Pilgrim Audax Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steady eddy

Pilgrim Audax Bikes

Post by steady eddy »

Does any body here have a Pilgrim Whitedown Audax bike?

I had been considering a Spa Titanium Audax bike, but my head has been turned by one of these rather beautiful - if slightly expensive- steeds as a replacement or possible addition to my Galaxy, which is bit on the lardy side for days out with the boys on their road bikes.

If you have one - your unbiased impressions would be appreciated.
pwa

Re: Pilgrim Audax Bikes

Post by pwa »

I have a Spa Titanium Audax and it is very good, but what it does lack is the old world charm of a painted steel frame. I find steel rusts for me, but if you don't have that tendency I'd say it is down to personal preference. Both should ride nicely. Both should be faster than a Galaxy (with the same effort) and a tad slower than a pared down carbon road bike. You should buy what makes you feel good.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I'd never heard of them. Took a look at the website and it does look nice. It also says you can book a test ride which if your thinking of spend £2k+ might be a good idea.

An alternative if you want a steel Audax style bike similar spec, other than a custom frame but over £1k less.

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/road- ... 0wodAeoFfQ
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, have a look at them in the flesh and maybe have a trial ride. I wonder who makes the frames. Compare with what you could get from, say, Enigma or Dave Yates. You want to know that the tubes are closely mitered and properly brazed. A chat with the shop owner may give you some assurance.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I understand that they are made by Ellis Briggs but I might be wrong
PH

Post by PH »

It's not a frame I'd heard of and looks nice enough, IMO not really that special though, unless it offers you something that the Spa bike you're considering doesn't. The offer of test rides sort of indicates these frames are not custom made, though that may be available. Nothing wrong with buying on aesthetics or a desire to support small British manufacturers, but neither of which affect the ride.
A full custom frame may offer more options, though from what I've seen many don't. Tube set and geometry to suite your weight, riding style and usage ought to be the start, though many so called custom are more a la carte, in which case it's hard to see how the extra expense produces a better bike.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

steady eddy wrote:I understand that they are made by Ellis Briggs but I might be wrong

David who owns Pilgrim Cycles is a good guy, I'm sure he did his homework deciding who was going to make them for him and I dare say his put his own 'stamp' to the specification. As such potentially he may have no issue who confirming who the builder is.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 26 Dec 2016, 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Whitedown seems a bit expensive at £1950, considering they do an off the peg tourer for £1200. I know the Whitedown has a 105 groupset, but that doesn't account for the difference.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Well I took the plunge and I am now the proud owner of a Pilgrim Whitedown Plus Audax bike and I love it. After a couple of hiccups over gearing Pilgrim have put together a wonderful bike using old stock Campag to give me a triple chain set on the front and 13-27on the rear. Built on a Bob Jackson frame made to their spec and finished in a surprisingly attractive beige colour (Latte?) with 28mm tyres, mudguards, deep drop brakes and a rack it has everything you need on a bike. The quality of finish is superb and it rides like a dream. It all worked as it should from the off and there are no rattles or squeaks.

The ride from Victoria to Liverpool Street to get the train home was "interesting" after the rural lanes of Norfolk and Suffolk,including the obligatory cabbie with his head out of the window saying "nice bike mate" - I pedalled off before he enquired about the price.

Thank you Dave this is a fantastic bike.

For any body thinking about a custom built steel bike, Pilgrim are well worth a visit. If you are just stopping off at their café for coffee. then the chocolate tiffin is a must.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

They certainly look very nice and from your comments sound as though they ride well. However I would want a bigger rear sprocket than 27 for the hillier parts around here.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Mike - We don't have any hills worth mentioning in Norfolk and my Galaxy has a 26/32 as its lowest gear so I have it all covered.
They will, in any event, build any achievable gear set up you want.
PH

Post by PH »

Where's the photos :wink:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Have to say that I'm quite tempted by the Pilgrim off the peg tourer, which seems good value for money at £1200, but I wonder if it only comes in green? I'm quite taken with the maroon frame set in one the pictures.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

PH - the photos will follow soon but there are some good ones on their website and blog of similar bikes.
Trev - there is a wide range of colour choice, but I wasn't entirely convinced that the gold coloured Pilgrim logo's really went with purple. There was a review of the tourer in Cycle a couple of issues ago.