Another ill informed idiot starts a petition

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: Another ill informed idiot starts a petition

Post by TrevA »

ANTONISH wrote:I stand to be corrected but I believe the number of uninsured drivers on the road exceeds the total number of cyclists.

There are reckoned to be about 1.2 million uninsured drivers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... -road.html

whereas the total number of regular cyclists is reckoned to be over 2 million, with around 6 million cycling once a month or more often:

http://www.cyclinguk.org/resources/cycl ... statistics
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Postboxer wrote:I don't understand, why use change.org? Using the government's e-petitions site would mean it would get debated at 100,000 signatures, change.org may, ironically, not cause a change.

We could just start our own petition, how about, 'Declare war on the motorist'?
You mean like this
"The public roads used by cyclists are becoming unsafe to use due to one particular community that feel they are eligible to drive on public UK roads.A recent video created by the West Midlands police has lead me to creating this petition:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2710639034

Just like having to sit your theory and your practical test to obtain a driving licence, motorists should have to spend time cycling. What training have they had to use the road safely?

Insurance, if a motorist throws him/herself into the back of a stationary cycle... Who's to blame? Not the motorist... The cyclist would most likely have to pay their own excess to repair the damages.

I'm not sure on the percentage of how many cyclists die every year due to cycling on the road but if you provide suitable training for motorists, infrastructure and conditions I'm sure a lot more people will survive. "
:wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
johntea

Post by johntea »

Petition to block Owen McDermott's poorly informed petition asking for cycling taxes.

Click :D :D :D
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I would hope that those we have voted into parliament would be intelligent enough to realise that the original petition is full o' cr*p. If not, then we're in even deeper political trouble than I thought.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Annoying Twit wrote:I would hope that those we have voted into parliament would be intelligent enough to realise that the original petition is full o' cr*p. If not, then we're in even deeper political trouble than I thought.

Those in parliament sometimes have their own agenda which isn't always for the betterment of society.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

You can bet he doesnt ride a bike.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

johntea wrote:Petition to block Owen McDermott's poorly informed petition asking for cycling taxes.

Well done sir - I have duly signed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:
johntea wrote:Petition to block Owen McDermott's poorly informed petition asking for cycling taxes.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If the person who started the petition simply wanted to wind a few people up, he's succeeded! Best ignored perhaps?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Just keeping getting more people out on all sorts of bikes and hopefully we will reach a critical mass that will neutralise most of the moaners. At least being fitter and healthier we should build up our numbers by outliving them.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I think there are a minority of cyclists who do behave selfishly as there are a minority of vehicle drivers that do the same.
I've been cycling in London for over 36 years and my worse experience has been on a cycle lane being hit by another cyclist and then attacked. The road felt like a safer place to me rather than a bike lane. I happened to be cycling in London on a cycle super highway in July this year. Out side the houses of parliament a young arrogant fool busted a gut with his head down and without looking up he sprinted from the inside of the road to the outside he hit me so hard in the back wheel that I thought it was a car. He had a melt down and attacked me whilst I was bleeding in the middle of the road. It was a motorbike rider on holiday who came to the rescue. After causing the pile up the attacker road away. He was well spoken and had the same belief of entitlement that reckless car drivers tend to have. An Australian and a Canadian have told me of a tactic whereby people that cause accidents purposefully cause confusion and fear and make their get away whilst others are sorting out the issue as they don't want be held accountable for their actions.

It could have been Owen or someone like Owen that hit me?
I'm not sure but I think things are getting worse now that I have seen this ill informed petition.
I'll sign the block.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

reohn2 wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

+1

me too + another one
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

6. ............ The crux of this is simple - drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists all have a right to use the road safely.

The above statement is incorrect. Motorised vehicles do NOT have the right to use the roads.
That is why they HAVE to be "Registered & licenced" before being "ALLOWED" on the roads.

Three main groups have the "RIGHT" to use the Highways and Byways of GT Britain, they are:-

1 Pedestrians (inc pedestrian controlled vehicles)
2 Bicyclists
3 Horses and Horse drawn vehicles.
These groups are what the "highways and byways"(roads included) were created for.

(There are some ROADS that the above groups cannot use BUT they HAVE to be signposted showing the restriction.)

With a few exceptions ALL others need to be licenced registered & insured AND must be maintained to (at least) the minimum "Road worthy" standards as outlined and tested on an annual basis (MOT etc).

Apart from that well done "signed".
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

It is annoying to see that people who have to be trained and tested before they can take their choice of vehicle on the road having their privilege referred to as a right.

BUT..

Once they have earned that privilege they do have the right to exercise it safely.

But, then again, you can't say "that spotty yoof hasn't got a licence so I'll ram him and his clapped-out hot-hatch into the ditch", either. Even those who have no actual right to be on the road have the right to be safe while on it.

I'm going to stop here, before my brain turns into a corkscrew :lol:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster