Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
david7591

Re: Speed on Rollers - Newbie - Beginner

Post by david7591 »

Mick F wrote:I didn't hydrate at all.
Usual for me is three or four cups of tea in the mornings, plus sometimes an instant coffee.
Usually have a cup of tea when getting home.
I rode a total of 102miles last week in four days. Basically 25miles per day.

Although I take water with me, I rarely drink any unless the weather is hot or my ride is long. 25miles takes me about 2.5hours, usually non-stop.

I've tried measuring before, but I've never ever noticed any weight loss after a ride. Hydration never concerns me and I only take water with me as a precaution.

If your weight first thing in the morning was literally first thing, i.e. immediately after getting out of bed, you would be partially dehydrated from not eating or drinking for seven/eight hours. So it's not surprising that is the same weight as after a 25 mile bike ride. Weigh yourself after eating breakfast and drinking your tea and coffee and compare that with your first thing in the morning and post bike ride weights.

I find my weight typically fluctuates during the day between two and four pounds. Typically my lowest weight is first thing in the morning, post exercise weight is similar to my first thing in the morning weight, very occasionally slightly lower if it has been a particularly long and gruelling session.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Phil_Chadwick wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

As I said on a cool 5-10C day 3hr ride I still lost 1.8 kgs

That's a colossal amount. it's equivalent to about 2 litres of sweat. You're not going to burn enough fat or glycogen in 3 hours to make more than a few 100 g difference

I keep a close eye on my weight as it is quite low for my height with a BMI of circa 19. I have to make sure I eat sufficient to maintain weight especially if exercising a lot. I have found that I can lose up to a couple of kilos during exercise, but more typically about 1.5K or 3 pounds. As soon as I eat and drink, a couple of hours later my weight will be back to where it was. I also find my first thing in the morning weight will be three pounds lower than my evening post dinner pre bed weight.

I guess everybody reacts and responds differently to exercise and nutrition. You just have to work out what works for you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
I can see that.

Two pints of Marston's Pedigree, a big Sunday roast and two glasses of rather nice white wine.
I now weigh 12st 4lbs starkers, (but wearing a pair of glasses to read the scales). :D
I'll check again first thing in the morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Mick F wrote:Sweat?
Not much for me, but I can understand that some folk sweat a lot.
1.8Kg is a lot of weight variation in three hours.

On a good warm day as much as 3 kgs but drink on the ride, bottles x 3 = 2.4 kgs (2.4 litres).

Mick F wrote:Plenty?
Sometimes one, and sometimes as soon as I get home. I'm on diuretic blood pressure medication at the moment, so that exacerbates it.

On that I was losing as much as 4 kgs in a similar ride, ended I could not even ride for 50 minutes without stopping........off the stuff now as BP was dropping to 90 / 50 :?

Makes you pee more...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Phil_Chadwick wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

As I said on a cool 5-10C day 3hr ride I still lost 1.8 kgs

That's a colossal amount. it's equivalent to about 2 litres of sweat. You're not going to burn enough fat or glycogen in 3 hours to make more than a few 100 g difference

Like I said earlier my thighs sweat if I wear longs above about 3 C.

The three hour rides are training with a 50Ib bike with 40 % off road, average heart rate over 3 hrs is normally above 150.
Three times a week.

Wilko on his covered recumbent drank some 50 litres in two days end to end.................
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Ok.
I can see that.

Two pints of Marston's Pedigree, a big Sunday roast and two glasses of rather nice white wine.
I now weigh 12st 4lbs starkers, (but wearing a pair of glasses to read the scales). :D

Overnight in bed everyone will lose a pound or two.

As long as you don't let your dehydration drop your weight more than 1.5 kgs on your ride then your performance will not be affected (2% bodt weight)

I think the tea and beer sorts that :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Overnight in bed everyone will lose a pound or two.
Or more, depending on how sweaty you get! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I now weigh 12st 4lbs starkers, (but wearing a pair of glasses to read the scales). :D
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Overnight in bed everyone will lose a pound or two.
Good morning guys!

12st 1.5lbs
Therefore lost 2.5lbs

I "lost" 32 fluid ounces .......... of water maybe?
Got up once during the night for a pee, I could easily have lost a pint or two then.

