Hi! New to forum, advice required!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robrichards

Hi! New to forum, advice required!

Postby robrichards » 17 Sep 2016, 8:41am

Having just passed my 39th birthday I decided it is time to really make a change before its too late!

I've been overweight (approx 240-245lbs) for some time mainly due to poor diet and lack of exercise so I wanted two to get to 196lbs by next September.

I've tried running but it knackers my feet and knees in so I've turned to cycling. Work has just started a cycle to work scheme so it's seems a great opportunity.

I had my heart set on a specialized allez sport but have just discovered I might be too heavy for a road bike? Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D6603 using Tapatalk

Bonefishblues

Re: Hi! New to forum, advice required!

Postby Bonefishblues » 17 Sep 2016, 9:06am

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 17 Sep 2016, 9:12am

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

I'no expert in this area but I was just under 220 lb when I started cyclng again, my first road bike was a Giant scr 1.5 annd no problems with it. Whereabouts are you ? Perhaps someone might be able to suggest a decent local bike shop for you.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

robrichards

Re: RE: Re: Hi! New to forum, advice required!

Postby robrichards » 17 Sep 2016, 9:14am

Bonefishblues wrote:I think you're fine :D

https://media.specialized.com/support/0 ... 047554.pdf

Thanks for this! Phew! No excuses now

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D6603 using Tapatalk

robrichards

Re: RE: Re: Hi! New to forum, advice required!

Postby robrichards » 17 Sep 2016, 9:17am

ferrit worrier wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum :D

I'no expert in this area but I was just under 220 lb when I started cyclng again, my first road bike was a Giant scr 1.5 annd no problems with it. Whereabouts are you ? Perhaps someone might be able to suggest a decent local bike shop for you.

Malc

Thanks, I've got a few good shops round my way, but the link posted above will do to reassure me. I guess I will be more prone to punctures but that's my own fault & good motivation to lose weight!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 17 Sep 2016, 9:19am

Hi and welcome, no reason why you should not ride a Specialized Allez, I had a friend who often ballooned to that sort of weight in winter and never changed his bikes.......
You might also want to check this thread out;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109105
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 17 Sep 2016, 1:13pm

exercise alone wont lose you weight - you need to eat less.

dday

Postby dday » 17 Sep 2016, 2:38pm

Depending on the surfaces you're riding, even an entry level bike will carry your weight just fine. And you won't be at that weight for long. If anything needed to be changed on the bike you end up with, it would be wheel sets. But I'll wager even these will be more than adequate for your needs. My weight had been at a time near where you are and I've not found any worries at all on the capabilities of the machine.

"Ride lots" per Eddy Merckx, but ride with a plan that fits your goals. Good luck.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 17 Sep 2016, 6:39pm

I wouldn't worry about your weight so much per se EXCEPT bear in mind that a sports bike has
a) Lightweight wheels
b) High gearing

a) I had a bike built last year, the bike shop recommended a pair of very nice Mavic wheels - to which I asked "I'm knocking on 80kg, will these wheels be OK with my weight, the bike, and a bit of luggage" Fine said the shop, and it has been - the stated weight for this pair of wheels is 120kg. Something to bear in mind methinks? (Or maybe they aren't - I had the dreaded Mavic creak-cauised-by-de-bonding-rear-hub!)

b) gears - go for low hybrid, MTB or touring gears - this means a triple, with maybe a range of 20" - 100" - you might otherwise find the gearing much too high especially on the hills. Put simply - at last two, preferably three, of the rear sprockets to have more teeth than your smallest chainwheel.

It may be very difficult to change the gears to get them lower on a sports bike once bought, without loads of dosh (if at all). If you want the sporty position, go for a dropped-bar tourer instead, and benefit from mudguards! My tourer is quite "sporty" in this respect, and has the modern combined brake/gear levers and all that stuff. As well a bell and whistles - no, sorry, bell, mudguards, and a rack - somewhere to carry stuff. Like water bottles, a sarny or two, even a flask of hot choccy on a cold day!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 18 Sep 2016, 6:46am

Hi

+1 on the gearing. Depending on where you are and how fit you are the gearing on the Spesh might be too high initially.
There's nothing wrong with your choice of brand (I own a Spesh), but it might end up in a dusty corner of the shed if you find it too much like hard work.

