Carrying spd sl pedals and cycle shoes with cleats as cabin baggage.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whiskywheels

Carrying spd sl pedals and cycle shoes with cleats as cabin baggage.

Post by whiskywheels »

Anyone done this recently?

I'm only taking cabin baggage on this year's trip to Mallorca, and would have my spd sl pedals and shoes in my carry on bag.

I've seen lots of stuff on various forums etc. about this, but the answers seem to vary from 'sure no problem' to 'I had my pedals confiscated', so I don't feel any great confidence even though the equipment isn't on any banned items list I'm aware of.

Have you travelled with cabin baggage containing spd sl pedals (or similar) recently, and did you have any difficulties going through security?
delilah

Re: Carrying spd sl pedals and cycle shoes with cleats as cabin baggage.

Post by delilah »

I always put my pedals in my bar bag which I take on as hand luggage and have never had a problem. I wear my cycling shoes but they are SPD and a bit easier to walk in.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Never had an issue but if you are concerned about the pedals why not zip tie them to the saddle railsor in a seatpack?
The shoes won't be a problem for sure.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Always take mine. Been stopped once as the screen operator said they looked like guns. Must have been a newbie as security are used to cyclists coming and going. I always have my helmet strapped to the outside of my case as well so it's pretty obvious. I once got stopped in Palma on the way back as they were confused by my Brooks saddle in carry on. Security searcher guy just laughed and told me to carry on. It was a young girl on the machine. If Palma are not used to cyclists then we have no chance.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I carried SPD-SL pedals to New Zealand as cabin baggage. They were not even mentioned.

By accident, I took a new brake cable on board as cabin baggage. When I realised that I had it, I brought it to the attention of security assuming that it would be confiscated. However, they were unconcerned and allowed me to keep it. While I pointed out that it could be used as a weapon to strangle people, I was told that anyone who tried that would be immediately 'taken down' by other passengers.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Annoying Twit wrote:I carried SPD-SL pedals to New Zealand as cabin baggage. They were not even mentioned.

By accident, I took a new brake cable on board as cabin baggage. When I realised that I had it, I brought it to the attention of security assuming that it would be confiscated. However, they were unconcerned and allowed me to keep it. While I pointed out that it could be used as a weapon to strangle people, I was told that anyone who tried that would be immediately 'taken down' by other passengers.

You were lucky. I had my small cable lock taken off me. I was told that I could strangle the pilot with it. He was explaining this to me as I was buckling back on, my large leather belt.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why not keep the pedals with the bike?
Why have them separate?

I can understand that they want the pedals removed, but strap them to the bike along with other stuff like pumps and spare cables.

I've never flown with a bike, so I'm in the dark about this. I was just using a bit of lateral thinking.
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Mick F wrote:Why not keep the pedals with the bike?
Why have them separate?

I can understand that they want the pedals removed, but strap them to the bike along with other stuff like pumps and spare cables.

I've never flown with a bike, so I'm in the dark about this. I was just using a bit of lateral thinking.

Assume he is renting a bike in Mallorca. A lot of the hire shops now charge extra for pedals.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Why have them separate?

I'm not the OP, but: I wasn't flying with a bike; I was flying to a country where I had bought a bike. I wanted to have my choice of pedals. Though, in the end I changed my mind and bought pedals locally anyhow. The bike I bought had pedals of a type that I didn't want to use.
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

Like I said;
whiskywheels wrote:I'm only taking cabin baggage on this year's trip to Mallorca.................

If I had hold baggage, the bike and/or a suitcase, I'd obviously put the pedals in there wouldn't I? :lol:

I'm going to my usual training camp where, unless I'm going for more than a week, I hire a bike; you have to take your own pedals and helmet.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's looking a little more positive for taking the pedals judging from your comments. I don't know what a pair of carbon Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL pedals cost these days, but I'm sure it's more than I'd want to lose to security!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Why have them separate?

Yep or even thread them on the inside of the cranks.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

whiskywheels wrote:Like I said;
whiskywheels wrote:I'm only taking cabin baggage on this year's trip to Mallorca.................

If I had hold baggage, the bike and/or a suitcase, I'd obviously put the pedals in there wouldn't I? :lol:

I'm going to my usual training camp where, unless I'm going for more than a week, I hire a bike; you have to take your own pedals and helmet.
Why not have hold baggage?

If all you want to take with you will fit in a carry-on bag, you still have the entitlement to hold baggage. Why not put your carry-on baggage in the hold? Put anything you may want on the flight into pockets?

When I've flown, all I wanted was something to read, and my Garmin Montana to track the flight path. I never ceases to amaze me how BIG the carry-on baggage that some folk take on flight actually is. They shove it in the overhead lockers, and there it stays for the duration of the flight.
Why take it into the cabin in the first place?

Sorry, not getting at you personally. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

Mick F wrote:
whiskywheels wrote:Like I said;

Why not have hold baggage?

If all you want to take with you will fit in a carry-on bag, you still have the entitlement to hold baggage. Why not put your carry-on baggage in the hold? Put anything you may want on the flight into pockets?

When I've flown, all I wanted was something to read, and my Garmin Montana to track the flight path. I never ceases to amaze me how BIG the carry-on baggage that some folk take on flight actually is. They shove it in the overhead lockers, and there it stays for the duration of the flight.
Why take it into the cabin in the first place?

Sorry, not getting at you personally. :oops:

I don't need hold baggage, I can get everthing I need in the cabin baggage entitlement. There is no hold baggage entitlement, it costs extra each way, and I don't need it. In addition, I don't have to queue to check it in, can go straight to security, and don't have to wait round to collect it from the carousel. All for something I don't need or want. Got it now? :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
OK I understand. :D

Seems to me, that you have to contact the airline about your pedals well before you travel, so they will be expecting you and your pedals.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Always take my own shoes and SPD pedals when we travel abroad, i hire bikes at whatever resort we visit.
I clip the shoes to the pedals and pack them.
We only take hand luggage for up to 10 day hols ..
Twice they have been queried, but when they see the shoes attached to pedals the security folk get the picture right away ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.