Black ice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hamster

Re: Black ice

Post by hamster »

Don't forget local variations, shadowed areas and frost pockets will always consistently differ from a forecast.
nez

Post by nez »

Threevok wrote:
pwa wrote:Never tried the studded tyres, but thy sound like a bit of a faff, considering how few days of the year are icy around here. Maybe a better idea if you have a second bike that can be left with studded tyres on over the winter, to be used when in doubt.

There are indeed a faff, with the constant on and off - especially if you use them in conjunction with slime tubes. Also, some days, you just don't know what the conditions are going to be, until the morning - a bit of a rush to change them beforehand, if you commute.

As you mention, I have my second bike set up already, which is a lot easier. When I only had the one bike, I would leave the spikes on - from the beginning of November to the end of February.

Spare wheels night be a cheaper alternative. I've got my spiked tyres on an old set of wheels.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
nez

Post by nez »

horizon wrote:
samsbike wrote:
What I am unsure about is when to expect ice. Tonight it's down to around -3c and then staying there or thereabout so tomorrow should be cold. Today it's dry so am I safe to assume that the likelihood of black ice is greatly diminished?

I went for a ride this afternoon in bright, cold, sunny conditions. The road was nice and dry and the forecast was for 6 deg. I reached the point where I know ice can form as water runs across the road from a hillside. And sure enough there it all was: across the road in thin sheets, in puddles by the side of the road and icicles hanging from the bank. This stretch of lane is in shadow for much of the day in winter. I turned back, albeit with some slipping and sliding (I had dismounted). This is southern Cornwall BTW at sea level, not Scotland.

My point is that I don't recall the forecast being below 3 deg overnight but I don't know how to check this (any ideas?). My rule of thumb is that if the forecast or actual temperature falls below 3 deg overnight for your area then the studded tyres are justified in the morning. A lot will depend on local conditions and whether you cycle on main roads but I presume the forecast is for the weather conditions at the local weather station and won't take into account shady or wet spots.

UPDATE:
I've checked the forecast on the Met Office website:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... rification
This gave a minimum of 1 deg so quite accurate but still not freezing.

Freezing conditions for road surfaces is considered to be plus 4

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

mjr wrote:Look at "minimum ground temperature" on forecasts like http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... NOREGION=1

Typically, it's at least 4°c below the air temperature given in the main forecasts, plus you can usually deduct another couple of degrees in winter for the countryside outside the given town.

But remember that this is wind dependent. The forecast "air" temperature is for 2m above the ground. In still conditions there can indeed be a 4C difference at ground level due to the ground radiating heat and the air stratifying above. In windy conditions, the air is being constantly mixed so cold air next to the ground is quickly replaced with milder air.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The problem is we don't really know. So do you take the studded tyres or not? I would say as a rule of thumb 3 deg (forecast air temp) is about right but people seem to be saying even 4 deg is worth thinking about. What we are all agreed on is that you don't need to wait for zero, which answers the OP's question.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nez

Post by nez »

Given the difficulty of mounting them I would say changing tyres for the entire winter season is the trick, unless you have super thumbs. At least no one will be able to say 'I never heard him coming'
horizon

Post by horizon »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Given the difficulty of mounting them I would say changing tyres for the entire winter season is the trick, unless you have super thumbs. At least no one will be able to say 'I never heard him coming'

For a short commute or a trip to the shops, I agree that it's worth just leaving them on. Someone else has suggested a spare pair of wheels (that's what I have) or even just an old mountain bike. People say that for the UK winter it isn't worth thinking about studded tyres but for all the anxiety and uncertainty caused by the possibility of ice, it seems a small price to pay. It's not as though cycling on studs is that bad - just a slower ride and a rumble. At least you get there in one piece and with an easier mind.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nez

Post by nez »

Yes I put them on some old wheels so I can swap back and forth. The trouble is as you get older the results of falling off don't mend so quickly, so I've decided to err on the side of caution.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Yes, I bought a spare pair of wheels which I could "simply" swap as required. Unfortunately I didn't give it enough thought when I bought the wheels and ended up with rims which are significantly wider than the other pair so I have to fiddle around with the brakes when I swap over. :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I keep studded tyres on my winter bike, and any time there is a serious possibility of ice, I use it.

I have ridden my road bike a couple of times and discovered that it was icy a bit further from home. I just went cautiously, and took my time, and mostly stuck to the main roads. When it was on my way to work it cost me some time.

I've also ridden on studded tyres a couple of times when I didn't need to, and frankly I'd rather that, as much work as it is, than risk a fall.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robc02

Post by robc02 »

At the first sign of ice, usually in November, I fit my summer touring bike with studded tyres. I leave them on until around March. I am fortunate in having another winter commuter for when studs aren't necessary, but when in doubt I commute on the studs and put up with the slightly longer ride time.

There are one or two sections of my rural commute that are often icy even when the temperature at home is a few degrees above freezing. My old test of checking the garden bird bath and/or car windscreens for ice has let me down a few times so now I take the "better safe than sorry" view!
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Got "black iced" this morning. Rode into work as normal (though the freezing fog was "interesting"), put the bike away, stepped outside the building and sat down rather suddenly. The shallow concrete ramp which serves as a doorstep was almost frictionless with an invisible coat of ice.

It can be lurking anywhere, and it'll get you even if you fit studs, it just waits for you to get off the bike. Seriously, though, if the back doorstep was iced I must have ridden over a fair bit of it, I used several lanes and cyclepaths that don't get gritted. Studs work.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Ruadh495 wrote:It can be lurking anywhere, and it'll get you even if you fit studs, it just waits for you to get off the bike

Wear studs on your feet also. 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Threevok wrote:
Ruadh495 wrote:It can be lurking anywhere, and it'll get you even if you fit studs, it just waits for you to get off the bike

The bargain shops have been selling ones that clip over shoes - although they might be selling out by now - but I've not tried them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

mjr wrote:
Threevok wrote:

The bargain shops have been selling ones that clip over shoes - although they might be selling out by now - but I've not tried them.

Indeed. I use the single strap type myself