The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gaz

Re: The hassle of cycling versus the hassle of driving

Post by gaz »

I'm not sure the geology of Kent would allow for that. I could perhaps have more success digging a well :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

gaz wrote:I'm not sure the geology of Kent would allow for that. I could perhaps have more success digging a well :wink: .
I think your soil is about 5% al
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
mjr

Post by mjr »

Philip Benstead wrote:
Mick F wrote:Daughter2 lives in Bedford, and the water there is awful in the extreme. Absolutely awful. You can taste it in tea and coffee.
I thought we want to protect the environment buy ing bottle water is bad for the environment. If the water taste bad use a lemon slice or a water softener apparatus.

I think all of the Anglia water region has the same extremely hard water. It really is that bad. I grew up with it and only really notice it when returning home after travelling, but filtering will remove the stony taste. Maybe the same would work elsewhere?

Anyway, I do most of the shopping by bike, although recently I prefer Basil Mara panniers which collapse but when expanded take two grocery bags each side and another two strapped on top. Plus another in the basket on the front and I have a packable rucksack!

You can't beat bikes for visiting the market, as the number of bikes parked around it confirms! Also fairly easy at the butchers and fishmongers. Supermarkets OK, with some of them having 100 or so cycle parking spaces but they're really set up for motorists. It's just annoying when they give you a money off petrol voucher for your bike. :roll:

The trailer hasn't been to the supermarket recently. It gets used more for hauling gardening stuff. If I'm buying a large weight of drink, I internet order or visit on the way back from a motorised trip elsewhere :oops:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Mick F wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:What is wrong with the tap or are you too posh to drink tap water+
We're very very lucky here that the water is beautiful to drink.

Daughter2 lives in Bedford, and the water there is awful in the extreme. Absolutely awful. You can taste it in tea and coffee.
I spent many years in the Portsmouth area when I was in the RN, and the water there is awful to drink too.
In Pompey, it even spoils white washing. Grey sheets and towels.

Hence I can see why people buy bottled water.
I live in central London that has hard water I have never heard anybody complaining another it
meic

Post by meic »

They know no better!

I like fizzy water, I used to have a sodastream but getting gas refills became both difficult and expensive. Much cheaper to buy 2L bottles of cheapo bottled fizzy water, unlike Gaz I do it in bulk when using the car.

I am so posh that I even filter the relatively soft, fresh Carmarthenshire water.
Yma o Hyd
Philip Benstead

meic wrote:They know no better!

I like fizzy water, I used to have a sodastream but getting gas refills became both difficult and expensive. Much cheaper to buy 2L bottles of cheapo bottled fizzy water, unlike Gaz I do it in bulk when using the car.

I am so posh that I even filter the relatively soft, fresh Carmarthenshire water.
so much for the hard men of the ctc who can adapt to anything
meic

Post by meic »

I can adapt to suffering, I can even tour on a Brook's saddle! :mrgreen:
That doesnt mean that one has to lower ones standards in the home.
Yma o Hyd
horizon

Post by horizon »

mattsccm wrote:Its a no brainer.
Engine almost every time. Sadly we live in a society where many of us have relatively long distances to travel. I do 20 to 25 miles each way. The car is the most effective.

Just to flag this up - it's a common misconception. So it should read:

The car is the most effective and can do 20 to 25 miles each way. So sadly we live in a society where many of us travel relatively long distances.

It's quite extraordinary how this concept gets muddled up.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:

The car is the most effective and can do 20 to 25 miles each way. So sadly we live in a society where many of us travel relatively long distances.

So is what you're saying that if someone lives 20 miles from where they work and find that the car is more convenient,they should either move closer to their workplace so they can cycle to work,or be inconvenienced by cycling 20miles each way.
Of course there could public transport available with a folding bike at either end,or not.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

So is what you're saying that if someone lives 20 miles from where they work and find that the car is more convenient,they should either move closer to their workplace so they can cycle to work,or be inconvenienced by cycling 20miles each way.
Of course there could public transport available with a folding bike at either end,or not.

I think he is suggesting that society has arranged itself around the convenience and capability of the car.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I think he is suggesting that society has arranged itself around the convenience and capability of the car.

I see that but we are where we are,the clock can't be turned back,but a change can be made and TBH for most the change for people who presently live 20 miles from work won't be cycle commuting.
Quality,efficient,affordable,clean public transport could,and for most people something like this would be the solution of a mile or less shlep at either end:- http://www.electricmood.com/presentation
Far more convenient than a bike,but the major problem is public transport infrastructure,until then the car will clog up our roads
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

meic wrote:They know no better!

A health food store near me offers bottled water from Japan :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A health food store near me offers bottled water from Japan :(

I find that truly amazing,as it falls out of the sky with monotomous regularity where I live and is free to collect or I just turn on the tap.
Thinks... .....I suppose it could be Zen non water,water that isn't,yet is,and therefore a better incarnation of water........

PS,go one then,how much per ltr :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Jan 2018, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

axel_knutt wrote:Walk.

Just grab your coat and walk out of the door. No need to change, no need to stop at every traffic light, no need to go all round the one way system, no need to find somewhere to park and lock the bike, no bike to get stolen or vandalised, no need to swap all the shopping from the carrier bags into the panniers.

Push your bike round the shop, load panniers and 'scan as you shop' if you can.
Else it's an unload/scan/load at the checkout.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:A health food store near me offers bottled water from Japan :(

I find that truly amazing,as it falls out of the sky with monotomous regularity where I live and is free to collect or I just turn on the tap.
Thinks... .....I suppose it could be Zen non water,water that isn't,yet is,and therefore a better incarnation of water........

PS,go one then,how much per ltr :wink:

I saw it when going by, I never shop there

I will have a look tomorrow probably and report back
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies