Artistic cycling in the UK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SiDo

Artistic cycling in the UK?

Postby SiDo » 5 Jan 2017, 10:51am

Artistic cycling is very specific sport. Specific to the level of being strange for some people :D But it is very demanding and interesting and that's why it is chosen over all these types of cycling. The problem is finding a coach of artistic cycling in the UK. Have anyone here ever heard of someone that teaching basis and more in this sport? Info is appreciated, Thanks :D

[XAP]Bob

Re: Artistic cycling in the UK?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 5 Jan 2017, 12:09pm

never heard of it - any videos etc?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jan 2017, 12:31pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:never heard of it - any videos etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78jKNv-8f8 :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

whoof

Postby whoof » 5 Jan 2017, 12:33pm

It's mainly a German thing.

There is an Artistic Cycling UK page but nothing has happened on there for 12 years.

http://artisticcyclinguk.blogspot.co.uk/

The person running it, Chris Sly (22nd at the World Champs in 2007) seems 'active' and had been working with the Nation Centre for Circus Arts in Shoreditch, London but this was in 2012. Perhaps they could put you in touch.

http://nationalcircus.tumblr.com/post/2 ... ng-trainer

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Jan 2017, 2:44pm

Wot?
No helmets?

:shock:
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Jan 2017, 3:49pm

now I have seen everything :lol: next roller blades :idea:
belongs to the same family of peculiar exertions as those who do acrobatics with long streamers or swim in tandem.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 5 Jan 2017, 4:08pm

reohn2 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:never heard of it - any videos etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78jKNv-8f8 :wink:

Stand corrected - I have seen it on these very pages before (somewhere)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jan 2017, 4:49pm

mercalia wrote:now I have seen everything :lol: next roller blades :idea:

Why not?
I've the utmost admiration for such skills,and like to watch talent watch a good trick skateboarder or scooterist(the one leg push variety :wink: ) or trials rider(motorcycle or cyclist) and marvel.

belongs to the same family of peculiar exertions as those who do acrobatics with long streamers or swim in tandem.

Which also have artistic qualities,though TBH synchronised swimming's talent are somewhat lost in the water to the observer IMHO.

some time ago I saw a 12year lad just riding along put the front wheel in the air for I say 30 to 40m I very nearly applauded him :) .
I've also watched teenagers in central Manchester practicing street running skills and thought superb :)

Look a little deeper and see wonderment :wink:

EDIT:- If you ever get the chance go and watch a Circ du Soliel show,mind blowing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 5 Jan 2017, 6:23pm

I cycle up and down Artist's Lane in Alderley Edge quite often. It is steep.

aaa.png
aaa.png (111.23 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Jan 2017, 6:54pm

There are a couple of Unicycling clubs in / near Luebeck, they do occasional shows but do not seek publicity so actively. Almost all the members are girls and almost all are under 16. They do some great tricks, it is fun to watch.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Jan 2017, 6:56pm

mercalia wrote:now I have seen everything :lol: next roller blades :idea:

No no, it is just another sort of cycling and is good for mental and physical development.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

freiston

Postby freiston » 5 Jan 2017, 10:26pm

I might be inclined to a certain type of cycle 'artistry' if only I had a pub bike. As things are, any artistic endeavours in that particular pastime are quite pedestrian.

I just watched the video and found it most impressive. Makes me even more embarrassed at my first time ever attempt on rollers tonight - I could only manage about 20 seconds without holding on to the wall.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 6 Jan 2017, 8:24am

Very impressive, but not a true sport for me, same goes for all "sports" where judges have to award marks to decide the winner (figure skating, diving, etc)

groberts

Postby groberts » 6 Jan 2017, 9:59am

Clever but belongs in the circus!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 6 Jan 2017, 11:11am

tykeboy2003 wrote:Very impressive, but not a true sport for me, same goes for all "sports" where judges have to award marks to decide the winner (figure skating, diving, etc)

Hmm - Whilst I can sympathise with your pov I don't think that the inability to measure something purely by the (long defunct) Olympic standards of faster/higher/stronger (or whatever they were) should stop it being considered a sport.

We always have judges in sports - deciding where the javelin landed, deciding whether a delivery really was lbw, deciding if the ball crossed the line, or was touched on it. Those decisions can often make more difference to the result than in the more artistic sporting endeavours.

If you look at diving for instance the scores are normally pretty even across the board - they have lots of judges, discard to top and bottom two and then are left with (normally) lots of judges agreeing on the same score (or within a unit of it).

If you want a really silly sport that kind of moves the other way - speed walking. It is widely acknowledged that all speed walkers break the fundamental rule (at least one part of one foot in contact with the ground at all times) and, possibly because of this, they refuse to actually use any form of technological assistance for the 'judges' who wave a flag if they think it's gone "too far".
So the winner is easily measured in terms of time, but the activity is utterly bogus.