Torn about getting rid of old bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nightowl

Torn about getting rid of old bike

Post by nightowl »

Anyone ever get feelings of nostalgia when it comes to getting rid of a bike? I've got an old Raleigh Max Cromo I bought in the 1990s when living in Wales. It's been a good bike down the years but isn't really up to the type of off-roading I want to do these days. I'm also living in London now and it's a bit of a tractor in terms of city commuting. Much as it doesn't suit my needs these days, I'm a bit torn about getting rid of the old thing. Don't have huge amounts of space though so would be awkward to keep it.
landsurfer

Re: Torn about getting rid of old bike

Post by landsurfer »

Put the narrowest tyres on it you can .... and its suddenly a city bike ...lol
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've never gotten rid of a bike that I had that sort of nostalgia for :oops:

I've had a couple stolen, and given away or sold some bikes that I wasn't so attached to.

But the first bike I ever bought new? Still have it. 8)

If they hadn't been stolen, I'd probably still have a couple of old 10 speeds around.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I'm not nostalgic about getting rid of an old bike, just slightly annoyed that I won't be able to get a new one exactly like it to minimise disruption to my routine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I sold my 35 year old racing bike in 2014 and it was like losing an old pet. As my Wife stated (correctly) I hadn't used it for 4 years (and then only once) It made sense to sell it 1)because I gave up racing several years ago and 2)As it didn't have mudguard eyes or great clearances it wasn't suitable for our muddy roads. To use P -clips or similar to attach mudguards and inevitably at some time in the future ruin the paint wouldn't (for me) be an option.
If someone else wanted to do that (and I didn't see it!) then at least I'd done my duty :roll:
It's replacement (in fact 2 bikes... 1 for gears and 1 for fixed) are used without (much) worry if they get scratched etc - I'll just blob some paint on!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

27 year old road bike, sat in tiny bike shed with two others. Not roadworthy and not been ridden on for 5+ years. The other bikes are my only useable one and my partners only usable bike. Plus my kid's balance bike and pedal bike. All in a shed you can hardly fit into to get a bike out.

The better half used to tell me to sell it on. After a while she started telling me to sell it on or get it roadworthy and use it. Now she just tells me I have to sell my current, roadworthy bike before getting a new one. I think she's understood how much I think about that bike. It's the only part of me and my life she hasn't been able to change!!!!!

I really.don't know how it means so much to me other than it was bought after my first proper summer job. I'd been doing overtime that got my pay packet just over the £100 mark some weeks. Then the next spring poo stumped up £450 to get a Raleigh M-trax road bike. Yes a road bike with m-trax badge. Race ready road bike was the blurb and it rolls very nicely on 700x23c tyres. I just used it for a few years in the summer holidays then it went for a few years being used to for a couple of weeks/rides before I got back into riding again. Then retired after I realized the steering was shaking, loose quill steerer or worse. I've done some nice rides in it. Nothing that far just around the Ribble Valley area and into east Lancashire too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nightowl wrote:Anyone ever get feelings of nostalgia when it comes to getting rid of a bike? I've got an old Raleigh Max Cromo I bought in the 1990s when living in Wales. It's been a good bike down the years but isn't really up to the type of off-roading I want to do these days. I'm also living in London now and it's a bit of a tractor in terms of city commuting. Much as it doesn't suit my needs these days, I'm a bit torn about getting rid of the old thing. Don't have huge amounts of space though so would be awkward to keep it.

I should imagine with the right tyres fitted(which needn't be narrow)but would need to be slick for road use,something like these:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/26-x- ... -inch-559/
,it'd make a good commuter or these if you want to go really wide and comfy:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-50559/
I've just recycled a similar bike that makes a great hack and would also make a good commuter(bottom of the page on this thread:- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832&start=1410
But if it's surplus to requirement and won't fetch much to sell,I'd find someone down on their luck who needs a bike and give it to them on the understanding they'll use it,or give it to one of the bike charities that'll make good use of it.
I can't think of a better thing to do with something that's worth little and I've had my use out of.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden