One armed cyclist looking for inspiration

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
9494arnold

Re: One armed cyclist looking for inspiration

Post by 9494arnold »

I did my CTC Ride Leader Training with a one armed guy, he had flat bars , a "trigger" style up and down changer for the rear mech and a twist grip for the front mech . Can't remember what he did for Braking in honesty but it wouldn't be rocket science to run 2 brakes off one lever, tandemists do it. And you could set up a ratchet gear lever as a "drag" brake option.
Or you could go "old school!" with a back pedal brake but that'd restrict gearing I fear.
I'd suggest NOT an upright trike, I am a seasoned Trikie and keeping a firm grip on the bars is crucial for safety in my humble opinion. Good luck with it all :)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

One armed Walter Greaves rode 45,000 miles in a year in 1936. I wonder how he set his bike up?
Benlee

Post by Benlee »

I have full brachial plexus injury from motorbike accident too. I ride full mountainbike no problem. If you still need advise let me know
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

bigjim wrote:One armed Walter Greaves rode 45,000 miles in a year in 1936. I wonder how he set his bike up?

He lost his arm just below the elbow when he was 14.
Attachments
Greaves.png
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

2 brakes off one lever:-

If you have both brakes on one lever, you can't slow down quicker than would cause the rear wheel to skid, and at that point you will be slowing less quickly than you could be using just a front brake.

I'd recommend having two levers on the same side, maybe a reverse action lever for the ring and little fingers operating the rear brake, and a regular flat bar lever for the index and middle fingers operating the front brake.
This also has the advantage of being legal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I suspect legality shifts for specially adapted vehicles.

The move to a 'bent trike makes many problems go away (I tend to ride one armed muchnof the time) but it is a fairly significant step.

I'd consider the terrain you expect to be riding - and build up from the gearing...

1* has obvious advantages, with a hubbgear at the rear you can have a coaster brake to simplify that aspect as well (somewhat limits gear range - but that might not be a problem)

Brakes are the next issue. You will likely only have one lever, so dual pull/cable splitter/other braking system.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Just had another thought on this subject ,Older Tandems and the odd Trike I have seen had a footbrake on the chainstay/drainpipe (activate it with your heel) : of course neither would have had a wheel /gear mech in close proximity to complicate matters. Usually with a Hub Brake if memory serves.
And I think I said in my original post,bar end / "flat bar" index/ratched gear levers can be utilised as "drag" brake levers, just don't forget to let them off (which you don't have to do on a conventional brake !!)

And of course there's always fixed ..................
millimole

Post by millimole »

When I had my first 'proper' bike stolen from school in 1971 a one-armed work mate of my father sold me his bike. That Hetchins - built for him - in 1946 had a Sturmey Archer 3-speed coaster hub brake, and no other modifications. He had used it for touring England, Scotland and Wales. 3 speed coaster hubs may not be the best modern choice but it goes to show what is possible.
(I went on to use the same bike in the same configuration on CTC club runs, and hostelling in England and France. I still have it - but with rim brakes)

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Benlee

Post by Benlee »

My one arm set up works fine once you get used to it
Attachments
My one arm setup
My one arm setup
IMG_0868.JPG (32.93 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Many years ago I rode with a clubmate who had a badly deformed left hand, he had a very well made foot lever operating the rear brake. His frame had braze-ons that the lever was fitted onto, he preferred the this system to coupled brakes as it gave him more control when braking.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I ride every Wednesday with a one armed cyclist and a paraplegic , has both gear changers on the one side of his handlebars and a US made device that was I believe designed for kiddy bikes that puts both brakes on together . I also race with another guy who has virtually to no use of one arm . They seem to manage OK. Close riding can be an issue as in races sudden manoeuvres around the likes of pot holes is tricky .Not too aero in TTs as cant get down as far but I have been overtaken by them

If you need any more details PM me
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Only just seen this thread. I think I was on tour/holiday when it started

On a bike I've found that it's about mostly how much control you retain when you let go of the handle bars with your good hand and how stable are you out of the saddle.
I'm was fine riding no handed so letting go with my good hand was ok. But couldn't balance out of the saddle due too much movement through the artificial arm. So I went recumbent trike.

After that it a question on how "legal" you want to be and how many controls you want under your good hand.
LHDubs

Post by LHDubs »

DaveGos wrote:I ride every Wednesday with a one armed cyclist and a paraplegic , has both gear changers on the one side of his handlebars and a US made device that was I believe designed for kiddy bikes that puts both brakes on together . I also race with another guy who has virtually to no use of one arm . They seem to manage OK. Close riding can be an issue as in races sudden manoeuvres around the likes of pot holes is tricky .Not too aero in TTs as cant get down as far but I have been overtaken by them

If you need any more details PM me

Hi, I have one hand and I’m looking for help in adapting a road bike, could you contact me about this please DaveGos thanks
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sarah Storey has both brakes run off one lever. IIRC Magura have a setup specifically for doing this.

A Uni acquaintance lost both arms and both legs below knees and elbows, and he cycles a surprisingly conventional bike (up to Ironman triathlon distance!).

It has controls fettled with things like soup spoons to allow pushing with stumps for gears and brakes (the magnets on the pedals allow semi-fastening to metal in his feet, so no need for clipless pedals, not really relevant here but that's what those are if you were wondering)

So you don't necessarily have to stray too far from normality, though having said that I'd personally look to either sitting bolt upright or in a laid-back chair, both of which remove all the weight from the arms and make one handed control much easier.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...