The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Zanda

Re: The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

Post by Zanda »

foxyrider wrote:
So all your 'problems' are already addressed quite adequately if you want to have solutions rather than barriers...

[/quote]

It could be better. There's room for development of products that make each of these four things easier. While each may seem like a minor problem, they can add up to a lot of faffing at the beginning and end of a journey, which is especially problematic on a journey that involves stopping and parking at numerous destinations.
Last edited by Zanda on 15 Feb 2018, 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I'm going to have to figure out a low-hassle way to take cross country skis on my bike.

I took them on the bus today, and that was definitely a hassle.

Either side of the topube held in place with toestraps :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I'm going to have to figure out a low-hassle way to take cross country skis on my bike.

I took them on the bus today, and that was definitely a hassle.

Either side of the topube held in place with toestraps :wink:

Flexible material that can be rolled would be the thing
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
drossall

Post by drossall »

A few starters :D
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

drossall wrote:
Zanda wrote:4. How to organise the contents of a bike pannier (or similar large bag) so each item is quickly retrievable.

For small items that rattle around, I'm finding the Cocoon Grid-It series quite good. I've got a large one in a rear pannier and small one in a bar bag.

That certainly looks like it would hold things securely in a pannier, and I can see it would be useful for organising the items in a small toolkit.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Could you put them on your back? They are fairly light, aren't they?

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

LollyKat wrote:

Could you put them on your back? They are fairly light, aren't they?

Maybe? I'm not so keen to carry stuff on my back. I think I will try strapping them to top tube and rack, first. But that might be a reasonable alternative if I don't figure out an easy way to put them on the bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

I was faced with this problem a few years back as, living in Cornwall, any X-country skiing trip to Scotland could mean that the snow had melted before I got there - which actually happened. But having the bike with me could have meant a simple switch to brilliant cycling along forestry tracks. Unforunately i never got to try it out.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just wear them on your feet. There could be a bit more toe overlap than usual :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:

Just wear them on your feet. There could be a bit more toe overlap than usual :wink: .

This conjured an image in my head of attempting to pedal with skis on my feet. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I s'pose the real issue isn't so much carrying the skis when cycling,more like carrying the bike when sking :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

XC skis... With an 8-Freight over-long things just sit on the load bin frame and overhang at the rear, or you can put the heels in the load bin and keep them in place by putting a pack on them. I've not actually taken my skis in this manner but I've taken similarly long chunks of wood about (I have skis up to 2 m, I'm not meaning short alpine boards) with no great bother.

My problem is the snow generally takes a drive. 50 mile round trip yesterday for a day's XC.

I wonder if you could get pedals which take a NNN or SNS binding, or skis that take SPuDs... :wink:

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:I s'pose the real issue isn't so much carrying the skis when cycling,more like carrying the bike when sking :shock:

:lol: :lol:
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Given the forecast weather next week and i am on night shift riding unlit country lanes it will be the car.
Just getting over a damaged shoulder from off last year thats taken 6 months + of physio to get to a state where i can consider riding anything more than a commute and i dont want to fark it up with another off.
Last week when it was icy the water run off from the fields caused patches of ice across the road , add in the -6 ? forecast makes me wary when i can be upright and warm even if im a little fatter for a week.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It took me 3hrs to drive 6 miles yesterday. I risked the bike today, it was far quicker. It kept me awake that’s for sure :shock: