Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On a cool day I lose about 1.8 kgs over three hours, on the turbo I can lose over 2 kgs in an hour.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On a cool day I lose about 1.8 kgs over three hours, on the turbo I can lose over 2 kgs in an hour.

You need better fannage ;). TBH I know I should drink at least one full bidon per hour on the turbo but I often don't.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:

You need better fannage ;). TBH I know I should drink at least one full bidon per hour on the turbo but I often don't.

I use two already but you cant simulate the outside inside that easy, I have had it on the decking with two fans too.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

My rollers are in an unheated garage. With the door open it can be cool! If you're cycling inside a warm house without ventilation the heat will cause your heart rate to be higher for same perceived effort than it would be out-doors in cooler conditions.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

david7591 wrote:My rollers are in an unheated garage. With the door open it can be cool! If you're cycling inside a warm house without ventilation the heat will cause your heart rate to be higher for same perceived effort than it would be out-doors in cooler conditions.

I find the opposite. Outside I can get my HR way up straight away. Inside it takes a very concerted PE to do the same.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
david7591 wrote:My rollers are in an unheated garage. With the door open it can be cool! If you're cycling inside a warm house without ventilation the heat will cause your heart rate to be higher for same perceived effort than it would be out-doors in cooler conditions.

Interesting, my HR on the road all year round freezing to 30 C doesn't change much, but my legs sweat above a bout 3C with trousers :mrgreen:

You maybe right / heart rate climbs with hot and cold, cold blood is thicker so heart works harder, hot blood vessels dilate so heart has to beat faster to maintain BP, fitness has to be a factor too.
Becoming dehydrated probably has a greater effect?
Although I said I drop in weight (sweat) this is balanced by drinking as I ride, taken to using three bottles when its warmer this year and rarely come home (3H) a kilo lighter, two 12 hour rides this year and was a kilo lighter when I got home so am confident that I remain hydrated.
I try to get the lounge (where the turbo is) down and normally its 16 C or so, higher and the outside temp is higher anyway.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The other day, I weighed myself first thing in the morning. 12st 2lbs on our bathroom scales.
The other day, I weighed myself directly after a 3hr ride. 12st 2lbs
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mick F wrote:The other day, I weighed myself first thing in the morning. 12st 2lbs on our bathroom scales.

You hydrated correctly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I didn't hydrate at all.
Usual for me is three or four cups of tea in the mornings, plus sometimes an instant coffee.
Usually have a cup of tea when getting home.
I rode a total of 102miles last week in four days. Basically 25miles per day.

Although I take water with me, I rarely drink any unless the weather is hot or my ride is long. 25miles takes me about 2.5hours, usually non-stop.

I've tried measuring before, but I've never ever noticed any weight loss after a ride. Hydration never concerns me and I only take water with me as a precaution.
Mick F. Cornwall
wahoofish

Post by wahoofish »

Mick F wrote:The other day, I weighed myself first thing in the morning. 12st 2lbs on our bathroom scales.

Maybe weigh yourself before and after a ride to get a proper comparison.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
I'll do it.

We've had a discussion about hydration on here before, and I experimented with weight before and after, but I'll do it again.
Won't be out on a bike for a decent ride until Tuesday.

I usually go out riding by 9am and back for lunch. 3hrs and maybe 25 to 30miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,

That's good Mick.
But you must have drunk something on the way to balance the ride / even sitting doing nothing :?:

Don't say you did not drink much / threw away your bottle :lol:

As I said on a cool 5-10C day 3hr ride I still lost 1.8 kgs, but I did drink something, that is to say I replaced all what I lost by drinking on ride or when I got home immediately.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
wahoofish wrote:

Maybe weigh yourself before and after a ride to get a proper comparison.

Well.....that's sounds like you are trying to infer that mick weighs himself then drinks four cups of tea :?

Plenty of toilet breaks on your ride mick :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plenty?
Sometimes one, and sometimes as soon as I get home. I'm on diuretic blood pressure medication at the moment, so that exacerbates it.

How does one lose weight when riding a bike?
I can understand breathing removes moisture from the body, and I can understand the calories consumed must remove some weight.
How heavy are 1,000Kcals? It's about a thousand per 25mile ride with me, or about one decent breakfast. :D

Sweat?
Not much for me, but I can understand that some folk sweat a lot.
1.8Kg is a lot of weight variation in three hours.

Yes, Tuesday, I'll do a good ride (weather dependent) and weigh myself immediately before riding away - clothes and shoes included - and I'll weigh myself immediately I return. I'll take water with me just in case, but measure what I've drunk. Not picked a ride yet, but I can see me going across into England via Lifton and the Old A38. Not been that way for a while. Maybe 28miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

As I said on a cool 5-10C day 3hr ride I still lost 1.8 kgs

That's a colossal amount. it's equivalent to about 2 litres of sweat. You're not going to burn enough fat or glycogen in 3 hours to make more than a few 100 g difference