Uppadine Cycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
wa15hey

Re: Uppadine Cycles

Post by wa15hey »

Hi all,

Very little out there in terms of Uppadine info and resources but this long-running thread gives me hope of some help :)

My uncle bought an Uppadine in the early 60s and basically lived on it until he got his first car in '65. He still has the frame (racing bike, dark red) and I would love to restore it / have someone else restore it for him.

Any recommendations in terms of identifying the correct parts to source or who in the doncaster area would be good to approach for the work or at least some advice?

Many thanks
AndyWatson

Post by AndyWatson »

Sorry to come to this thread late but I can add a bit of late history to the subject.

I was a member of Donny Wheelers in the early 70's. I had an Uppadine bike which may have been one of the last.
I bought it second hand but almost new for circa £75 which was a bargain. It had 531 DB tubing and Campag kit including the brakes which were still pretty new. I used it for both TTs and road racing. I loved it.

When Uppadine were closing I bought a Campag toolset which had been used in the workshop.
I still use it occasionally, and apart from the crank extractor has performed well for 50 years so far.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

My brother sent e this

Weren’t Uppadine made by Mercian? Always had the barber poll seat tube paint job. Jack Rollitt was there mechanic/wheelbuilder.

Andy Watson, I think we used to race against you back in early 70’s
AndyWatson

Post by AndyWatson »

KM2 wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 8:39am My brother sent e this

Weren’t Uppadine made by Mercian? Always had the barber poll seat tube paint job. Jack Rollitt was there mechanic/wheelbuilder.

Andy Watson, I think we used to race against you back in early 70’s
Who are you then Mr KM2? Maybe we were both in the wheelers. Most people knew me as Winker then - for Winker Watson in the Dandy kids mag.

By coincidence, I now live near Derby and in conversation with a now retired ex Mercian employee Uppadine frames came up.
He confirmed that they were made by Mercian.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Pm sent, Andy.