Sainsburys to trial bike deliveries : electric assistance this time

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ferrit worrier

Re: Sainsburys to trial bike deliveries

Post by ferrit worrier »

Just retired and looking for a part time job, my very first job was as a grocery delivery boy while still at school. Should put that on my CV. Thursday, Friday nights and saturday morning were busiest, used to deliver about six or seven orders in about an hour and half thursday friday , and about eight or nine on satuday. Made more in tips than wages. First week wages was 15/- 75p in todays money . Tips about £1.00.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

any one can see she was just sitting there and had never cycled in her life? renta-model?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:any one can see she was just sitting there and had never cycled in her life? renta-model?

It would be unlikely to find anyone from a European nation who had never cycled in their life.
BTW all models are hired or rented that's how they earn their living - like people in most jobs really.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:any one can see she was just sitting there and had never cycled in her life? renta-model?

Does that matter?
Surely the point being put across is that the cargo trike in question can be pedalled by anyone in ordinary clothing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:

Does that matter?
Surely the point being put across is that the cargo trike in question can be pedalled by anyone in ordinary clothing.

No, I think it puts across the message that anyone young, female and good looking is hopeless when it comes to rding a bike. Which to say the least is both old fashioned and sexist. I was very disappointed with it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Interesting to see they were using tadpole trikes in 1913.

I think the delivery charge is a bit steep for just 20 items, but then you're paying for the time slot rather than the act of delivery. Hopefully they pay the delivery riders properly too, though I suppose it's more likely to be a per-delivery or per-mile rate.

Generally, it's interesting to see the take off of supermarket home delivery. It's sometimes billed as a return to pre-WWII service, but in reality I think it's driven by different factors: then it was driven by the leisure time of middle class women who stayed at home and by available cheap labour, now in contrast it's driven by lack of time as we work longer, commute further and take our kids places after school, as well as by the ease of communicating an order (internet). The availability of labour remains a factor, of course, even if now they're likely to be in their 20 not teens.
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

A charge of 25p an item. I can see a revival in local village shops. Make sure you only buy multipacks. I've a feeling they've misjudged Joe Public in general. Why do you think Pound Shops, 99p and other cheap shops have thrived! I've a feeling they won't need many bikes. Good for Halfords, though. I wonder who will deliver the items purchased from the in-store pharmacies?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:No, I think it puts across the message that anyone young, female and good looking is hopeless when it comes to rding a bike. Which to say the least is both old fashioned and sexist. I was very disappointed with it.

How many people of fashionably gullible and tender years of both sexes,come to the forum asking about bike set up and clothing?
A few IME.
So there's every chance it won't be any different for a young French woman to fall victim would it? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its not just the delivery person they have to pay, the items have to be picked as well. £4.99 is a bargain. I see Sainsburys have dropped BOGOFs, good for them, that will cut waste.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whoever has has planned this initial test, they can know little about cycling: surely, the first consideration - as others have implied - is the total weight of the order rather than the number of items.

We know stuff can be delivered by bike because it's been done before, and suitably motivated people can shift a huge amount by bike, but that doesn't mean it will work for long if the people riding the bikes are properly paid and treated. Some time ago, I read an article by Archie Norman, the business guru responsible for rescuing ASDA from imminent ruin. He made the point that customers doing their own shopping save supermarkets a lot of money and a supermarket doing that work for them is very expensive. He pointed out IIRC that what we are seeing now is just companies trying to build up market share in this sector of the grocery trade and to make it profitable, they must eventually charge an economic rate. In other words, people who go to the supermarket and shove a trolley round are presently cross-subsiding the internet shoppers.

It's funny how the problems of the big supermarkets are all blamed on the so-called discounters, whose main attraction for me is that you can get in and out with the minimum delay and no gimmicks (like employing latter-day Granvilles.)

(When I was checking what I had typed, I saw I had put "git in and out..." :oops: That's me, grumpy old git, but I'm a customer and so often right. :wink:
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it might be of interest that Sainsburys are now trialling the use of electric cargo bikes for deliveries in place of their usual vans. Pretty small scale at the moment, I only knew about it as our shopping turned up by bike this week.

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2018/18-04-2018-electriccargobiketrial
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
yakdiver wrote:Flat fee of £4.99 for 20 items, may work in London......

not near Crystal Palace :lol:

Or a fair few bits of Forest Hill.

https://goo.gl/images/35x9Nc

Not for nowt did I used to lead a ride called The Peaks of Lewisham around those parts.

On a more serious note, cute as it all sounds, I fear it is yet another sign that Brit society is headed for a neo Victorian age. Unless ...

nor hot days like we have been having
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Does that matter?

No, I think it puts across the message that anyone young, female and good looking is hopeless when it comes to rding a bike. Which to say the least is both old fashioned and sexist. I was very disappointed with it.

I think it puts across that young beautiful females CAN cycle as well as anyone else
I bet there are a few among hundreds of millions of Europeans who can not bi-cycle
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

tomsumner49 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it might be of interest that Sainsburys are now trialling the use of electric cargo bikes for deliveries in place of their usual vans. Pretty small scale at the moment, I only knew about it as our shopping turned up by bike this week.

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2018/18-04-2018-electriccargobiketrial
Where is the bike parked for the delivery - on the pavement?
Interesting that Sainsbury's think they can offer a quicker delivery service by bike than van.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

thirdcrank wrote:Whoever has has planned this initial test, they can know little about cycling: surely, the first consideration - as others have implied - is the total weight of the order rather than the number of items.

We know stuff can be delivered by bike because it's been done before, and suitably motivated people can shift a huge amount by bike, but that doesn't mean it will work for long if the people riding the bikes are properly paid and treated. Some time ago, I read an article by Archie Norman, the business guru responsible for rescuing ASDA from imminent ruin. He made the point that customers doing their own shopping save supermarkets a lot of money and a supermarket doing that work for them is very expensive. He pointed out IIRC that what we are seeing now is just companies trying to build up market share in this sector of the grocery trade and to make it profitable, they must eventually charge an economic rate. In other words, people who go to the supermarket and shove a trolley round are presently cross-subsiding the internet shoppers.

It's funny how the problems of the big supermarkets are all blamed on the so-called discounters, whose main attraction for me is that you can get in and out with the minimum delay and no gimmicks (like employing latter-day Granvilles.)

(When I was checking what I had typed, I saw I had put "git in and out..." :oops: That's me, grumpy old git, but I'm a customer and so often right. :wink:

I think it's going to be the volume not necessarily the weight that's the problem PLUS if the bikes need a fridge too (if deciding to do temp controlled items which takes up space and remove capacity as well as adding weight overall to the unloaded vehicle.

So whilst extreme something like 20x9 rolls of toilet paper, 20x5l vegetable oil is going to be a non starter so they'll need to use the volumetric weight system to work out which deliveries are possible.

Week before last I bought 6x9 loo rolls plus some smaller stuff and even with a 70L rucksack plus 50L panniers I had to leave a single 9 roll pack behind. The following week I bought 10kg sack of rice, 2x5l vege oil, 3l milk, 4x450g sauces, 3x500g spread, 1kg pork chops, 2 bag of flour plus the all important bags of midget gems, I could have got another 3x5l vege oil in the rucksack on top of the rice but 30kg net load up the 7% slope back home was more than enough.
I hope it takes off but think they need to look at the bikes used for deliveries which are in use elsewhere in the world that can take the bulk and decide if it's just ambient.