge chunk of metal across the rack!
Kudos!
Apologies for the poor phone pics, it was easier than using the other camera I had with me.
Typical of a photographer! :wink: Apology accepted :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

nez

Postby nez » 31 Aug 2016, 6:12pm

It's one of this 'show us what you're doing' photographs. Nothing to apologise for

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels