"Uni" bikes (Warning: long and potentially boring!)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

"Uni" bikes (Warning: long and potentially boring!)

Post by niggle »

For some reason I have had requests from my daughter, my son and now my older stepdaughter for bikes to use at university, all within the last few months. Naturally I am delighted by the idea that their generation is embracing the bicycle as affordable and healthy transport and hope that once they get in to the habit it will stick with them. My two offspring are in Brighton and the step daughter is in Liverpool.

Uni Bike One:

My daughter's £8 Raleigh Cameo, hub date 1987, has already featured in some threads on here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107926

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107969

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108075

The bike is now in daily use to and from uni and work, it was serviced and improved with alloy rims (fitted to original spokes with new nipples), new brake levers and BMX linear brake cables. I had to replace the broken indicator chain, hub cones and a couple of pawl pins in the SA AW, but it now works just fine after a strip down and re-lube with Penrite semi-fluid grease, plus Morris K99 water resistant grease in the dust shield labrynths. I also replaced the original cup & cone BB and cottered chainset with a sealed Sunrace square taper BB and Suntour alloy chainset (ex Carrera Subway 8 ) with FSA single speed 32T chainring, as the original BB was rusted out with pitted bearing surfaces on the axle and cups. This was matched to a 16T sprocket and getting a good chainline was easy with the range of adjustability on the SA, with two spacer washers to play with and options of sprocket dishing and orientation.

The 41"-73" gearing range is reported to be spot on, she stays in 3rd for most of her regular journeys which are relatively flat, so she has the two lower ratios available for if she goes elsewhere up the steeper streets etc., of which there are plenty in Brighton. She is quite happy to walk if necessary to avoid getting too sweaty etc. before arriving at a social destination. She is also quite happy to lock the bike up with a nice solid D lock to one of the many bike racks in town, amongst the many other bikes hers looks well below average in terms of value. It is similar at home where she locks it on the pavement to some very solid cast iron railings outside, in direct sight of her bedroom and on a street where there are several other bikes including much more valuable ones locked up to the railings with mostly flimsier looking cable locks, plus a bike rack with another dozen or so similar round the corner. Bike theft is common in Brighton but OTOH she has safety in numbers as well as the low theft attraction of her bike working in her favour.

The original OEM Raleigh whitewall tyres were disintegrating so were replaced with Ebay cheapo 'Vandorms': I would not recommend these, they are skinny and stiff so not a great ride quality, though they do roll reasonably well and look like they should last a while. I have since noticed Spa cycles are selling Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in the appropriate 26 x 1 3/8" size for £8.50 each, in black or cream- in hindsight I think a pair of these would have been well worth an extra few £s.

Here is the Raleigh complete except for the MInoura black steel rack and rear BS approved Eurolight with built in BS reflector, which were fitted later:

I will get around to totaling up the cost of sorting out the Raleigh soon, but I suspect it will add up to more than the total cost will be for

Uni bike 2:

that I picked up for my stepdaughter, even though it cost £85. This is a rather lovely Dawes Diploma, hub dated 1992:

Highlights:
Weinmann alloy levers and brakes, alloy stem and bars, alloy square taper chainset, Rigida alloy 700c rims, new rear Vredestein Classic cream tyre. Rides superbly and feels lighter than the Raleigh.

Negatives: the front tyre is an ancient unsightly Vredestein Sport, with crumbly looking sidewalls, probably OEM, probably ought to be replaced (I do have a large stock of Vittoria Voyager Hypers in the right size but they are possibly not that suitable for city use by someone not practiced in puncture fixing). The Nimbus shifter is not as nice to use as the classic trigger IMO. The front brake is not all that good- new cable and pads needed? Don't like the brake cable being routed through the frame like that. The rear mudguard bracket at the brake bridge is broken. Rims need truing.

Concerns: It is far too attractive for it's own good- likely thief magnet in Liverpool, where at home it can only be kept outside in the back yard. This has high walls and locked wooden gate but still not very secure IMO- a solid ring set into a wall or concreted in the ground would be better but not sure the landlord will cooperate with this. In town fewer other bikes around and fewer bike racks from what I recall.

Uni Bike 3:

I had already built a bike for my son some years ago, based around a 1990s Barracuda A2E Tange chromoly steel 14" MTB frame, like this:

but with matching rigid steel forks. This was a gift from a friend who's daughter had out grown it. It was built up with parts from my own 8 spd low end hardtail GT MTB that had been abandoned due to me simply not liking it and the front fork being knackered. (I sold the alloy GT frame on for a few £s, it was too big for my son anyway.) The GT drive train needed a new cassette and chain and the frame was missing the required threaded 1 1/8" headset. The GT front mech band was too large, but the frame had come with a suitable STX mech which worked fine, despite a fair amount of slop.

The seat post was an unusual diameter, can't remember what but we had to get a moderately expensive one from SJS, which then had to be cut down. The V-brakes, STI levers and wheels all came from the GT and were just fine and I fitted new Clarks stainless cables all round. The frame was quite long despite the 14" seat tube, so straight bars were a bit of a stretch, therefore fitted some Zoom brand swept back 'comfort' bars that I already had 'in stock', which did the trick.

The frame was originally pinky-purple and silver as pictured above but very tatty with lots of surface rust. Son demanded removal of all pinkness so I stripped it with Nitromors and wire brushed and sanded all the rust off, primed with several coats of an anti-rust primer and finished with black Plasticote. This was not the best choice as it turned out as not nearly as tough as the manufacturer promises, until a few months old when it does harden up, so it quickly acquired quite a few battle scars, though the primer seems to be doing a good job of keeping rust at bay.

My son got a place at Sussex University this year and requested that I gave the Barracuda a 'once over'. He has only grown a couple of inches since we built it and is still only 5' tall, so the bike is still a good fit, the seat only needed raising a couple of cms. Most things are still fine, but the front rim has worn to 1mm thickness at the brake track and new brake pads needed all round- Jagwire brand brake blocks and single wall 26" rim bought cheaply from Ebay.

We did plan to fit a hub dynamo lighting set-up, but were let down by the spoke supplier for the wheel build so cheap Ebay Novatech EDH-2 dynamo hub, Union Hilux front light and expensive but good Spanninga Lineo rear light not fitted, son has taken my Axa 15 lux USB rechargeable front light and Spanninga battery rear rack light for now- he will back in December when he can bring front wheel with him by train if we decide he is going to move to dynamo lighting, though I have pinched back the Novatech and lights for my own use :twisted:

I had removed the wobbly and rather short black plastic mudguards and 1.6" Conti Sport Contacts and put them back on the Carrera Subway * that they came from before I sold the Carrera, so the tyres and guards that I had been using on that went on the Barrcuda: GB stainless guards and 1.5" Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks. The latter are super supple and quick but maybe a bit slick for greasy urban roads in the wet- have warned son about this, but maybe some Randonneur Pros might be a good replacement.

(Pictures to follow)
rjb

Re: "Uni" bikes (Warning: long and potentially boring!)

Post by rjb »

My daughter took her bike to Uni, a basic bottom of the range road bike with lowered gearing (I replaced the 42/52 chainset with a 28/40 ). All the bikes at her hall of residence in Oxford were housed in a locked steel cage. One morning soon after she started someone cut through the cage and removed all the new MTB style bikes which new students had brought with them. The only one left behind was my daughters.!
Something to think about.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
niggle

Post by niggle »

rjb wrote:My daughter took her bike to Uni, a basic bottom of the range road bike with lowered gearing (I replaced the 42/52 chainset with a 28/40 ). All the bikes at her hall of residence in Oxford were housed in a locked steel cage. One morning soon after she started someone cut through the cage and removed all the new MTB style bikes which new students had brought with them. The only one left behind was my daughters.!
Something to think about.

