Geoffrey Butler

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ds2005

Geoffrey Butler

Postby ds2005 » 19 Feb 2008, 4:01pm

I have a circa 1980's 531 road bike that has Geoffrey Butler transfers from a respray but I was told by the seller it was a Holdsworth.

It has a 6 digit frame number and most of the original kit appears to be Campag Record.

I'd like to restore it back to something like the original.

Does anyone know if its possible to trace the make and model based on the 6 digit frame number?

I've tried the Geoffrey Butler store and they weren't interested.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Geoffrey Butler

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 19 Feb 2008, 4:28pm

You could try W F Holdsworth Putney, in fairness to Geoffrey Butler if it was simpy a respray from a bike they never supplied originally then they would have not have any record of the make and model based on the 6 digit frame number.

Some useful contacts regarding frame renovation:

Vaz Cycle Finishes: - 020 8852 0711,
Lewisham,
London SE13, for a plain enamel he is superb.

Colour Tech: - 01322 555549.
OLD FARM BUILDINGS
MAIDEN LANE
DARTFORD
DA1 4LX.
Probably slightly better than Vaz at the more intricate finishes; although I have not used Vaz for a few years, he may be as good now.

www.daveyatescycles.co.uk - 01526 343322 (During office hours only please!)
Ivy House Farm
Hawthorn Hill
Coningsby
Lincolnshire
LN4 4UW, all the bikes in my tour write ups at botton of page Dave Yates enamel, very good and will send frame by carrier if need be

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

ds2005 wrote:I have a circa 1980's 531 road bike that has Geoffrey Butler transfers from a respray but I was told by the seller it was a Holdsworth.

It has a 6 digit frame number and most of the original kit appears to be Campag Record.

Does anyone know if its possible to trace the make and model based on the 6 digit frame number?

Thanks

Jkulin

Postby Jkulin » 2 Dec 2010, 2:19pm

ds2005 wrote:I have a circa 1980's 531 road bike that has Geoffrey Butler transfers from a respray but I was told by the seller it was a Holdsworth.

Thanks

Just found this post

Would this frame be gold and had white Geoffrey Butler Lettering?

If so then I think it might have been mine that I raced in the early 70's, I couldn't afford a GB frame so my dad and I removed the Holdsworth Stickers and fitted GB ones, if it is then feel free to contact me john AT velonuts dot co dot uk

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 2 Dec 2010, 2:23pm

I see that ds2005 last visted the forum in April 2008

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 2 Dec 2010, 2:26pm

Just beat me to that TC!
Checking his profile, the OP is the only post remaining. Others must have been in For Sale section.

As Jkulin's post is of great interest, perhaps the Moderators/Admin my have OP's contact details.

I'll raise a ticket with them ......
Mick F. Cornwall

ds2005

Postby ds2005 » 2 Dec 2010, 9:52pm

Thanks for post.

The colour is different, it was blue / grey when I got it. The cranks that were fitted I traced to the mid 1980's but of course I don't know if thy are original. The frame size is 23.5 inches.

In the end I had it resprayed at Argos in Bristol who also changed the (rust prone) cable clips on the top of the top tube to a more convential under tube system. Bike looks great in pale blue and I have converted to a single speed which I use in the summer to commute from Surbiton to the City (17 miles each way). Lovely ride. Now converted to steel!

Regards
ds2005