Which one has better components?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Which one has better components?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
7-8-9 speed..............hard / soft tail...............29 - 27.5 - 26.

Try Halfords?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ptys27

Post by ptys27 »

What do you mean by those numbers? i dont know much about biking. for that price i can see this in halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Do not buy anything from Halfords ..apart from a Boardman bike .... keep your distance. Poor quality, built down to a price very poor aftersales service...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
hamster

Post by hamster »

GT by a country mile: hydraulic brakes for starters.

The other two are as heavy as boat anchors...33lbs! :shock:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Of the 3 you posted, the Marin and the GT have very low end kit, mostly Tourney/Altus which are Shimano's bottom of the range groupsets. The GT does have hydraulic disks which are better than cable operated disc brakes on the other two, but harder to look after. The Decathlon has a SRAM groupset, which is a different manufacturer so hard to compare. The numbers mentioned in the above posts are the number of gears on the rear wheel cassette/freewheel. Normally more gears = better quality. Decathon have a reputation for producing good value for money own brand bikes.

Weight is also a good indicator of quality, as mentioned above. Lighter = better.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ptys27

Post by ptys27 »

So if you would be me which one would you choose?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

ptys27 wrote:So if you would be me which one would you choose?

Avoid the Decathlon full suspension one like the plague at that price point.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Being an Avalanche rider (although I built mine myself) - I would go for the GT 8)
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

Rockrider 520 from Decathlon if you don't need full suspension.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Avoid the Decathlon full suspension one like the plague at that price point."

Absolutely! A suspension fork that is worth having is going to cost more than the whole bike price! For the same reason, any hardtail worth having is going to be > half a grand. It's a shame that so difficult to buy a decent rigid mtb for a sensible price - but then do you need an mtb?
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Do not buy anything from Halfords ..apart from a Boardman bike .... keep your distance. Poor quality, built down to a price very poor aftersales service...

That's simply not true. There's plenty of good bikes available at Halfords, there's models in the Carrerra that have long had a good reputation, the Subway in particular. One of the MTB Vodoo bikes was MBRs bike of the year! Diamondback have some good offerings as do Raleigh. Service from Halfords can be a bit hit and miss, but the same can be said of other volume retailers.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

" There's plenty of good bikes available at Halfords, there's models in the Carrerra that have long had a good reputation, the Subway in particular."

Correct!
PH

Post by PH »

I'm glad to see you've been able to increase your budget from the other bikes you were previously asking about. For around the £300 mark you should be able to find something that will give you many miles of pleasure.
I don't know much about the choice, or anything about the bikes in your links. There are some things I think it is worth considering. As has been said, suspension isn't necessary unless you are getting into serious mountain biking, in which case you'll need a bigger budget, so best avoided. Disk brakes have become popular, but decent ones are several times more expensive than V brakes and unlikely to be found at this price point. The rear gears will be either a freewheel or a cassette, the later make for a stronger wheel.
I started cycling on something similar to this
www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-anteron-2 ... e-EV258042

In the couple of years I had it, I commuted 8 miles most days, did a couple of Sustrans tours, started riding with a CTC group and did my first couple of Audax rides. It wasn't the best bike I've ever had, I certainly got my monies worth.
ptys27

Post by ptys27 »

i'm to heavy for a bike with the normal fork