GOOD TARGET TIME TO CYCLE 10 MILES

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tykeboy2003

Re: GOOD TARGET TIME TO CYCLE 10 MILES

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I cycle at a steady 14 to 15 mph on both my chro-molly Tourer and Alloy hybrid, so 10 miles is about 40 minutes for me. It's moderately hilly round here in South Derbyshire.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

hamster wrote:As a beginner, aim to get under 30 minutes on a flat road in still air.

Always a good target for a beginner I feel... and then a minute faster when they turn up on the following week.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

All depends what you are wanting to do and target, if I have 9-10 mile cycle commute I allow 45mins plus time to get organised at other end.
In a true TT; anything form 22:49 to around 27:00 depending on course, conditions etc. I ride a lot faster in a real event, counted off and with a number on my back than if i just ride around a local 10 as training. Remember true TT's are out and back courses so there is technically no advantage to having a one direction wind assisted.

30 mins is a good mark to aim for initally, if you beat it ... great... then start aiming for the next minute down.... inside 29, 28, 27, etc.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I cycle commuted, I rode 17miles each way.
It was easier going to work than coming home due to the terrain.

I could do it going in in 40mins, but the fastest home was 55mins.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My best 10 mile time is 24 min 20 secs on a standard steel road bike with 23mm tyres. No tribars or other aero aids.

I aim to do my 8.5 mile commute in under 30 mins, my fastest this year is 28 mins.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

depends on the wind direction?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Use your first TT to see what's like and set the target to beat for the next one.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Makk11

Post by Makk11 »

Is this on open public highways or closed to traffic? Where I live near Heathrow Airport I average about 10 mph in live traffic including stopping at red traffic lights and negotiating busy roundabouts. From my house, one full circumnavigation of of the airport perimeter and back is about 10 miles with some very busy junctions. In good weather. not too much wind it takes me just under an hour. In torrential rain and a blistering gale it takes me much much longer.

I'm also lucky to live not far from the Hillingdon Cycle Circuit. It's a purpose built closed road racing cycle track about 1 mile per lap open to the public and free to use when it's not booked by cycle and triathlon clubs. It's mostly flat apart from a short twisting incline and decline section at the northern end and a perfectly smooth surface free from potholes and traffic to cycle on. I can do 10 laps much faster there averaging about 18-20 mph (weather permitting) than one lap of the Heathrow perimeter in traffic even though it's almost the same distance.

Terrain, road surface, traffic, wind and weather will all have an effect on your times. Weight, not just cycle weight but also rider weight will also slow you down on even the slightest of gradual inclines that might appear flat.

Please remember that if you are time trialling by yourself and practising on open public roads, other road users will not be aware that you are on a speed mission. Cycle safely.
karlt

Post by karlt »

What is this "flat road" of which you speak? Round here a road is either uphill or downhill.
whoof

Post by whoof »

My first time trial on a steel bike that was too big, no tri-bars, 32 spoked standard wheels was 24:10.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Evens or 20mph is the usual standard for beginners over any distance, so 15 minutes 5, 30 mins 10, 75 mins 25.

The fastest TT courses are rarely flat, even the V718 at Hull has some gradient but that's laid off against the advantage on even a slight downhill. Time trialling is all about pacing - it's no good doing 9 miles in 20 minutes if you then run out of puff and take 10 for the last one! - can't count the number of post race conversations that run on the lines of 'I was on a 54* but lost it on the last bit' * but finished on a 59! Insert any time you like, you'll hear similar at any finish.

10 miles is considered sprint distance, not literally of course but you should manage without drinking/eating during the ride. Give yourself targets along the route based on that 20mph target, as you become more proficient at pacing you might adjust these up or down to account for terrain, time you are aiming for.

A couple of tips - don't set off too fast, get up to speed but then concentrate on holding it. Look where you are going, avoid riding too near the edge but not too far out - tt courses are measured 1m from the curb. Don't wear flappy clothing. Relax on the bike and practice riding in your 'race' position - holding the 'aero' crouch isn't normal! Use your gears to keep a steady cadence. Warm up before hand, ten minutes steady with a couple of efforts should suffice - excessive pre race riding will just use up energy you need for the 'race'.

For the record my 10 time is 21.16 on a steel road bike with tri bars - back in 1994 on a rolling course with several miles of badly chipped surface to help 'speed' you along - lol the last TT I did was a mere 8km which I did in 12 mins on my road bike without tri bars or any training - the semi pro winner was 2 mins faster using a full on aero set up!

Good luck!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

To the OP, it is probably worth seeking out your local cycling club next spring and finding out about their club time trials. Most clubs hold a 10 mile TIme Trial on a weekday evening and they are a good way of improving your speed. They tend to start around Easter time, when it is light enough in the evenings.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If it was me doing it I would not go absolutly flat out the first time. I would get the feel of it so that I could do a better time next time (with the knowledge about pacing and so on).
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
johntea

Post by johntea »

10 mile cycle round here gives me 1500 feet of climbing :(
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

johntea wrote:10 mile cycle round here gives me 1500 feet of climbing :(

I've ridden 10m tt's that have more than that! One of our club 10 courses used to go up the Snake Pass - bit of a whizz coming back down mind
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!