Uppadine Cycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxhound

Uppadine Cycles

Post by foxhound »

Grateful for any information on this marque please.I believe that they were in the Doncaster area.
m100

Post by m100 »

I can't be absolutely sure (But I'll try and confirm with a couple of local people in the next few weeks) but as far as I recall they were based at 127 Balby Road, Doncaster on a site later occupied by John Turton Cycles - I bought a new Carlton from John Turton in the early 1980's (the address decal is still just about readable on my bike which is currently sat on my rollers)

My father had an Uppadine (using 531) bought back in the late 1950's which had sat gradually decaying in his shed from the late 1970's. Mr Uppadine himself was long retired and still living in the Doncaster area in the early 1990's as I looked him up in the local telephone directory to see if he had any decals left - he directed me to John Turton but unfortunately they had nothing left - they've long since closed down and a quick web search shows a plastering company occupying the site - I passed there in the last week but didn't even recognise the old premises.

I eventually had the bike re-enamelled by Bob Jackson's in Leeds about 10 years ago - sadly the head badge had long since gone and couldn't be replaced but the tube decals used by Bob Jackson's were close in design (or identical) to those at

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Uppadine_Cycles.htm

Hope this helps!
sedwin

Uppadine Cycles

Post by sedwin »

I bought a couple of bikes from Uppadine's in the early 60's. The owner was always referred to as 'Mr Uppadine' to his face, 'old man Uppadine' behind his back. ( I think his name was Harry ) . His son , Martin also worked in the shop, but I don't think he wanted to continue after Harry retired. Martin will be in his late 60's/early 70's now, but may still live locally. The 'real' cyclist employed there was Jack Rollitt, master wheel-builder and a Doncaster Wheelers and CTC member. Sadly Jack died many years ago.
I always believed, but can't confirm, that all the frames under the marque at that time were bought in from Mercian and/or Jacksons.
m100

Post by m100 »

That name seems familiar - I think Jack Rollitt must have been the old guy who was still at John Turton's in the 80's, again I'm sure a couple of local contacts I know will be able to confirm this.

One thing that muddies the waters is this.... (taken from the classic rendezvous link)

Doncaster and Coventry....... :?: :?: :?: :?:

It's mildly interesting that the picture of the globe is arranged so that the America's are missing completely :)
Billrow

Post by Billrow »

I was born and lived just a couple streets away from Harry Uppadines Shop at No. 246 Balby Road, the building is still there at the corner of Balby Rd. and Albany Rd. although sadly no longer a cycle shop. It is not to be confused with Turton's cycle shop which was on the opposite side of Balby Road just a couple hundred yards away towards town.
Harry was certainly there in the 1930's and up to the 1960's when he retired. I believe his son Martin died back in the 1960's and Jack Rollitt was also employed there.
Harry used to drive from his home in Tickhill Rd. Balby, in his highly polished Jaguar.
Along with my mates, it was always an adventure walking into Harry's shop, with all the gleaming brand new cycles on show. The left hand shop window was cycle spares and on the right was the showroom. Harry was always helpful to us whenever we wanted bike bits or just advice. On a Saturday afternoon you couldn't move on the large forecourt pavement area due to cyclist coming from miles around to see the shop.
Boyblue

Re: Uppadine Cycles

Post by Boyblue »

I have an uppadine that I am currently restoring.
It was the bike my father always wanted but could not afford as he used to gaze through the shop window in balby.
I could post pics of the bike if anyone was interested.
rayva

Post by rayva »

Regarding the location of Uppadine cycles. They were based in Doncaster in a shop on the Balby road. I used this shop regularly for cycling gear in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
guitarpete247

Post by guitarpete247 »

Hi, New to this forum but spotted the Uppadine topic. As I remember the shop was actually at the junction of Alexandra Road not Albany Road and Balby Road. This link should show the site of the shop. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Balby+Road,+Doncaster&aq=0&sll=53.526661,-1.128159&sspn=0.012526,0.038409&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Balby+Rd,+Doncaster,+South+Yorkshire+DN4,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.508851,-1.147428&spn=0,0.038409&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.508745,-1.147353&panoid=T_eNqt4wnrbKxVu9IP2cPw&cbp=12,269.07,,0,-3.65

Is there a better way to post a link?
guitarpete247

Post by guitarpete247 »

uppadines shop.JPG
uppadines shop.JPG (22.44 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
I hope this loads. I found this old advert for Uppadine's and thought I'd add it to this thread.
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

DSC_7402.jpg

I have a really beautiful Uppadine from 1969 which I bought from the only owner, who had bought it as an 11 year old. It's slightly too large for me (22.5 inches I think, from memory) so could be available. It has undershot seat stays, chromed chainstays, seatstays and forks, 105 chainset. Pictures available.
Last edited by uppadine on 28 Sep 2013, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
phil parker

Re:

Post by phil parker »

m100 wrote:It's mildly interesting that the picture of the globe is arranged so that the America's are missing completely :)

That's probably to show off more of the British Empire?!!
E27006

Post by E27006 »

Uppadines lasted until the mid 1970s, my family purchased all our childhood bikes from the dealer including my first 2-wheeler, a 17" Raleigh Explorer. I can recall seeing the Moulton speedsix and later the Moulton Mark 3 of 1973-74 in the shop window.
The shop suffered the malaise of the era as cycling went out of fashion, the shop diversified into Triang model railways and Airfix to supplement bicycle sales.
I too recall the crowds of cyclists outside the shop on a Saturday during the mid sixties.

The shop changed roles a few times over the years, including discounted furniture, then fireworks/party novelties, today it is charity shop where I donated a many items from my late mothers estate a few months ago.

Malcolm Meachen
JohnKeith

Post by JohnKeith »

Hi I used to visit Uppadines in the 60's. I'm sure I remember a photo of Tommy Simpson riding one displayed in the window. does anyone else remember this? I have an Uppadine.
Streakle

Post by Streakle »

Billrow wrote:I believe his son Martin died back in the 1960's and Jack Rollitt was also employed there.

m100 wrote:That name seems familiar - I think Jack Rollitt must have been the old guy who was still at John Turton's in the 80's, again I'm sure a couple of local contacts I know will be able to confirm this.

sedwin wrote:The 'real' cyclist employed there was Jack Rollitt, master wheel-builder and a Doncaster Wheelers and CTC member. Sadly Jack died many years ago.

Hi there I can confirm Jack Rollitt did work for both shops, and yes he sadly passed away in the mid 80's at the age of 60.
keith Cadwallader

Post by keith Cadwallader »

I was born in Balby only a mile from Uppadines shop,and used to cycle past the shop on my way to school.I spent a lot of hours looking in the shop window. I think I knew the prices of stuff better than martin who I believe is still alive and living in the Doncaster area.I purchased a made to measure frame in about 1957. and built it up with TA Stronglight chainset , campag grand prix gears and maffac breaks. It was to me the dogs whatsits.
I was always given to believe that the frames were all made at their other premises in Coventry.
I still have a photograph of myself riding a time trial taken by Jack Rollic who was a keen photographer and an excellent mechanic.

Keith Cadwallader

Ps does any body know of a Doncaster guy called Ray Whitely. I would love to meet him again if he is still around