Mountain bike (MTB) gearing can be a bit too spread out for road use, and you tend to drag the weight of suspension forks and off-road tyres around too.

I would look at a road bike with a triple chainset rather than a double (and that includes compact doubles). Assuming that you're starting now and intend to keep going, you'll need mudguards from October on; check that there is provision for those. You can get clip-on guards for sportier bikes but they wouldn't be my choice for winter use.
My final query would be tyre size; 25mm seems to be the standard fit on the E5 Allez, which is fine, but on UK roads you might prefer 28mm or more. Can you fit a larger tyre AND mudguards if you wanted to?

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 18 Sep 2016, 8:00am

I'm currently 224lbs myself ( :oops: ) and you're definitely not too heavy for a road bike. Get the Allez and enjoy.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

PH

Postby PH » 18 Sep 2016, 8:27am

tim-b wrote:
I would look at a road bike with a triple chainset rather than a double (and that includes compact doubles). Assuming that you're starting now and intend to keep going, you'll need mudguards from October on; check that there is provision for those. You can get clip-on guards for sportier bikes but they wouldn't be my choice for winter use.
My final query would be tyre size; 25mm seems to be the standard fit on the E5 Allez, which is fine, but on UK roads you might prefer 28mm or more. Can you fit a larger tyre AND mudguards if you wanted to?
Regards
tim-b

What tim-b says.
Road bikes are at the fashionable end of cycling, it's what the industry promote and the retailers sell most of, if you've got your heart set on an Allez, I expect you won't be persuaded otherwise and I expect you will be fine on it.
I'm 200lb at my absolute fittest and have sometimes been 50lb heavier. I wouldn't consider a using 25mm tyres. Either you're going to need them pumped up so hard they'll give a harsh ride or you're going to suffer pinch flats. For me 28mm on a comfortable steel frame are just acceptable and 32mm compared to 25s are like floating on a magic carpet and as a consequence faster.
Head down, bum up, is also part of the road bike fashion, it may be great for aerodynamics, but if you're not (Yet) that super athlete then something where the bars can be set level with the saddle would be a comfortable starting point. It's a lot easier to lower them later than it can be to raise them.
Low gears are another unfashionable item, but not as unfashionable as knackered knees. Don't take my word for it, how to lower gearing is one of the most asked questions on this forum.
Neither do I understand the fashion for getting wetter and dirtier than needed, maybe people like washing their bikes or see it as some kind of badge of honour, part of the suffering so loved by the Straverists, I see my mudguards as a badge of practicability. I might not always have them fitted, but on a bike I'll ride in all weathers I wouldn't consider not having the option.

I probably wouldn't start with any road bike, but for those that would and at this price point, the Decathlon Triban 520 covers most of the above points.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... 22663.html

Read this review and I doubt you'd find one thing. other than brand name or fashion, that didn't make this a better starter bike.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/btwin-tr ... eview.html

EDIT - How rude of me, welcome to the forum and enjoy your cycling :D

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 Sep 2016, 9:06am

I expect OP truffled off and bought a bike yesterday :D

If not, I expect that the OP will buy the Allez that has stolen his heart, and will be fine on it until there's that ever-so-slight nag that there might be a bike more suited to his purpose, and so the whole n+1 cycle (see what I did there) will begin again :lol:

PH

Postby PH » 18 Sep 2016, 9:27am

Bonefishblues wrote:I expect OP truffled off and bought a bike yesterday :D

If not, I expect that the OP will buy the Allez that has stolen his heart, and will be fine on it until there's that ever-so-slight nag that there might be a bike more suited to his purpose, and so the whole n+1 cycle (see what I did there) will begin again :lol:

I expect you're right.
I also expect that for every time it leads to N+1 there's many more that lead to N stuck in the back of the garage gathering dust after the new rider has "discovered" that cycling wasn't for them after all.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 Sep 2016, 10:11am

PH wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I expect OP truffled off and bought a bike yesterday :D

I expect you're right.
I also expect that for every time it leads to N+1 there's many more that lead to N stuck in the back of the garage gathering dust after the new rider has "discovered" that cycling wasn't for them after all.

Cough second hand bargains cough.

Everyone's a winner :D