Cyclists memorial

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tinnishill

Cyclists memorial

Post by Tinnishill »

I was told by an elder of the tribe that there is a roadside memorial to a cyclist killed by lightning in the 1920's, somewhere a few miles north of Newton Stewart. I have hunted for it a few times over the years but never found it. Anybody know where it is ?
gaz

Re: Cyclists memorial

Post by gaz »

Bell's memorial?

Although Davie Bell died in 1965 and no mention of a lightning strike.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

No, it's not Bells memorial. The person who told me about this had actually been David Bell's office junior on the Ayrshire Post, but Archie has been dead himself a few years now so I can't go back and check. Somewhere west of Glentrool perhaps, and a small roadside stone with an inscription ? There are a few of these stones in Galloway, not well mapped by OS; I know of two to shepherds, one to a district midwife and two larger memorials to postmen, all killed by weather events while going about their duty. Can't find the cyclist, though.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DavidNichol wrote:I was told by an elder of the tribe that there is a roadside memorial to a cyclist killed by lightning in the 1920's, somewhere a few miles north of Newton Stewart. I have hunted for it a few times over the years but never found it. Anybody know where it is ?

I can't give you the grid reference but from memory this is how you get there.
It's about 6 1/2mls from Newton Stewart. Take the Girvan road out of NS and at the Challoch church turn left. I think locals call this the back road to Girvan. It's along this road, a white stone, to a lad who worked on a farm cycling to or from work I believe.

The other I know of is on the Dalry heading to Kendoon. Approx 2 mls before the hostel. Two cyclists, from Ayrshire, heading to the hostel and one had a heart attack.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

DavidNichol wrote:The person who told me about this had actually been David Bell's office junior on the Ayrshire Post, but Archie has been dead himself ...

Archie Venters? Ex-Navy News and Mullwharchar enthusiast.
Archie Hutchison? Ex- Daily Express. Only reporter to speak to Elvis at Prestwick Airport.

Great memories of the twa Archies, both Ayrshire Post stalwarts.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Thanks gents, I think that should do it. And, yes it was Archie Venters.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DavidNichol wrote:Thanks gents, I think that should do it. And, yes it was Archie Venters.

I've had my map out tonight. I hope this is where I recall. I'm fairly sure it was close to Knowe road end. Grid ref NX306724. Probably a few hundred yards past it.

E2E info
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Here we have it. It's at grid NX332698, on the western verge of the road.
Galloway cyclists memorial.JPG
Cyclists memorial stone.JPG

It's just as it was originally described to me. Unlike the other Galloway stones I mentioned there is no inscription of any kind, so passers by wouldn't know why it is there. After getting on for nearly a century, somebody is obviously still looking after it.

Cheers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pleased you found it. I was close but no T shirt. I remembered it after a farm road it must have been the on to Glassoch.
In my defence it's probably 20 yrs since John Taylor pointed that one out.

E2E info