What constitutes a beautiful bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PhilWhitehurst

Re: What constitutes a beautiful bike?

Postby PhilWhitehurst » 28 Dec 2016, 10:05pm

Curves and a heart of gold within.

tinyworld

Postby tinyworld » 28 Dec 2016, 11:30pm

JohnW Wrote
Ride on tinyworld - ride on.

There is no way It’s going to stop me riding because of what someone says, or their opinion of my bikes. Riding recumbents gives you a thick skin, not that I didn’t have one anyway.
The Longstaff was designed for a reason, having a bad back at the time. I also wanted to ride upright as well as my recumbents. I didn’t want an enormous handlebar stem, hence the long head tube. The short effective top tube, so that I could sit upright. The crossed frame gave me room for a dismount, without becoming a soprano in the local choir. Also a stiff frame, for when touring with a full set of panniers. A 25” diamond frame with a full load can be a bit of handful IMO.
And no the Longstaff is not a beautiful bike. That I accept.
It was just the idea of what people find is a beautiful bike. Or what they would find beautiful. I would not ride a racing bike, not my kind of riding, but some of them are beautiful. My Moulton, and the beauty of its intricate frame work. The beauty of the fold on a Brompton. The lug work and paint job on a Hetchins. I like to look at all bikes, and find what people think of them. Not just their own bikes, but all bikes.

Canuk

Postby Canuk » 29 Dec 2016, 7:19am

I suppose the essence of a beautiful bike is that it gets you from A to B in silence, with no drama or mechanical issues. Outside of that remit, it's all show pony stuff :lol:

531colin

Postby 531colin » 29 Dec 2016, 7:47am

You can't hide behind a respray, you know!

Canuk

Postby Canuk » 29 Dec 2016, 7:53am

531colin wrote:Image

I actually rather like the look of that diamond frame. Personally a bit too much silver components for my liking, I've always found black goes better with black.

martin biggs

Postby martin biggs » 29 Dec 2016, 10:07am

barrym wrote:Horizontal top tube and lugs!

and a nice seat cluster arrangement
Last edited by martin biggs on 30 Dec 2016, 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Dec 2016, 11:15am

Canuk wrote:Image

I actually rather like the look of that diamond frame...

apologies if this sounds pedantic, but that is not 'a diamond frame' in the usual sense; that frame design is known as a 'cross-frame' and is as old as the hills;

the one above is pre-war (WWII) but Raleigh were making these before the previous war (WW1) too!

Unlike an ordinary diamond frame, the cross-frame is fully triangulated. i.e. the bending loads from the fork don't generate comparable bending loads in the main part of the frameset (top tube and down tube) as they do in a diamond frame. On the plus side the X-frame is very stiff and durable, but on the minus side whatever contribution the frame flex makes to the ride quality is pretty much lost.

It also isn't (to most people's eyes) a very cohesive design; 'ugly' is probably overdoing it, but some folk would say exactly that. Oddly enough the X-frame was one candidate frame design for a project I am in the middle of. There are practical difficulties associated with this frame design for sure, but the main reason it wasn't selected is because of the Marmite looks; for the task in hand there are other frame designs that will work as well (or better), but will look more cohesive.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 29 Dec 2016, 11:27am

Hi,
Image Attachments
wimx5f.jpg
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44555&start=100
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Dec 2016, 11:35am

scores 10/10 on the fuglometer....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tinyworld

Postby tinyworld » 29 Dec 2016, 12:05pm

colin531 wrote

Well Colin its time you got some new glasses, its the same color that it always was.
You know me its always well polished. especially when its on show

PH

Postby PH » 29 Dec 2016, 12:07pm

I see nothing ugly in that Longstaff, I think silver components on a black frame sets it off. The unusual frame design catches the eye, I’d need convincing that it did what was intended but wouldn’t reject it on aesthetics.
I like bikes to look purposeful, whatever the purpose. Then proportional, I dislike the look of large bikes on small wheels, I realise how the fit between the contact point is achieved has far less importance than that it’s correct for the rider, it still needs to look “right” for me. For finish I like deep colours and preferably with a good gloss, but no sparkle, then matching components, black or silver , any colour matching it has to be a good match and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done. I prefer subtle to brash, though we’ll all have different definitions of what those two words mean, it’s hard to define but I know it when I see it.
It’s probably easier for me to define what I think is ugly than what’s beautiful. Untidy is a good start, stuff attached with cable ties, poorly fitted lights, bodged mudguards. Then stuff that looks like it doesn’t belong, a rack on a road bike, skinny tyres on a MTB…. None of which is rational and often impractical - I won’t have a handlebar bag bracket on a bike that I’d occasionally like to but a bag on, just because I dislike the look of it without a bag… I’ll carry an empty saddlebag rather than an empty support. Pumps attached to bottle cages, I can’t do it, has to either be proper frame fit or out of sight in a bag.
I laugh at myself even while writing this, I know it makes no difference, I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone else’s bike ugly, I’d rather not ride a bike I considered ugly, nor would I particularly care if someone had a different opinion, other than in jest.
For real ugly, bikes on cars are winners, maybe beaten by bikes gathering dust in a shed.

tinyworld

Postby tinyworld » 29 Dec 2016, 12:21pm

it doesn't show up well in the picture, but it's dark blue not black.
should have taken the picture from a different angle

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Dec 2016, 1:37pm

tinyworld wrote:JohnW Wrote

There is no way It’s going to stop me riding because of what someone says.....................

When I said "Ride on" I didn't mean go away, I meant don't listen to critics, just enjoy it and ride on - preferably in sunshine. :D :D :D :D :D

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Dec 2016, 1:39pm

PH wrote:................I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone else’s bike ugly........... nor would I particularly care if someone had a different opinion, other than in jest.

For real ugly,...........cars are winners..............

I know that's not what you said PH, but..............

tinyworld

Postby tinyworld » 29 Dec 2016, 1:59pm

JohnW wrote:
tinyworld wrote:JohnW Wrote

There is no way It’s going to stop me riding because of what someone says.....................

When I said "Ride on" I didn't mean go away, I meant don't listen to critics, just enjoy it and ride on - preferably in sunshine. :D :D :D :D :D

No John, I didn't take it that way. I knew what you meant, ignore the critics. and that is what I was trying to say. sorry for confusion.