Maps for Etrex 30

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ANTONISH

Re: Maps for Etrex 30

Post by ANTONISH »

Thanks for that advice Geomannie. I did enable OSM Generic routable (63242088) _ I don't know what the number means but I couldn't find any evidence of a map. Besides that I now have OSM Generic Ro OSM generic routable AUT - which I can see refers to Austria. Maybe I got a bit confused but the SD card wouldn't give me a map in basecamp until I'd gone through the procedure with the tiles. It was as if the Garmin program was translating the data into a map format.
Obviously I've got to where I want to go after some frustration and playing about.
I'd like to make the point that the Etrex 30 can be a bit daunting - (a decent manual would be nice) - but if one perseveres it's a very useful device.
On the AUK website there is a link to Francis Cooke's series of guidance on GPS which is also informative.
Binkyboy

Post by Binkyboy »

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html

shows one way of loading free maps onto your Garmin
Brian696969

Post by Brian696969 »

I have the Edge 1000, and yes the manual is really useless, as are all Garmin manuals. Having said that, and having persevered for many months, I have to say that the 1000 is a very useful piece of equipment.Even now, I'm still finding new features that I never knew existed.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.