Where do I start...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

Re: Where do I start...

Post by hondated »

Mistik-ka wrote:Much good advice here. I would also add the observation that there are times when there is value in being 'made an example' by over-officious officials. I can picture my eager young self in my days writing for a local newspaper, gleefully penning the headline:

"AUTHORITIES FORCE MUM TO PUT CHILD'S LIFE AT RISK!" :wink:

Don't panic; good sense will serve you well.

Exactly ! Its time that we cyclists started to fight back, The law is an ass with regard to cycling on the path as I would not want my grandchildren to not do it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:In addition to what Vorpal said, if you feel comfortable telling us where you're starting from and where you need to get to, there are many on here who will be more than happy to advise on a suitable route - as said, it might be something that has never occurred.

I don't recommend publishing your start and end points on a forum like this, but maybe what school and the direction you are approaching from?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Metal8

Post by Metal8 »

hondated wrote:
Mistik-ka wrote:Much good advice here. I would also add the observation that there are times when there is value in being 'made an example' by over-officious officials. I can picture my eager young self in my days writing for a local newspaper, gleefully penning the headline:

"AUTHORITIES FORCE MUM TO PUT CHILD'S LIFE AT RISK!" :wink:

Don't panic; good sense will serve you well.

Exactly ! Its time that we cyclists started to fight back, The law is an ass with regard to cycling on the path as I would not want my grandchildren to not do it.

Sorry, but in my day we did cycling proficiency, taught to be confident cycling and to cycle on the road with due care and attention.
Same holds true.
Cycling on the pavement is 'normally' just wrong.

I agree with OP though as she clearly has safety issues and has due care and attention for other pavement users.

Remember, woman who was annoyed has maybe had one too many cyclists on the pavement going too quick without any warning thus putting her children in danger?
kil0ran

Post by kil0ran »

Quite simply: carry on riding on the pavement. Your life and your daughter's life is more important. Sadly it seems that the school run often brings the worst out in people - its can be a stressful time and that combined with the perception of danger and the mother/father/cub instinct creates a vicious circle of stress that I see quite regularly, even in the rural location where I live. I occasionally cycle to school with my LO and have had close passes from parents I know and talk to at the school gate who've got their own kids in the car.

I don't know the road you're riding on but if the speed limit is over 30mph and given your natural cautiousness about other road users I wouldn't ride on it. Might be worth getting some cycle training to build your confidence - your daughter's school might offer training. Riding with a trailer can't be fun on pavements and ultimately you'll make better progress on the road.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Plus one for Bikeability .
Contact your Council Road Safety team see if they have any suggestions.
Put a notice up at the school, might be someone else who fancies it, you could ride together.

Nip into the Library /Look at online Google mapping, I am sure there would be a non main road alternative route available.

Make contact with a Local Cycling Group ; They aren't all MAMILS (Middle aged men in Lycra). ( I am a member of a predominantly ladies group, Stourbug. in the West Midlands and I have been responsible for training 2 adults from never having ridden a bike at all to being confident and happy cyclists. And many more who hadn't ridden since childhood.)

I WOULDN@T condone Pavement Cycling (Sorry but it gives us all a bad name and as hubby rightly says it's Illegal, I am a retired Police Officer )
I don't know the details but I am sure I heard a press report recently about a Prosecution for Wanton and Furious Cycling having caused someone's death. There's nothing more unpredicatable than Pedestrians in my experience and that's when they are in the road.
If you collided with someone on the pavement you would be in line for litigation without much room for mitigation.
Sorry but that's just the way it is these days.

The training will give you confidence, the confidence that you are in control of your bike, the confidence will allow you to take a positive position on the road . In my experience, during school run time, a cyclist can easily travel just as fast as a car so shouldn't be an issue if you take a commanding road position.

Don't whatever you do give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamesvillafc

Post by jamesvillafc »

i dont see a problem with a parent and child riding bikes on the pavement with caution, another option ?

How about a balance bike for your daughter and you walk beside her ? i would do this with my son when walking anywhere, before he turned 4 he could ride a bike without stabilizers, also alot of children these days also go to school on scooters,
:mrgreen: :D JAMES :D :mrgreen: