Sunglasses for cutting down glare??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RecumbentRide

Sunglasses for cutting down glare??

Post by RecumbentRide »

After I lost my Nike £70 sunglasses after leaving them on the roof of the car many years ago I've resorted to cheapo sunglasses (Lidls cycling sunglasses as well as various safety ones) and managed but recently, and I'm not sure if this is to do with age, I'm having problems. The biggest problem is when going from sunlight into shade I can barely see a damn thing. When approaching the area in shade I'm practically doing so blind.
I've seen a long thread on another cycling forum discussing the merits of polarised glasses and tbh it was far from conclusive so back to square one as I'd thought that's what would have solved my problem. So what do I need to do? I'm happy to spend 30-40 £s ball park on a decent pair of sunglasses which can see into the shade when transitioning from sun to shade, be scratch resistant and ideally have easy interchangeable lenses. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated :)
Bonefishblues

Re: Sunglasses for cutting down glare??

Post by Bonefishblues »

Try a yellow shade - all sunglasses cut out a majority of transmitted light, so they will reduce glare in bright light, (I use a yellowish polarised lens for fishing in the Tropics) but they are also effective in dull conditions.

Do remember that whatever tint you use your pupils will still need time to react though.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Decathlon do a range of cheap glasses - various hues - larger lenses than the Lidl type.
I tend to lose sun glasses and after losing an expensive pair I decided to go for the disposable option.
iow

Post by iow »

I use bolle spider safety glasses - good at cutting glare without a dark tint, some mechanical protection and cheap (c. £6.00).
these would be 10 x the price if they featured in bolle's 'designer' range of sunglasses.
mark
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Not near any Decathlons any time soon but the Bolle saftey glasses might be worth a shot but I have to say I'm dubious about their performance vs the expensive ones. Wish I could just test a range of glasses but I suppose the only was to do that would be to order online and test them out.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I would have no concerns about anything made by Bolle tbh.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

iow wrote:I use bolle spider safety glasses - good at cutting glare without a dark tint, some mechanical protection and cheap (c. £6.00).
these would be 10 x the price if they featured in bolle's 'designer' range of sunglasses.

Just ordered a pair off Ebay. They do look nice so looking forward to trying them out :)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've just had a wander around indisutrial safety kit suppliers and the feedback is universally excellent.

A very good recommendation, might pass on the tip on a fishing forum. (5-3.1 is the polarised version BTW)
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Bonefishblues wrote:(5-3.1 is the polarised version BTW)

Well I've gone and done it now, cleared out my bank account on a pair of these. Simply no going back 8)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
They do yellow lenses in cat 0 or cat 1, any other than clear lenses and are dangerous in the dark.
Found out the hard way on a al day all night ride had to go bare over night.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:had to go bare over night.

You're lucky the police didn't pull you in!!
freiston

Post by freiston »

I use cheap safety glasses of the bolle spider ilk (including a clear lens bolle model) and they are fine imho. I cannot understand spending a heap for cycling sunglasses when there are glasses out there costing a few quid and meeting international standards for eye protection in industrial use (which I reckon must count for good protection whilst cycling).

Personally, without wanting to sound alarmist or worrying, I think you should get your eyes checked out - I started to get issues with glare and sensitivity (amongst other things) when my cataract developed. The cataract is now gone and in its place I have a plastic lens.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I used to spend a decent amount on sunglasses as I needed prescription inserts. But I discovered to my surprise when in an Aldi, looking at signs, that I could read them better without my glasses. Vision has clearly shifted with age. So no longer needing inserts I bought some of their glasses with interchangeable lenses - dark/yellow/clear. All of £3.99. And they actually look more stylish than my Spesh ones. GF thinks they suit me.

Although the lenses can be swapped it's a bit of a fag so at that price I just carry two pairs - one with dark lenses fitted/others with yellow.

So I have decided against auto-changing lenses - I reckon it's better to have separate lenses - any shift in light is unlikely to be an immediate hazard if you have your wits about you. My rather expensive Spesh glasses had also gradually become scratched anyway. Now if my Aldo ones get scratched I can just throw an old set of lenses away and fit new ones - I now have several pairs.

They are still on sale in some stores and now REDUCED to about £2.80.

Be careful if buying several pairs for future lens swapping - there are two separate designs and the lenses are not interchangeable - take a close look at the frames.

So I'm now captain cool on my sub £3 glasses.

The Oakleys have also been retired - they don't fit as well and, I kid you not, once on a ride when I took them off a young woman actually said, with no irony, "sweep, you're really good looking without your glasses" - so much for the £200 plus those cost me donkey's years ago.:)

Recumbentride - I too reccomend the yellow lenses for lower light conditions. A good compromise. They are so decent that at least in town I rarely use clear lenses.

These are the ones:

Appears that someone else thinks they are hot:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sports- ... di-2227305
Sweep
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Ordered these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181721416676?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But I will be looking at dark shades for those sticky heat wave days with clear skies we apparently are now getting in the UK. I think the most demanding situations are for when you are going from sun to shade and the cheap glasses (dark tints) may not be up to this as I've experienced with my Lidl glasses. This may very well be the one area where the cheapo sunglasses may not be up to the more expensive ones.

I too have found for most days the yellow tints to be excellent for all day use. As regards clear and yellow tinted glasses the Bolle safety ones are more than good enough.
RickH

Post by RickH »

For rapidly changing light conditions there's always these that change in 0.1 second. But not cheap - RRP £299! :shock:

As a slightly less expensive option, as I need glasses for pretty much everything beyond about a foot from my face, I have some Rudy Projects that have a clear optical lens with a flip up polarised lens that is clipped to the bridge. I mainly use them for driving or, without the clip on bit, night cycling, as they are clearer than the photochromic lenses in my cycling glasses.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.