Uppadine Cycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
E27006

Re: Uppadine Cycles

Post by E27006 »

Visiting a church where a branch of my family are buried, I came across the gravestones for the Uppadine family, I think they are the former owners of the cycle shop. St Katherine church Loversall nr Doncaster
case

Post by case »

uppadine wrote:
DSC_7402.jpg

I have a really beautiful Uppadine from 1969 which I bought from the only owner, who had bought it as an 11 year old. It's slightly too large for me (22.5 inches I think, from memory) so could be available. It has undershot seat stays, chromed chainstays, seatstays and forks, 105 chainset. Pictures available.

do you still own the uppadine bike
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

It went joyfully to an Uppadine collector in Sheffield.
Dunwerkin

Post by Dunwerkin »

Hello All - I came upon this old thread while trying to dredge up some long lost information on my short time in Donny Wheelers back in the early 60's. Just seeing this thread made me smile with memories of a much softer time, but then even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

It was Googling Jack Rollitt that brought me here. He was simply the best wheel-builder I have ever come across, the wheels were true and stayed that way for longer than any others I have had. I was a shift-worker at the time and so had many a spare day in the week to visit Uppadine's shop on Balby Road. It was a proper bike shop, you could go in chat, get advice, chew the cud and spend nothing - they knew you would in time. I remember Mr Uppadine well and always called him Mr Uppadine (as others have said) and remember his son Martin, and Jack Rollitt working in the back. I also believe that Uppadine frames were mostly made by Mercian at that time. I had a Mercian King of Mercia road frame and an Uppadine track frame (bought in a sale) used with fixed for riding to work. I was sad to hear that Jack passed many years ago.

My only claim to fame as a racing cyclist was winning the 1964 Doncaster Wheelers hill climb champs (Brookhouse Carr) - I managed to get to the top fractionally faster than the other three!! I still have the medal and a photo taken half way up by Jack Rollitt who was a keen photographer. My wife also has a head and shoulders of me (aged 20) taken by Jack for a racing licence - it shows me in my James Dean period ( stop laughing at the back ).

Happy days
Shaun Underhill

Post by Shaun Underhill »

Continuing on this fascinating thread regards Uppadine Cycles can anyone please advise or help me as to where I can obtain replacement Uppadine transfers?

I am looking to refurbish one of these frames. Also does anyone know about Uppadine's frame numbering?

Thanks

Shaun
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Shaun Underhill wrote:Continuing on this fascinating thread regards Uppadine Cycles can anyone please advise or help me as to where I can obtain replacement Uppadine transfers?

I am looking to refurbish one of these frames. Also does anyone know about Uppadine's frame numbering?

Thanks

Shaun

If the decals currently on your bike are in reasonable condition, Lloyds or other decal printers may be able to help if you send some pictures and measurements.
Beauty will save the world.
Shaun Underhill

Thanks,

The frame has the block style lettering on the down tube which I might guess is the successor to the flowing script type. Unfortunately there are no head tube or seat post crests on the frame. I think there might have been two versions of this badge.

Lloyds don't currently list Uppadine transfers on their site though I'm waiting to hear back from them whether this might change.

Shaun
Shaun Underhill

Further to my previous post regards decals,

I have spoken to Steve at Lloyds Decals and he confirms that he can supply the down tube lettering transfer but not the head badge which I need. He's asked me to send a decent picture of the head badge which will enable him to produce some. This will benefit any owner needing replacement badges.

I've downloaded a picture of the one shown on this thread but would ask if anyone who has a bike with a badge in good condition could kindly photograph it and send to me along with the dimension sizes.

With thanks

Shaun
shaun.tanglin@sky.com
Shaun Underhill

Still looking for some good quality pictures of the Uppadine head tube transfer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks

Shaun
case

Post by case »

Shaun send me your e mail address , l can help you
Shaun Underhill

Many thanks,

My email is shaun.tanglin@sky.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Shaun
Dan Glick

Post by Dan Glick »

Henry Uppadine's only daughter lives in California..
His grand daughter Megan Franks also lives in California
She has a beautiful Triumph motorcycle & is a hot air balloon pilot...she has a very active Facebook..
dougcarlton

Post by dougcarlton »

This is an interesting thread. I am trying to find out what happened to the bike shop opposite Uppadine, John Turton, Cycle Centre. The shop was fantastic and John was really helpful back in the day.
Can anyone provide any information?
DeanC64

Post by DeanC64 »

I have lovely Uppadine which I have had refinished by Dave Marsh at Universal cycles with the all the transfers available now from LLoyds. I have had this bike since the early 80's but the frame is probably late 50's or early 60's with pencil slim stays and Nervex lugs and Cyclo dropouts.

I am trying to identify the year of mine as I cannot work out if the frame number signifies the year or not. Any help from other owners would be very much appreciated. I have been told a few times that the Coventry reference on the badge was a cover and the frames were built by Mercian or Bob jacskon. I cannot remember the shop in Doncaster as it had closed about five years before I became a keen CTC and Doncaster Wheelers club cyclist and I used HO Smith on Copley road, well Tony Smith to be exact.

I was thinking also of trying to gather as much information as possible to put an article together for other owners. My Fathers cousin (Corfield) was Uppadines wife, so I also have a family link as well.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Please please post some pictures
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies