Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Phil_Chadwick

Re: Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

Postby Phil_Chadwick » 14 Oct 2016, 12:15pm

Brucey wrote:
Phil_Chadwick wrote:well, no. That's a response to a different point than the one I was making.

but it isn't even always a very useful comparison for the same rider on the same bike, because of the way air resistance and rolling resistance vary.

erm, yes it is, since all we're comparing is the same bike and rider on the road or on the rollers.

You found it was easier on the rollers on your bike; I find it easier on the road on my bike

Clearly it's not sensible to try to make conclusions from performance on one and map that to the other. They're different. All you can do its try the two and see how they compare. if that is of interest to you.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Oct 2016, 2:48pm

the rolling resistance of tyres varies strongly with temperature. On the road you might not notice this, because there is plenty else going on, and it is only a small proportion of the whole drag. On the rollers the rolling resistance is the greater proportion of the entire drag, and the temperature of the tyres will vary from day to day, as well as during any one session.

You can try and compare 'your speed' on the rollers from one day to the next with the same rider/bike, and it'll vary considerably. You can get a handle on this to some extent by comparing coast-down times. If you compare the coast-down time at the start of a roller session with how it is after half an hour, you will likely find it is significantly different, mainly because of tyre temperature variations. In a similar vein you need only look at what you need to do in order to provide a statistically meaningful comparison of tyre rolling resistances as measured on rollers in order to see that there is potential for significant variation there.

Ergo, 'just a number'....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jamesvillafc

Postby jamesvillafc » 14 Oct 2016, 3:49pm

this was a comment from wahoo regarding the speed and cadence sensor,

"rollers often will have either a higher or lower resistance inherently. This may be a case that your rollers naturally have a higher resistance"

Not sure how true this is , i am riding the Elite parabolic Rollers, anyone else have these ?
:mrgreen: :D JAMES :D :mrgreen:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Oct 2016, 4:18pm

I have them.
Can't comment on other makes and models, but the Elite Parabolics are excellent.
Strong, solid, heavy, stable, good free bearings.
Pedal away to your heart's content and find the right gear and speed to give yourself a good ride.

Also, as for resistance, try freewheeling. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Oct 2016, 6:07pm

Hi,
On my Cateye CycIosymulator I can knock the gradient down to zero from my preferred 2% and also remove the fan which simulates road wind..............................then I will have some rollers :mrgreen: well one roller............30 + is then easily obtainable :)

Not much point in that though :(
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 14 Oct 2016, 7:49pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Forget speed.

Just think time and effort.
You need a heart rate monitor :!:

Select your zone and off you go.

I don't think I ever got to the bottom of resistance on rollers.......is there any?

You wrote what I was going to. Heart rate monitor to get your effort levels then you can plug it into the likes of Strava which will give you a number as to how hard your ride was. The same applies to turbo trainers too.

I would base your indoor efforts on doing intervals in certain heart rate zones for a certain time and not speed which has no meaning indoors.

There isn't much resistance on rollers but there is some and usually enough to get a good workout but it's not like a turbo when you could be grinding at a low cadence to simulate hills, but it's a different type of training.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 14 Oct 2016, 8:10pm

Here's how to ride rollers and get plenty of exercise.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIFfypHdmU

wahoofish

Postby wahoofish » 14 Oct 2016, 8:10pm

jamesvillafc wrote:this was a comment from wahoo regarding the speed and cadence sensor,

"rollers often will have either a higher or lower resistance inherently. This may be a case that your rollers naturally have a higher resistance"

Not sure how true this is , i am riding the Elite parabolic Rollers, anyone else have these ?

No it wasn't

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Oct 2016, 8:32pm

Hi,
I might try some rollers some day.
Of note - I did several months training on the turbo then jumped on my bike for the first time and rode round Dartmoor 100 miles or so, result was pain in my lower legs that I have never had in any sport before, but it did not stop me cycling 100 miles and next bike ride no pain.
This is al you will miss for using a turbo, I don't get with improve your style hog wash etc :P

Turbo is more versatile ( ok you need a donor bike or remove front wheel, any heap will do with the leg length, the reach is not important)
because the results are more consistent and there is no learning curve either, just add some powerful fans and some distraction to make the time pass / hook up to a game on the net and bash it out with other racer wanabees :)

I find it useful if you have some figures to record so you can see where you are going on training.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 14 Oct 2016, 8:34pm

Agreed. Turbo twice a week for me. I won't claim brilliant results but it keeps me going.

jamesvillafc

Postby jamesvillafc » 14 Oct 2016, 9:31pm

wahoofish wrote:
jamesvillafc wrote:this was a comment from wahoo regarding the speed and cadence sensor,

No it wasn't

I mean wahoo the brand ! Wahoo manufacture the speed and cadence sensor and also the wahoo app lmao

wahoofish

Postby wahoofish » 15 Oct 2016, 9:57am

jamesvillafc wrote:
wahoofish wrote:

No it wasn't

I mean wahoo the brand ! Wahoo manufacture the speed and cadence sensor and also the wahoo app lmao

Ha - thanks boss.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 15 Oct 2016, 10:21am

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:Agreed. Turbo twice a week for me. I won't claim brilliant results but it keeps me going.

If your not getting up to more intense than road riding bearing in mind turbo rides are shorter then intermittent bursts will not necessarily get your HR high.
Three hour road is 80% of max average and turbo one hour always goes 86-93% for me, if it does not hurt like hell after 10 minutes you are not trying hard enough :P
Fat burn zones will be very tedious, better controlled by diet, I am back on the wagon again food wise as I don't want to exit xmas too heavy :)

sjs

Postby sjs » 15 Oct 2016, 11:44am

Mick F wrote:If I stop - even at 20odd mph - I freewheel for a couple of seconds only. Maybe three.
If you find that stopping pedalling on your rollers on your bike at 20odd mph gives you as long freewheeling as you would do on a flat road without a tailwind ................ I'll eat my hat.

That's because freewheeling on the road you have to lose the kinetic energy of bike+rider before you stop, and on rollers just wheels+rollers.

jamesvillafc

Postby jamesvillafc » 15 Oct 2016, 4:35pm

IMG_3346.PNG

Find it strange I cycle 25-40 miles on hilly areas averaging 15-16mph on flat around 19 but on rollers after 5 mile at this speed I'm dripping in sweet high heart rate , my sensor is calibrated to the correct wheel size , ,my rollers must be a higher resistance than I expected