Cycle route in London

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AaronR

Cycle route in London

Post by AaronR »

Afternoon all

Looking at a new job in London, got various options for travel there from Southampton but my preferred would be to cycle at both ends and train between

Would be leaving a bike at Waterloo for the London end of the journey and using my usual bike for the Southampton end of the journey

Using Google Maps I got this route using the cycling option

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Water ... 555684!3e1

From a pedestrian viewpoint I know what the roads are like immediately outside Waterloo and across the river, but heading out from there are there any routes you learned folks would recommend?
gaz

Re: Cycle route in London

Post by gaz »

No personal experience, TfL journey planner comes up with these: https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/resul ... ning=False
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AaronR wrote:Afternoon all

Looking at a new job in London, got various options for travel there from Southampton but my preferred would be to cycle at both ends and train between

Would be leaving a bike at Waterloo for the London end of the journey and using my usual bike for the Southampton end of the journey

Using Google Maps I got this route using the cycling option

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Water ... 555684!3e1

From a pedestrian viewpoint I know what the roads are like immediately outside Waterloo and across the river, but heading out from there are there any routes you learned folks would recommend?

you going to leave a bike at Waterloo over night? hope it aint a good one. If I could afford it I would get a Brompton and use it at either end?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Depends entirely on your preferred riding style. Google is sending you up the Kilburn High Road (A5) which is a pretty busy road and full of traffic lights. It wouldn't be my choice of route (I lived just off it many years ago...) but if you're a confident road warrior you might find it unremarkable. Other cycling-specific route-planners will find you a more relaxed route, but one which will probably involve more turns and be a bit slower. Your call as to which you prefer!

But whatever you do, I certainly wouldn't follow Google's suggestion of Oxford Street in a month of Sundays...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Personally I would not leave a bike overnight at Waterloo.

Oxford Street is fine in the mornings not so much fun in the evenings but then I don't believe any part of London is!

I would get across the river and then head towards Holborn and Euston. From there head towards Regent Park, and go north from St John's Wood.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:.....
But whatever you do, I certainly wouldn't follow Google's suggestion of Oxford Street in a month of Sundays...

yes Oxford St is the most polluted st in London?