I noticed quite a mix of bikes in Brighton: MTBs were there but only about 30% and mainly either ancient low end steel frame ones or utter BSOs. There were lots more practical hybrids and city/dutch style bikes and quite a few mudguard-less fast road flat bar and drop bar bikes, fixies etc, at least half of which were higher end and would have cost well over the £1K mark new, ditto the hybrid and city bikes.

However Liverpool appeared to be mainly cheap MTBs and BSOs. Sadly I think it all relates to the socio-economic group of the population... Oxford is, I believe, a case of significant disparity between the resident population and the students.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I think the first step-through is probably close to the ultimate 'leave anywhere' bike. Firstly, it is a step-through, what kind of ruffian would want to steal that? Then there is the shabby paintwork, which I think has an allure of its own, but certainly not to your typical thief. The hubs gears make it easy to service.

It is certainly the kind of bike a thief wouldn't bother to steal, even though it is better suited for purpose than 90% of the others he would pinch. Sometimes it helps, living in a world where function follows form.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Freddie wrote:I think the first step-through is probably close to the ultimate 'leave anywhere' bike. Firstly, it is a step-through, what kind of ruffian would want to steal that? Then there is the shabby paintwork, which I think has an allure of its own, but certainly not to your typical thief. The hubs gears make it easy to service.

It is certainly the kind of bike a thief wouldn't bother to steal, even though it is better suited for purpose than 90% of the others he would pinch. Sometimes it helps, living in a world where function follows form.

Agreed- the Dawes could be made a lot less attractive to thieves by slathering on some acrylic paint (easy to remove later with nail polish remover) in an unattractive shade of matt black, mud brown or such like.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

niggle

Congratulations to you and any other justifiably proud parents whose kids have gone to university, with or without bikes. :D

Having just read your post on the benefits of social media, I'd be cautious about advertising the benefits of utilitarian bikes in a way that be seen by the baddies as well as the goodies. Keep it at "Raleigh: the All-steel bicycle", rathedr than "All steal Raleigh bicycles." :wink:

It's made me reflect how those are the sort of bikes children once got for passing the 11+ or whatever and used throughout their teens and beyond as normal personal transport.
james01

Post by james01 »

When preparing a Uni bike for your offspring the amount of time and money spent should be limited by the question: "How will I feel when it gets stolen?". :(
Anyway, it's very satisfying to hear of students using bikes for practical transport :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: ............ made me reflect how those are the sort of bikes children once got for passing the 11+ or whatever and used throughout their teens and beyond as normal personal transport.
I got my Hercules for my 12th birthday back in 1965.

It was still being used as "personal transport" as late as 1981 aged nearly 29 :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
niggle

Post by niggle »

thirdcrank wrote:niggle

Congratulations to you and any other justifiably proud parents whose kids have gone to university, with or without bikes. :D

Very proud of my two kid's achievements:

Daughter struggled with health issues at 6th form and repeated first year of A levels, but got the required grades in the end for her offer at her first choice of Sussex to do a Physics degree, then again struggled in first year due to more health issues, break up with long term boyfriend (and I suspect also a touch too much extended 'Freshers Week' :roll: ), so again repeated the first year, but she is back on track now in 2nd year, grades picking up again. Her part time job at a fancy kitchen and homeware shop in The Lanes (upmarket shopping area) is also going well, which is a good sign IMO.

Son has struggled all through primary and secondary school due to dyslexia, we had resigned to the idea of a non academic career pathway, but after excellent support from Learning Support team at Redruth Secondary School and more of the same at Truro College he finished his Health & Social Care Diploma with the highest possible grades (3 x 'Distinction Star', equivalent to 3 A* A Levels), which he did not actually need as he had an unconditional offer from his first choice, Sussex Uni again, to do a degree in Sociology and Cultural Studies. Son is also having to face the challenge of being Transgender: born a girl but was always a bit of a 'Tom Boy', rejected all things Barbie pink etc., then came out as 'Gay' at 16, but a year later said actually that was not quite right, really feels like a male in a female body.

Daughter is a Green and son a Corbynista and both are Vegans so The People's Republic of Brighton & Hove, LGBT center of the universe, suits them very well.

thirdcrank wrote:Having just read your post on the benefits of social media, I'd be cautious about advertising the benefits of utilitarian bikes in a way that be seen by the baddies as well as the goodies. Keep it at "Raleigh: the All-steel bicycle", rather than "All steal Raleigh bicycles." :wink:

My Dad used a Raleigh All Steel to commute back in the 70s, once he overtook me on my 10 spd racer on the way home, I was mortified :oops:

thirdcrank wrote:It's made me reflect how those are the sort of bikes children once got for passing the 11+ or whatever and used throughout their teens and beyond as normal personal transport.

I was given a shiny new Dawes Junior Kingpin (single speed) on my 7th birthday (1970), a 2nd hand Hercules Hustler drop bar bike with SA 3spd hub at about 12 yrs (in hindsight a superb machine and far superior to the lusted after Raleigh Chopper) and managed to negotiate a low end Viscount Aerospace 10 spd from a warehouse in Cambridge at about 16yrs. I distinctly remember having a hard time convincing dad to let me have it instead of some dull but worthy 3 speed, but mum came to the rescue saying I was old enough to decide for myself.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Mick F wrote:
thirdcrank wrote: ............ made me reflect how those are the sort of bikes children once got for passing the 11+ or whatever and used throughout their teens and beyond as normal personal transport.

It was still being used as "personal transport" as late as 1981 aged nearly 29 :shock:

What Hercules model? Mine was the Hustler model in this 1971 Raleigh brochure, page 13: http://threespeedhub.com/wp-content/upl ... 71-UK1.pdf
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was a Hercules AMF.
3sp SA, all steel, bright red with white bits, steel mudguards and steel chainguard.
Very much like this, but the handlebars weren't turned up like these.
Attachments
20090829-bicycles025.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I recently had a really old and (I thought) 'not worth stealing' bike stolen. An old dirty bike with odd bits on it is no guaratee.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote:

And what made you stop? My wife is still using the Raleigh she got for doing her paper round 30 years ago. Admittedly it now has drop handlebars, the frame has been respaced to upgrade the SA 3 speed to 2x7, the brakes have been improved, the bottle dynamo has been swapped for a SON and I'm sure she only married me because I can keep the bike going
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Glad its not just me, and started my two even younger!

My lad at 10 is on his second previously owned bike, a 24" wheeled Specialized Hotrock, paid £80 for it, replaced bottom bracket and tyres and it has been ridden everywhere for the last two years

My daughter at 7 is also on her second previously owned bike, another Hotrock but a bit older with steel frame, cost me £28, a shifter cable and £11 for a pair of (secondhand!) Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres

Both had 20" wheeled previously owned bikes, one of which I have just sold for more than I paid for it!

Both will get just get bigger bikes to suit their needs as they get older, but doubt they will be new unless they rack up the same amount of mileage or trips as I do, my lad goes to secondary school next year and have no concerns about him riding to school knowing there will be far more exciting options in the bike shed that will be targeted before his
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

uni bike #2, the Dawes Diploma, is a really nice, practical bike IMHO. It most likely feels lighter than the Raleigh for the simple reason it is lighter than the Raleigh. Some versions of this bike also had Reynolds 531 main tubes and nice things like that, but the exact spec varied with the year. The brakes work well enough on aluminium rims, the 3s hub is all you need for short urban journeys and of course is immensely reliable.

IIRC the frame and fork was usually pleasantly springy and these bikes (when set up properly) are actually rather pleasant to ride. I can't say that I can think of a modern bike in the same vein that is anywhere near as nice to ride as one of these, in fact.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~