Bike frame cleaner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brian696969

Bike frame cleaner

Post by Brian696969 »

I have been using Muc Off, but have been advised to use either WD 40 bike cleaner or plain paraffin. Any recommmendations ?
pwa

Re: Bike frame cleaner

Post by pwa »

There are obviously some places you should keep WD40 away from. Wheel rims, if you use rim brakes. Bearing seals, if you want to keep grease in good condition. Why not just car shampoo with a waxy residue?
Last edited by pwa on 10 Nov 2016, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I use Fenwicks for really greasy bits, otherwise simple car shampoo.
rjb

Post by rjb »

pwa wrote:There are obviously some places you should keep WD40 away from. Wheel rims, if you use rim brakes. Bearing seals, if you want to keep grease in good condition. Why not just car shampoo with a waxy residue?

Brucey wrote:I've mentioned this before, but one of my former clubmates swore blind that cleaning rims with WD40 worked wonders.

cheers

+1 :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Car shampoo with inbuilt wax, using a cheap paintbrush - 2 or 2.5 inch does it. Can even get under the mudguards this way!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I use Fenwicks, no problem. However I've just been working on my old Landy and had to removea few years muck and grease from around the steering swivels and differential, I used Swarfega oil and grease remover with a good pan scrubbing brush used neat it worked a treat. I've not tried it on the bike yet, I'm thinking it will be great for the chain and transmission parts.
As for parrafin be carefull on painted surfaces, many years ago I worked as loco cleaner / fitter at Dinting railway centre near Glossop, parrafin on paintwork was a big no no.
Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

rjb wrote:
pwa wrote:There are obviously some places you should keep WD40 away from. Wheel rims, if you use rim brakes. Bearing seals, if you want to keep grease in good condition. Why not just car shampoo with a waxy residue?

Brucey wrote:I've mentioned this before, but one of my former clubmates swore blind that cleaning rims with WD40 worked wonders.

cheers

+1 :D

Nuff said!
When my son was about 14 I took him and a friend out for a ride. When we collected the friend his mum explained that his dad had checked the bike over and cleaned the rims with WD because the brakes were squeaking :shock:
Sorted that and managed to get him home alive 8)

Turtle wax for me, usually. Fenwicks if particularly mucky. Wouldn't use anything oily to clean a frame because I'd want to clean the oil off before using it...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!