Maps for Etrex 30

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Maps for Etrex 30

Post by groberts »

I have had for some time a Garmin Etrex 30 which for the life of me I cannot figure out how to work. One thing is now clear (I think) - I need base maps to use with GPS. Can anyone recommend suitable maps that are (very important) easy to use either free or paid for?

In the 'real world' I like OS 1:50,000 Landranger maps, is there an equivalent or at least something similar that would work with the Etrex 30?

Thanks, Graham
skicat

Re: Maps for Etrex 30

Post by skicat »

For cycling I use OpenFietsMap (http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe) which is free and in the main, very detailed and accurate. The OFM(EU2016_GB_GPS).zip should comfortably fit in the 1.7Gb Etrex memory when unzipped. If you wanted to add other maps you would need to buy a micro SD card. Be aware that the maps to load onto a GPS are in the bottom half of the page. The map in the top half is meant for a PC or MAC and covers all of Europe. This map is ideal for planning trips using Garmin's Basecamp (also free), and you can then download routes, tracks and waypoints onto your Etrex when you're happy with them. This process is so much easier than trying to plan routes on a tiny GPS screen.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Have a look at Talkytoaster's Garmin maps, which IIRC aren't too hard to install if you follow the instructions. He has a free British Isles map, as well as a paid-for one with the OS look and feel.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks, I'll give them a try.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

1:50,000 OS Landrangers are available for Garmins, but they aren't cheap: (£100 for southern England and Wales: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GB-Disc ... r+southern)

All the free/ low cost maps are based upon the same OpenStreetMap data so it is worth trying a few to see which layout you prefer. You can even have several different maps on your Etrex if you prefer different maps for different purposes.
Binkyboy

Post by Binkyboy »

I use http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Free maps of the entire world, but only download the ones you need for your trip, or you'll quickly run out of memory.

Easy installation and free.

I'm surprised your eTrex 30 doesn't have a map of the UK pre-installed, but perhaps you bought a budget version.

BACK UP YOUR FILES FIRST BEFORE LOADING ANYTHING ONTO YOUR MACHINE!
Then if it all goes wrong, you can go back to where you were.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

None of these will make the eTrex 30 any easier to use, though. It will remain a complex and quirky device that requires a good deal of patience to learn.

If you’re looking for auto-routing, like a car sat-nav, your best bet may be Garmin’s City Navigator maps. They only show roads, however, so cannot replace OS-style maps.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Samuel D wrote:None of these will make the eTrex 30 any easier to use, though. It will remain a complex and quirky device that requires a good deal of patience to learn.

True, but you will be rewarded amply. Ditto the etrex 20 which is the one i would recommend to new purchasers.

Plus 1 for openfietsmap.
Sweep
Binkyboy

Post by Binkyboy »

I was so annoyed at the Garmin Edge Touring, I bought the eTrex 30. Whilst still being not the easiest thing to use, it is easier to use than the Edge Touring.
After a lot of use, I have now pretty much got to grips with the eTrex, but I do wish Garmin would supply some decent instructions on what each function does and how to use it rather than little more than simply how to switch it on and off.
Last edited by Binkyboy on 2 Sep 2016, 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

At the risk of a quick divert blinky, got to ask, why were you annoyed with the garmin touring?
Sweep
Binkyboy

Post by Binkyboy »

Sweep wrote:At the risk of a quick divert blinky, got to ask, why were you annoyed with the garmin touring?

Partly ignorance of how to actually use it, because of the poor instructions,
    partly due to the difficulty of trying to do anything accurate with the touch screen,
    partly due to the slow response time after making a turn,
    partly due to the awful "keyboard" when trying to type something,
    partly due to the fact it still tried to send me on muddy paths despite having deselected them

I still have it and occasionally use it, thinking it can't be as bad as I remember, but remain disappointed.

The eTrex with it's much better instructions, joy stick and easily replaceable AA batteries that can be replaced without the unit losing where it was, more features and quicker response is a much better bit of kit in my opinion.

It still has the annoying habit of freezing if you ask it to navigate somewhere, and ignore it's instructions more than a couple of times. The only way to unfreeze it is to remove the batteries and start again, but at least it does remember where it was and what it was trying to do.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply.
Agree with you totally about the etrex20/30 - great bit of kit despite its foibles/minor annoyances. I too sometimes get freezes and have ti remove batteries. There really should be a reset button. Could be weather protected like the usb port.
Sweep
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I have also found that my etrex 30 stops navigating (freezes?) sometimes but pressing the back key seems to restore the situation.
I'm not very competent at these things so it has taken me a lot of trial and error to have some idea of the workings of this device but I have found the Etrex 30 very useful.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Binkyboy wrote:I use http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Free maps of the entire world, but only download the ones you need for your trip, or you'll quickly run out of memory.

Easy installation and free.

I'm surprised your eTrex 30 doesn't have a map of the UK pre-installed, but perhaps you bought a budget version.

BACK UP YOUR FILES FIRST BEFORE LOADING ANYTHING ONTO YOUR MACHINE!
Then if it all goes wrong, you can go back to where you were.

I decided to use this site to obtain a map of Austria. I wanted to put the map on a SD card as I didn't want to risk corrupting anything on my etrex 30.
The data loaded onto my computer in a zipped file which I managed to open eventually - I'm not very IT savvy. After some dire warnings from the computer I was able to load the map onto the SD card. I put the SD card into the etrex but it didn't open (I could see OSM.Generic.Gmapsupp )
Took out the SD card put it back in the USB slot and opened basecamp. I managed to get the programme onto basecamp and tried maps. The programme appeared there but no maps - anyway I tried something like "organise maps" and a Garmin programme appeared showing the "tiles" for Austria.

The instruction was to choose the map sections I wanted (I wanted all of Austria) . The programme then put the tiles in a map format which I was able to send back to the SD card. This worked in the Garmin except that there were one or two areas missing.
Went back through the same procedure and realised that although it seemed I had selected all the Tiles - 73 in number - If I zoomed in some smaller areas appeared that I hadn't selected. I got up to 78 and reloaded to the SD card. I now have what seems to be a complete map of Austria on my Garmin.
I'm sure there is a better way to do this and I'm a bit bemused by it all.
What I want to know is - If I had downloaded directly to the etrex , would it have sent loaded to the auxiliary SD card or would it have loaded to any existing space on the built in SD card (which has UK topo maps on it)?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi ANTONISH

You are doing all the right things. If you have managed to download the tiles you want from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and unzipped the file, you have cracked it.

The unzipped file, as you have already recognised, will be called gmapsupp.img. Note that the .img suffix may be missing depending on how you have set up Windows.

All you have to do is copy this to the folder called Garmin on your SD card. That's it!(*) You may not however, realise that the map is loaded as the Garmin only wants to show maps in your vicinity.

Getting it to show can be fiddly if you are not in or close to the area of map coverage. You can try zooming right out or you can create a waypoint within the Austrian map area. If you then show the waypoint on a map, you should see the Austrian map data. (I am looking at it right now).

Basically, however, if you have copied the file gmapsupp.img to the folder called Garmin on the SD card, you are there. There is no need to use Basecamp.

(*It should show automatically bu if not, go to Setup, Map, Select Map and make sure that "OSM generic routable" is enabled)
geomannie