Warm waterproof boots for lady cycling in the north east

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dynamite_funk

Warm waterproof boots for lady cycling in the north east

Postby Dynamite_funk » 19 Oct 2016, 8:50am

Hi all

My gf suffers from chilblains on her feet. She isnt one to moan or buy new things but having moved to the coast near newcastle from Leeds I'm expecting things to get a bit more chilly soon. I would really like to buy her some nice warm waterproof boots which she can cycle the ten miles to town and back in. She rides a sit up and beg and doesn't use cleats. However, modern boots all seem to be fairly cheaply made, not waterproof and not very warm. I think something like a felt lined pair of waterproof boots like Sorel would be great, I could keep them near the boiler to warm them up pre ride and hopefully that will keep her comfortable. However, if anyone has other options that would be fantastic.

pwa

Re: Warm waterproof boots for lady cycling in the north east

Postby pwa » 19 Oct 2016, 8:57am

I've seen wellies with fluffy lining. Maybe look in farm supply shops, the kind that supply stuff for horse owners. DMs are fairly practical, with the right socks.

Having lived in Leeds through several winters, I doubt Newcastle can be any colder. It's not far from the sea, so should be slightly warmer.
Last edited by pwa on 19 Oct 2016, 9:05am, edited 2 times in total.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 19 Oct 2016, 9:00am

If they don't need cleats then head in to a hillwalking supplier. Any decent walking shoe, allied with suitable socks, ought to be up to the job. As with all footwear, trying on in person for fit is important. That I like e.g. Scarpa isn't much use if your GF's feet are a different shape to mine.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Oct 2016, 9:12am

I cycle in walking boots, which are waterproof. She should try them on, though, as the shape and fit can vary quite a bit from one company to another. There only a couple of brands that I am comfortable in, but the brands I like don't fit Mr. V well at all.

Another alternative might be something like http://www.crocs.com/p/womens-crocband- ... S#start=27
which are light, lined, and waterproof. They can also be tightened around the legs to help prevent water getting in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

nosmarbaj

Postby nosmarbaj » 19 Oct 2016, 9:13am

If she doesn't want wet feet you need to stop water running down her legs into the boots. For walking the standard method is waterproof trousers over gaiters (depending on the boots and other factors you might be ok without the gaiters). For cycling this might be too hot and/or get caught in the chain.

Personally I'd concentrate on "warm", and not worry about "waterproof". This will give a wider choice.

EDIT X-posted with vorpal.