The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
karlt

Re: The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

Post by karlt »

reohn2 wrote:
karlt wrote:..... I'm considering getting a CX bike so that when I'm not feeling like bashing hills I can use the TPT up the railway lines. TBH it's doable on a road bike, most of it anyway, but only when it's really dry, which doesn't tend to be when I feel like avoiding the hills.

I don't know which part of the TPT you live on but at the Liverpool/Manchester end of it varies from not too bad,to bl@@dy ridiculous and therein lies the problem.
There are numerous old railway beds that could be turned into a very good cycling network,add an E bike to that kind net work and things could take shape and look attractive for many people,people who wouldn't normally consider cycling as a viable option.
The problem is a myopic government both at local and national level who can't see further than the private car for quick short haul transport and as such will not invest in the infrastructure needed or the tax incentives,for other means of transport such as cycling.
Oh for politicians with some vision........

Chesterfield. Some bits of it are hard-packed, almost tarmac like. Other bits - well, I consider myself to have done well if I can get through on the MTB without putting a foot down... TBF they've improved some bits recently, but in a way that will not survive an even vaguely enthusiastic winter.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Oh for politicians with some vision........

Then everyone else can cover their eyes! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Oh for politicians with some vision........

Then everyone else can cover their eyes! :lol:

I meant 20/20 forward looking vision :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Its a no brainer.
Engine almost every time. Sadly we live in a society where many of us have relatively long distances to travel. I do 20 to 25 miles each way. The car is the most effective. The m/c has a shorter travelling time but factor in getting gear on and off at both ends of both journeys plus the misery factor in the winter and its only the economics that make me use the m/c . 98 mpg against 40.
Public transport could be linked with a folder but why? It costs as much , takes longer and adds the hassle of changing. To stay clean and tidy after a few miles on the bike doesn't work in tidy clothes.
I wish it was otherwise but it can't be.
Too much freedom of choice maybe. I regularly pass, going the other way, a teacher who works at the school just up the road from me. I do regular supply work at the school her kids go to!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Having bought an Avenir Mule trailer at the start of the year for carting around step stools, spades and all manner of other things for Sustrans Ranger work I decided to have a go at the weekly shopping.

Step one involved moving the car out of the garage to access the bike and the trailer. Step two hitching up the trailer. Step three getting the shopping bags from the boot of the car.

The largely downhill ride to the shops took longer than the car journey and whilst I didn't have to worry about getting a parking space, on this occasion there were plenty of car parking spaces available.

Shopping purchased I returned to load the trailer. There wasn't as much room in the trailer as I'd thought and a a few bits got squeezed in at the sides. Trailer loaded I backed it out of the parking space to discover that the fabric sides were rubbing on the wheels. Unloading and better distributing everything aroung the trailer was required before I was ready to go.

The ride home was largely uphill*. I chose my route with care to avoid most of the motor traffic. It was slow going. Back home everything was unpacked, the bike, trailer and car put back in the garage.

Whilst I enjoyed it more than a typical trip to the supermarket there was a definite increase in hassle. I was unable to visit a second supermarket for the bits I couldn't get at the first, fortunatley I'd planned ahead and had those delivered earlier in the week.

In the unlikely event that I should ever repeat the experience, I would probably get the 16L of bottled water delivered too :wink: .

Edit* 300ft climbing in apx 3.7 miles
Last edited by gaz on 18 Sep 2016, 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I take my trailer round the shop with me. It's better than a trolley, because I know what I can fit in for the journey home :)

It's even better if you have one of those wands where you can ring stuff up as you stick in the trailer, then go through self-checkout when finished.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

It was the water that caused the packing issue. Once I'd laid the bottles flat at the bottom of the trailer everything else just slotted in on top without any further problems. Prior planning and preparation .... :wink:

For myself if anything swings me to more regular bike shopping it will be the hassle of parking the car.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Is there something wrong with the tap water where you live Gaz?

I have done supermarket shops on my bike. The ride was pleasant although it involved reasonable hills. I have huge Arran Panniers and they would suffice perhaps every third shop, but unlike many people these days we do a weekly shop and that you couldnt do on a bike, barely enough space. Getting ready takes a few minutes and could incur clothing changes but its no hassle. The big NO for me is cycling a tortuous quiet route into a big town with busy traffic, I would rather be out in tbe countryside or woodland on my bike.
Driving is no hassle here. Drove into London last week in rush hour to attend an evening show at Hammersmith, long M4 queue from Heston Services but tackling queues is an attitude of mind. If I know where they are and how long you take I find them no problem. 1hr 20 minutes up there predicted by Google Maps which takes account of traffic and 1 hour 5 minutes return were both spot on predictions. Would have taken the train but someone decided to commit suicide on the track st Southall.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

gaz wrote:Having bought an Avenir Mule trailer at the start of the year for carting around step stools, spades and all manner of other things for Sustrans Ranger work I decided to have a go at the weekly shopping.

Step one involved moving the car out of the garage to access the bike and the trailer. Step two hitching up the trailer. Step three getting the shopping bags from the boot of the car.

The largely downhill ride to the shops took longer than the car journey and whilst I didn't have to worry about getting a parking space, on this occasion there were plenty of car parking spaces available.

Shopping purchased I returned to load the trailer. There wasn't as much room in the trailer as I'd thought and a a few bits got squeezed in at the sides. Trailer loaded I backed it out of the parking space to discover that the fabric sides were rubbing on the wheels. Unloading and better distributing everything aroung the trailer was required before I was ready to go.

The ride home was largely uphill. I chose my route with care to avoid most of the motor traffic. It was slow going. Back home everything was unpacked, the bike, trailer and car put back in the garage.

Whilst I enjoyed it more than a typical trip to the supermarket there was a definite increase in hassle. I was unable to visit a second supermarket for the bits I couldn't get at the first, fortunatley I'd planned ahead and had those delivered earlier in the week.

In the unlikely event that I should ever repeat the experience, I would probably get the 16L of bottled water delivered too :wink: .

What is wrong with the tap or are you too posh to drink tap water+
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Post by gaz »

It's Peckham Spring I'll have you know :mrgreen: .
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:It's Peckham Spring I'll have you know :mrgreen: .

Is your real name trotter?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Philip Benstead wrote:What is wrong with the tap or are you too posh to drink tap water+
We're very very lucky here that the water is beautiful to drink.

Daughter2 lives in Bedford, and the water there is awful in the extreme. Absolutely awful. You can taste it in tea and coffee.
I spent many years in the Portsmouth area when I was in the RN, and the water there is awful to drink too.
In Pompey, it even spoils white washing. Grey sheets and towels.

Hence I can see why people buy bottled water.
Mick F. Cornwall
Philip Benstead

Mick F wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:What is wrong with the tap or are you too posh to drink tap water+
We're very very lucky here that the water is beautiful to drink.

Daughter2 lives in Bedford, and the water there is awful in the extreme. Absolutely awful. You can taste it in tea and coffee.
I spent many years in the Portsmouth area when I was in the RN, and the water there is awful to drink too.
In Pompey, it even spoils white washing. Grey sheets and towels.

Hence I can see why people buy bottled water.
I thought we want to protect the environment buy ing bottle water is bad for the environment. If the water taste bad use a lemon slice or a water softener apparatus.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I could post my entire shopping list. Doubtless someone would then tell me that I could have grown my own parsnips and carrots, caught some fish in the river, foraged for mushrooms, etc.
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:I could post my entire shopping list. Doubtless someone would then tell me that I could have grown my own parsnips and carrots, caught some fish in the river, foraged for mushrooms, etc.
you could extract aluminium from the soil in your garden and smelt it over your gas stove and fashion you bike bits from it?