£500 Hybrid

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
petersurname

£500 Hybrid

Postby petersurname » 2 Nov 2016, 10:14am

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been posted. I was just seeking some advice about getting a new hybrid bike.

It's basically just for commuting to work and back (7 min ew) and the gym and back (15 min ew) and maybe the odd other ride. I want to spend £500 max so appreciate I can't get a top of the range one.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV244807 I've been recommended this one which I quite like the look of...

Would anyone be able to advise me on it or is there a better bike I could get for the money?

Thanks!

Paulatic

Re: £500 Hybrid

Postby Paulatic » 2 Nov 2016, 12:04pm

Plus Mudguards?
Plus rack ?

All included here https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolu ... -1-16.html
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

bohrsatom

Postby bohrsatom » 2 Nov 2016, 8:02pm

That revolution is a great price if they have your size available.

Otherwise I like the Sirrus, almost bought one myself to use as a tourer. Guards and a rack will cost you about £60 so cover their cost by getting Evans to price match Tredz where the bike is only £350.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 2 Nov 2016, 10:26pm

I must sound like a stuck record.
Based on my experiences go to Decathlon... you won't regret it ....
The Road Goes On Forever

karlt

Postby karlt » 3 Nov 2016, 10:34am

landsurfer wrote:I must sound like a stuck record.
Based on my experiences go to Decathlon... you won't regret it ....

There are basically two kinds of cyclists. Those who always recommend Decathlon, and those who never do. There don't seem to be many in between.

(Cue lots of people telling me there are. Yes, it's called exaggeration, hyperbole if you will, to make a point)

I have to say I wouldn't budget that much for a bike to do this. Virtually anything will do. My "best" bike didn't cost that much, but then it came from Decathlon.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 3 Nov 2016, 11:08pm

At the £500 price point most of the big brands will give you a pretty decent bike. Reasonably light, and good enough components to be reliable. There's a lot to be said for having a pretty decent bike, not least that your more likely to enjoy using it and so progress to finding other reasons for cycling beyond the mundane. If you like it, don't be afraid to buy it, just be aware that, especially at this time of year you will need a few extras such as lights, mudguards and some means of attaching your luggage - as well as possibly needing some clothing to wear while riding it - warm, visible, with some pretensions to showerproof. Just make sure you have budgeted for everything you need and if that lot breaks your budget then have a look at Evans clearance section for a slightly cheaper bike, or one with guards and rack included. Bargains to be had at this time of year!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

Phil_Chadwick

Postby Phil_Chadwick » 3 Nov 2016, 11:41pm

for a 7/15 minute ride I'd buy something secondhand for £100 or so.