Lidl 'hard bendy plastic' panniers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Annoying Twit

Lidl 'hard bendy plastic' panniers

Post by Annoying Twit »

Do Lidl still sell the hard bendy plastic panniers that they sold some years ago. I'm not sure how to describe them, but they were defintely waterproof, made from a thick, but still foldable, plastic. The tops didn't have lids, but folded over to cover the contents.

Anyone recognise my description? If so, do they still get sold?
Paulatic

Re: Lidl 'hard bendy plastic' panniers

Post by Paulatic »

These?
IMG_0023.JPG

Usually sold in the Sring I think.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Those might be a more modern version than what I have, but essentially the same thing. I think.

Thanks.
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

Note that, though they bear a vague resemblance to Ortliebs, these are very definitely not waterproof. Unfortunately, the included raincovers do a very good job of collecting water thrown up by the rear wheel. However, for the price they're ok, as long as contents are protected by a waterproof inner bag.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Wemmick wrote:Note that, though they bear a vague resemblance to Ortliebs, these are very definitely not waterproof. Unfortunately, the included raincovers do a very good job of collecting water thrown up by the rear wheel. However, for the price they're ok, as long as contents are protected by a waterproof inner bag.

I bought one years ago. It doesn't have an included rain cover. The material itself is fully waterproof. I've never noted any leakage. I guess that as Aldi and Lidl often do, they've varied the design of these with replacement items that aren't as good as they used to be.
Si

Post by Si »

Don't think mine ever let the rain in, however it was a bit too bendy and bent into the back wheel!
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

Si wrote:...however it was a bit too bendy and bent into the back wheel!

Exactly the same thing happened with mine! Perhaps the design has changed over the years, but on the pair I bought two or three years ago, only the coloured parts (yellow in the above image) were waterproof. All the other panels leaked like a sieve.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've found LIdl's returns policy to be pretty good if goods are unsatisfactory. I've a set of these in red that I bought a few years ago. Not used, still in original packaging. Must look to see if there or any covers in there. Where do they leak from?