Weight has gone, not from dehydration IMHO.
If it was just dehydration, I'd be damned thirsty, and I'm not.
Mick F. Cornwall
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Mick, I did same

Yesterday evening 10st 7.5lbs

This morning 10st 4.75lbs

Weight 'lost' overnight 2.75lbs

My postulation is that no one is a definite weight, rather that their weight moves in a range, dependent on levels of hydration. It is not true to say in the morning that I am dehydrated, but rather less hydrated than following Sunday dinner. Think of it as a car petrol tank being half filled as opposed to full. There have been times when my petrol tank has been nearly empty, after a long hilly ride in summer for example. My weight in those circumstances has been as low as 10st 2lb, however after eating and drinking it returns to normal levels.
Last edited by david7591 on 17 Oct 2016, 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesvillafc

Post by jamesvillafc »

Gents ,

Whats a good amount of time/average speed on rollers i should be aiming to achieve every night !

At present i aiming for 5 mile at 18/19 mph avg , the sweat generated is crazy , my outdoor rides are normally 20-30 mile trips which may be once on a weekend at about 15mph avg
:mrgreen: :D JAMES :D :mrgreen:
david7591

Post by david7591 »

For me time on rollers is limited by comfort. Obviously when out on the road you're constantly shifting body weight, hand position, seating position, standing etc. Mostly only small changes but sufficient to ward of discomfort. On rollers you may also do this if you are super competent and confident on balancing. I find I am far more static on rollers, hence discomfort normally begins to set in after 30 to 35 minutes. I normally construct a session to last 40 minutes, gradually increasing tempo and resistance (higher gear) but allowing for a 5-10 minute cooling off and easing down. Over 40 minutes I might cover the equivalent of 18 miles according to my garmin on indoor setting. I do wear a sweat band and running vest on top. My rollers are in an unheated garage and I leave the door open in attempt to increase ventilation.

I don't do this every night mind. Once or twice a week at most. If weather is really bad. I may supplement with an easier shorter session, but in all honesty I prefer to don my running shoes and get some fresh air.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a few facts from my ride today:
Immediately prior to getting on and riding, I weighed 12st 7.75lbs in all my clobber.
29miles later, and 3,340ft of ascent (115ft per mile) I weighed myself again immediately on getting home, still with the same clobber on.
11.1mph average moving speed, 2hs 38mins of cycling, and my computer calculates that I'd used 1,138Kcals
Non stop, no toilet breaks, no drinks consumed.
Weight on return 12st 6lbs.

This means I lost 28 ounces. This no doubt consists of sweat and calories consumed. Hardly what I'd call dehydration. I wasn't even thirsty.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ray

Post by Ray »

Mick F wrote:Immediately prior to getting on and riding, I weighed 12st 7.75lbs in all my clobber.
29miles later, and 3,340ft of ascent (115ft per mile) I weighed myself again immediately on getting home, still with the same clobber on.

This means I lost 28 ounces.

I don't think so. When I get home my clothing weighs a lot more than when I set off because much of it is soaked with sweat. You need to do this again, weighing yourself without clothing both before and after. You know you want to :wink:
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Mick F wrote:Just a few facts from my ride today:
Immediately prior to getting on and riding, I weighed 12st 7.75lbs in all my clobber.
11.1mph average moving speed, 2hs 38mins of cycling, and my computer calculates that I'd used 1,138Kcals
Non stop, no toilet breaks, no drinks consumed.
Weight on return 12st 6lbs.

This means I lost 28 ounces. This no doubt consists of sweat and calories consumed. Hardly what I'd call dehydration. I wasn't even thirsty.

It's not a case of being hydrated or de-hydrated. There's a gradual scale. After your bike ride you were obviously less hydrated than before. No doubt if you'd cycled all day without drinking or eating you would have been much less hydrated, possibly to the point where your hydration level could have been classified as de-hydrated.

I'm not sure that thirst is a reliable guide to hydration levels. Or at least that's what the 'text-books' claim!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ray wrote:
Mick F wrote:Immediately prior to getting on and riding, I weighed 12st 7.75lbs in all my clobber.
This means I lost 28 ounces.

I don't think so. When I get home my clothing weighs a lot more than when I set off because much of it is soaked with sweat. You need to do this again, weighing yourself without clothing both before and after. You know you want to :wink:
Ok.
I can do that! :D

Soaked in sweat?
Not me, but no doubt I do perspire a bit.

Not sure about a ride tomorrow. Thursday is a possibility, but it could hopefully happen. Friday not sure.
I may be retired, but there are commitments. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall