Respray/Powder coat in South Devon

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paul_T

Respray/Powder coat in South Devon

Postby Paul_T » 4 Oct 2016, 10:31am

I've a1980 Holdsworth Mistral frame that needs a complete blast and repaint - any suggestions as to a company in the South Devon area please? Ideally it needs someone that can handle a two-colour job (ie a base colour with two blocks of an alternate colour mid-tube)
Thanks

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Respray/Powder coat in South Devon

Postby Mick F » 4 Oct 2016, 11:00am

Dunno where you are and I dunno if these people are still going, but they are in Horningtops SE Cornwall.
https://www.ukdirectory.co.uk/truegrit- ... 35991.html
I used them some years ago, and they did a lovely job of Barbarella.
William+Barbarella.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

RJS

Postby RJS » 4 Oct 2016, 10:31pm

Hi Paul, Wings just outside Totnes, do a very good job of powder coating, bit no good for two colours I guess. There is a Firm on the Yalberton Industrial estate in Paignton who did a very nice job of a friends Cannondale, I think that they do mostly cars, but they are competent working with carbon fibre. I can find out more details if it's any help.
Cheers, Rob.

Paul_T

Postby Paul_T » 5 Oct 2016, 9:32am

RJS wrote:Hi Paul, Wings just outside Totnes, do a very good job of powder coating, bit no good for two colours I guess. There is a Firm on the Yalberton Industrial estate in Paignton who did a very nice job of a friends Cannondale, I think that they do mostly cars, but they are competent working with carbon fibre. I can find out more details if it's any help.
Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob. Wings look interesting (I still may opt for my old Holdsworth's single colour scheme as it would be the correct colour for the year) and they appear to do bikes - grew up in Harberton so I know roughly where they are. SCC is probably the Yalberton one so I may give them a call as well.

1942alexander

Postby 1942alexander » 5 Oct 2016, 6:11pm

Hi Paul,
Why not DIY? It's really not that difficult and the finished job can be equal or even better than the paint shop job. Coloured bands (usually on the seat tube) are no problem, just mask them up before the rest gets painted. I painted my Holdsworth a couple of years ago and I've just finished a Bates.
Cheers... Alex

DSCN0847Small.jpg

FWHsmallfile.jpg

SideSmall.jpg

HBsmallfile.jpg

Canuk

Postby Canuk » 5 Oct 2016, 11:01pm

Absolutely lovely job, well done!

Paul_T

Postby Paul_T » 6 Oct 2016, 9:26am

I agree with Canuk - very nice indeed and you have me interested. I remember re-spraying my Holdsworth Equipe, many, many years ago and the finish wasn't very robust and scratched easly whereas my first Holdsworth Mistral (bent in 3 places and scrapped) was professionally painted and that lasted a lot longer - what paint products did you use for yours?

1942alexander

Postby 1942alexander » 6 Oct 2016, 2:11pm

Paul_T wrote:I agree with Canuk - very nice indeed and you have me interested. I remember re-spraying my Holdsworth Equipe, many, many years ago and the finish wasn't very robust and scratched easly whereas my first Holdsworth Mistral (bent in 3 places and scrapped) was professionally painted and that lasted a lot longer - what paint products did you use for yours?

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for the kind words. I found the hardest part of repainting my first frame was deciding to do it. The Holdsworth frame was in a pretty sad state as the photo shows.
FWHsmallfile.jpg

Instead of starting on this frame, I bought a cheap Claud Butler frame (£25) to practice on and to use as a prototype for the later Holdsworth.
CB24329Small.jpg

This was the result.
CBsmall.jpg

When I came to paint the WFH I dropped the gold seat tube band and just used the multiple fine bands. I thought it looked better. The paint is Aston Martin Buckinghamshire Green and the clear lacquer was bought from Halfords, but I can't remember which one. I've since moved on to a two part lacquer but it is more expensive and must be used, once started, in a few hours. You will also need Kurust, epoxy primer, undercoat and various emery grade strips as well as a means of stripping the frame. Since Halfords stopped mixing the car paints, I use the local car paint suppliers, but don't buy the water based stuff.

The Bates is a metallic rose colour but the photos don't do it justice. In the flesh it's a real head turner.
If you have the time, and a little money, do your frame as a winter project. Strip it and then decide on any alterations or repairs, kill any rust spots and get it covered with epoxy primer. Then decide on the colour and decoration you want, lug lining?, box lining?, special decals?, contrasting panels?
Remember, this is for yourself, possibly your favourite frame, be bold, be adventurous, you will never know what skills you possess until you try. The Bates was my first attempt at box lining and my hands shook so much with nerves I had to leave it alone for a while before resuming. The problem will come after you've finished the rebuild. You'll be so proud of what you've achieved that you wont want to get it wet so you'll only take it out on sunny summer days, when it looks great.
Sometimes it doesn't finish with the frame. The WFH head badge needed a makeover as well.
FWHBadgeSmall.jpg
Done1Small.jpg

Enjoy the experience. Take your time. Revel in the result.
Kind Regards... Alex

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 6 Oct 2016, 5:07pm

I understand 2 part lacquer can only used on top of water based paint - do you know what your colour paint is?
How did you get the badge back to looking so good? - that's fantastic!

1942alexander

Postby 1942alexander » 6 Oct 2016, 6:46pm

fastpedaller wrote:I understand 2 part lacquer can only used on top of water based paint - do you know what your colour paint is?
How did you get the badge back to looking so good? - that's fantastic!

Hi fastpedaller,
Possibly some lacquers are only for water based paints but I use only spirit based paints and have had absolutely no problems. I've bought the paint and lacquer together at two different places and no one has mentioned the fact that it is not for use on the paint I have bought with it.

As for the head badge, this is for my next project, a 1951 WFH "Cyclone", which at the moment is being chrome plated and hopefully will be done by the time I return to the UK. It is exactly the same head badge as on the green "Tornado" pictured earlier, but now sold, so in effect I had a trial run with this one.
First of all you have to, very carefully, get back to the raised brass surface, without touching the black background.
DirtyHalfSmall.jpg

CleanHalfSmall.jpg

Then put on the paint without being too careful around the edges. Now comes the difficult bit. You've got to get the paint surface smooth and even without touching the background or the raised brass bits. You can see I've just taken too much paint off near to the horse's back hoof. It's more difficult than doing the frame. I reckoned I spent about ten hours on the first one, starting over again about three times before I got a decent result. This one is better.
Glad you liked it.... Cheers... Alex

Phil_Chadwick

Postby Phil_Chadwick » 12 Oct 2016, 1:18pm

If you don't want to paint it yourself, then you could always send it away.

I just had a nice job done by Ellis Briggs - in fact i believe they send them over to BJ's, but's cheaper to do it through EB for some reason

Cost £140 including packaging and post back. It was cheaper than taking it to Argos in Bristol.

Paul_T

Postby Paul_T » 15 Nov 2016, 2:48pm

Phil_Chadwick wrote:If you don't want to paint it yourself, then you could always send it away.

I just had a nice job done by Ellis Briggs - in fact i believe they send them over to BJ's, but's cheaper to do it through EB for some reason

Cost £140 including packaging and post back. It was cheaper than taking it to Argos in Bristol.

Ah, useful to know - thanks