Pub Bikes: cheapest, best build?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Canuk

Pub Bikes: cheapest, best build?

Post by Canuk »

Hate spending money on short distance utility bikes. Here's my attempt at a pub bike, Raleigh Yukon, total cost, including tenner original purchase price at car boot sale, £21.80!
Attachments
104649508_614.jpg
Stewart H

Re: Pub Bikes: cheapest, best build?

Post by Stewart H »

Just the job! a little too clean perhaps. :wink:
freiston

Post by freiston »

Not much more than a round :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

that will do the job nicely
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Pay for a pub bike!!! :lol:
Side of the road was where the last came from. Donations of bikes are stripped of the good bits and junk added before riding. I would regard any of them being worth no more than the value of the inner tubes and they are always multi patched.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Thinking about it, you might need to spend as much again on lights (unless all your drinking is in daytime ;))
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

freiston wrote:Thinking about it, you might need to spend as much again on lights (unless all your drinking is in daytime ;))

Lights: pound shop. Front and rear.

Batteries: Alkaline 12x, as above!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

THIS is a Pub Bike (or rather Trike)

Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cunobelin wrote:THIS is a Pub Bike (or rather Trike)

Where can I buy one? :lol:
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Halfords have this for £85, basic single chain ring and no suspension, could do worse and with(shh rival ) british cycling membership discount brings in in at £76.50
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... untainbike
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

actual cost of 'pub bike' is arguably a little immaterial; if it is used 'as intended' the cost of the bike will soon be drowned in a sea of beer expense, and all bikes need some fettling, so how do you value your time....?

For me, a good pub bike needs to

a) be fitted with idiot-proof, theft-proof lights, and
b) mudguards , and
c) needs to be sufficiently scruffy looking that it doesn't look to be worth nicking.

The OP's bike arguably fails on all three counts. If you want a practical bike that might give you a proper laugh to boot, an old Raleigh with a chaincase, dynohub, and fork lock would be a top pub bike. Having removed the (essential) main lock, (but with the fork lock still engaged... :wink: ) you can challenge your tipsy chums that 'they can't ride your bike'.... :mrgreen:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Nice bike. I assume you live in the city? My pub bikes are any bike I own as I am rural. I leave them in the stable yard behind the pub. I rarely lock them apart from the one with Dutch/nurses lock. Then only becouse they are so quick and simple to lock.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Brucey wrote:
The OP's bike arguably fails on all three counts. If you want a practical bike that might give you a proper laugh to boot, an old Raleigh with a chaincase, dynohub, and fork lock would be a top pub bike. Having removed the (essential) main lock, (but with the fork lock still engaged... :wink: ) you can challenge your tipsy chums that 'they can't ride your bike'.... :mrgreen:

cheers

Exactly what I want albeit just to look at and with a porteur rack to boot. Occasional rides no more.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Brucey wrote:actual cost of 'pub bike' is arguably a little immaterial; if it is used 'as intended' the cost of the bike will soon be drowned in a sea of beer expense, and all bikes need some fettling, so how do you value your time....?

For me, a good pub bike needs to

a) be fitted with idiot-proof, theft-proof lights, and
b) mudguards , and
c) needs to be sufficiently scruffy looking that it doesn't look to be worth nicking.

cheers

Ladies version might be a better bet for mounting it for the return journey....
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Not a pub goer, but my shopping bike is the same idea. Old Raleigh Plaza folder out of a skip. Mis-matched cranks (the left was missing), mis-matched tyres already discarded from better bikes, old steel rim rear wheel with the hub welded up (didn't have a brake cable spare), duct tape for handlebar grips, plastic crate on the rack... My local supermarket is close enough to walk to, but a bit far to walk back with shopping bags. This thing does the job nicely, cost nothing (a welding rod and a large bolt, everything else came from the skip or the scrap box) and lives outside. It's not likely to be stolen and won't matter if it is.