Keeping Dry on a recumbent

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nickodemia

Keeping Dry on a recumbent

Post by nickodemia »

Has anyone found a jacket that actually keeps the rain out when riding a recumbent ? Any recommendations please.
pwa

Re: Keeping Dry on a recumbent

Post by pwa »

I've always wondered about that. Conventional waterproofs rely on you having your torso above your legs.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

fairing ?
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depends how reclined you are...

My lidl jackets are goor anything up to heavy rain - but at that point you're going to get wet. You either get wet from the outside or you wear something totally waterproof and boil in the bag.
A poncho might work well, with a couple of bungees to the cross bar?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I wear the same as on an "normal" bike and do not notice any difference
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:I wear the same as on an "normal" bike and do not notice any difference

And what is that, o sage?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

as above, I wear the same as on my uprights, Goretex jacket and overtrousers, plus shoe covers and suitable gloves depending on season. I still get somwhat damp but from sweat/condensation rather than the rain per se.

The overtrousers are high enough and jacket long enough for my approx. 35-40 degree recline on the Bacchetta Giro.
deryck

Post by deryck »

I use my "upWrong" gear - the big plus on a recumbent is that your shoes don't tend to fill up with water from running down your waterproofs.