Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ebgt
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Sep 2016, 8:21pm

Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby ebgt » 8 Nov 2016, 6:32pm

I'm aware of the various metal sheds that have police approval, but don't much fancy having a green/black metal box outside the house.

Does anyone know if there's a metal version out there that's clad with wood? Or something?

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4442
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Paulatic » 8 Nov 2016, 7:24pm

ebgt wrote:I'm aware of the various metal sheds that have police approval, but don't much fancy having a green/black metal box outside the house.

Does anyone know if there's a metal version out there that's clad with wood? Or something?


Why don't you clad one yourself? I wouldn't think it would be a big job Even a few plant pots and some trellis.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Heltor Chasca » 8 Nov 2016, 7:46pm

Paulatic wrote:
ebgt wrote:I'm aware of the various metal sheds that have police approval, but don't much fancy having a green/black metal box outside the house.

Does anyone know if there's a metal version out there that's clad with wood? Or something?


Why don't you clad one yourself? I wouldn't think it would be a big job Even a few plant pots and some trellis.


Or you could fashion a roundhouse like Paulatic's wonderful creation!

He paid me in dust caps to give it a plug. Really.

C'mon. Let's see the round shed again.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4442
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Paulatic » 8 Nov 2016, 8:06pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
ebgt wrote:I'm aware of the various metal sheds that have police approval, but don't much fancy having a green/black metal box outside the house.

Does anyone know if there's a metal version out there that's clad with wood? Or something?


Why don't you clad one yourself? I wouldn't think it would be a big job Even a few plant pots and some trellis.


Or you could fashion a roundhouse like Paulatic's wonderful creation!

He paid me in dust caps to give it a plug. Really.

C'mon. Let's see the round shed again.


Just for you HC :wink:
Hope this link works
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9516e67610
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Heltor Chasca » 8 Nov 2016, 8:32pm

Paulatic wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
Why don't you clad one yourself? I wouldn't think it would be a big job Even a few plant pots and some trellis.


Or you could fashion a roundhouse like Paulatic's wonderful creation!

He paid me in dust caps to give it a plug. Really.

C'mon. Let's see the round shed again.


Just for you HC :wink:
Hope this link works
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9516e67610


*sighs* The dust caps only marginally help me deal with my envy.

(Link obviously works he says without a hint of jealously)


steady eddy
Posts: 669
Joined: 1 May 2008, 11:02am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby steady eddy » 9 Nov 2016, 9:04am

I have two of the aforementioned "green metal boxes" - I liked the first one so much I purchased a second for garden stuff, to free up garage space. They are not cheap but are of good quality. They are however quite large. I have a big garden so have hidden mine out of sight. You could always attach trellis to one and grow stuff over it to disguise, it if you don't like the appearance.
If you live in a terraced house and are thinking of putting something like this in your front garden, then beware you may need planning permission.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14686
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby mjr » 9 Nov 2016, 10:50am

Can't you get a policy that is OK with a wooden shed with the bike locked to a ground-anchor?

The co-operative insurance home policy wording seems to required only that the bike is "locked to a
fixed point" and not necessarily behind a police-approved door (which seems reasonable because even garage doors often don't have five-point locks and all that).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
tykeboy2003
Posts: 1050
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 2:51pm
Location: Swadlincote, South Derbyshire

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby tykeboy2003 » 10 Nov 2016, 7:45am

Have you seen these?

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/metal-sheds/partner-apex-metal-shed/25781

8' by 8' for £259 sounds quite cheap to me, you'd pay over £200 for a 8' by 6' wooden one. Looks ok too and as other posters have said you can always put some trellis on it, would probably last a lot longer than a wooden one.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4442
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Paulatic » 10 Nov 2016, 8:40am

tykeboy2003 wrote:Have you seen these?

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/metal-sheds/partner-apex-metal-shed/25781

8' by 8' for £259 sounds quite cheap to me, you'd pay over £200 for a 8' by 6' wooden one. Looks ok too and as other posters have said you can always put some trellis on it, would probably last a lot longer than a wooden one.

I have a shed similar to that. I lost my key for the padlock one day so gave the padlock two clouts with a hammer. The lock didn't break, the door did.
Beef up the lock arrangement if you buy one of these.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby DaveP » 10 Nov 2016, 8:49am



Pity that page doesn't include a pic of the finished article, but I'm impressed by what I can see of the roof timbers - and really really impressed by the repurposed tyres :)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4442
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Paulatic » 10 Nov 2016, 9:04am

DaveP wrote:


Pity that page doesn't include a pic of the finished article, but I'm impressed by what I can see of the roof timbers - and really really impressed by the repurposed tyres :)


Found two more to add to it :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby DaveP » 10 Nov 2016, 9:31am

Can't see 'em unfortunately. I might have to go and look for my facebook password.
What I have seen of the roof structure caused me to think of this structure: https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... tion=click
I couldn't see what was holding it up even when I stood there looking up at it.
As for how to actually assemble it...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4442
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby Paulatic » 10 Nov 2016, 10:05am

DaveP wrote:Can't see 'em unfortunately. I might have to go and look for my facebook password.
What I have seen of the roof structure caused me to think of this structure: https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... tion=click
I couldn't see what was holding it up even when I stood there looking up at it.
As for how to actually assemble it...

Probably needs a new link because I added to it. Try this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9516e67610
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
tykeboy2003
Posts: 1050
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 2:51pm
Location: Swadlincote, South Derbyshire

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby tykeboy2003 » 10 Nov 2016, 2:58pm

I had another look at those steel sheds, in addition to the cost of the shed, you need a base (£50 for the 8' by 8') and floor (otherwise your warranty is void) I gave up at that point......

I suspect the total cost would be more like £400, still not bad though.

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Are there ANY wooden bike storage sheds that are police/insurance approved?

Postby DaveP » 11 Nov 2016, 8:22am

Paulatic wrote:Probably needs a new link because I added to it. Try this...

Sorry - that didn't change anything, but I managed to log into facebook - Nice shed! I love the roof :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...