B&M dynamo lights- are they worth the extra ££s?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

B&M dynamo lights- are they worth the extra ££s?

Postby niggle » 21 Jan 2017, 1:27pm

Just wondering as I have two non B&M brand German approved dynamo lights, the Axa Luxx 70 and the Hermanns H-One S (95 lux) and they both seem very good in their own way, for quite a bit less money than the equivalent lux output B&M lights. I have not had a B&M light myself but have seen others using them (though not sure what models exactly) and did not notice a significant advantage.

ukdodger

Re: B&M dynamo lights- are they worth the extra ££s?

Postby ukdodger » 21 Jan 2017, 2:09pm

niggle wrote:Just wondering as I have two non B&M brand German approved dynamo lights, the Axa Luxx 70 and the Hermanns H-One S (95 lux) and they both seem very good in their own way, for quite a bit less money than the equivalent lux output B&M lights. I have not had a B&M light myself but have seen others using them (though not sure what models exactly) and did not notice a significant advantage.

I had one and it worked well. B&M dynamos do have a variety of wheels for different conditions, a wire one for instance that is great in wet and snow. The wheels are easily changeable too they flip off and on.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Jan 2017, 2:12pm

a) are the ones you have reliable
b) give the illumintion you want
c) have the facilities that you require ( many of these expensive lights have usb ports/standby lights/ daylight lights and sensors )

if the answer is yes to these ? then BM wouldnt do any better?

I have an Axa Pico30 is good enough for my needs and was half the price of the equivlaent BM one

niggle

Postby niggle » 21 Jan 2017, 2:36pm

mercalia wrote:a) are the ones you have reliable
b) give the illumintion you want
c) have the facilities that you require ( many of these expensive lights have usb ports/standby lights/ daylight lights and sensors )

if the answer is yes to these ? then BM wouldnt do any better?

I have an Axa Pico30 is good enough for my needs and was half the price of the equivlaent BM one

Both lights have standlights, the Axa has a sensor coupled with an auto switch position (which I do not use as I know when to switch my lights on) and the Hermanns has daylight running lights- two small but bright LEDs at the bottom of the light, in addition to the main emitter, that are always on. Neither have a USB output but for a few quid more the Axa Luxx 70 Plus does. The Hermanns is new but the Axa has done two years all weather commuting with no problems.

robc02

Postby robc02 » 21 Jan 2017, 8:15pm

The key point, perhaps, is the illumination pattern. B&M generally concentrate their light into a roughly trapezoidal shape onto the ground in front of the bike, extending well into the distance (when aimed correctly) with minimal spillage sideways and upwards. Having the light concentrated in front of you like this is normally considered to be good for road riding, though the lack of sideways illumination can make it difficult to see turn-offs on unlit roads. Mine is a Cyo - Some recent ones have a broader pattern.

As stated above, other makes are cheaper for the same total light output, but is there any information about the beam pattern?

PH

Postby PH » 21 Jan 2017, 8:54pm

This is the way it is with lights - ours are always good enough, then we get something better, then we wonder how we ever managed before.
I had the last of the top quality halogen dynamo lights, the SON E6s, two wired together so the second could be used from a reasonable speed. If you dredge back far enough on this forum, or others, you'll probably read me saying how absolutely fantastic they are and how could anyone want better. Now they'd be considered so dim you couldn't give them away.
Are the B&M lights better than yours in some way? Some of them will be. The current B&M lights are better than the B&M lights from a couple of years ago. The cheaper alternatives are likely to be a few years behind the top makes, often just getting round to imitating them by the time they move on to the next generation.
Are they worth the extra? Not to someone who's happy with cheaper lights obviously. Do you need the extra they offer? Probably not, but others may. I'm happy with some older technology, I have a ten year old Supernova and a six year old Edelux, the current versions of both are far brighter, but I'm happy with what I've got.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 21 Jan 2017, 9:15pm

The H One S (V2: the 75/95lux one) has the advantage of being neutral white so better in the rain (and should be more pleasant for oncoming traffic anytime) than the usual cold white. But I think its beam is narrower than modern B&M lights like the Cyo Premium and above:

Unfortunately, I have been unable to persuade B&M to use warm/neutral white LEDs :( .
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Jan 2017, 9:26pm

PH wrote:This is the way it is with lights - ours are always good enough, then we get something better, then we wonder how we ever managed before.
I had the last of the top quality halogen dynamo lights, the SON E6s, two wired together so the second could be used from a reasonable speed. If you dredge back far enough on this forum, or others, you'll probably read me saying how absolutely fantastic they are and how could anyone want better. Now they'd be considered so dim you couldn't give them away.
Are the B&M lights better than yours in some way? Some of them will be. The current B&M lights are better than the B&M lights from a couple of years ago. The cheaper alternatives are likely to be a few years behind the top makes, often just getting round to imitating them by the time they move on to the next generation.
Are they worth the extra? Not to someone who's happy with cheaper lights obviously. Do you need the extra they offer? Probably not, but others may. I'm happy with some older technology, I have a ten year old Supernova and a six year old Edelux, the current versions of both are far brighter, but I'm happy with what I've got.

thats consumerism talking. My cheap Axa Pico30 wont get stolen and cheap to replace if it gets broken. gives a good eliptical beam pattern with a little useful side spill & is bright enough for the speeds I go at in the dark., is also very compact. It seems the expensive BM lights ( and any expensive light ) just add a bit more brightness but really added features to go wrong

gaz

Postby gaz » 21 Jan 2017, 9:52pm

I picked up a second-hand Cyo IQ Senso on these boards earlier this year and have been using it this winter.

My yardstick is a Philips Saferide 80lux, the Cyo isn't as good but I'm still impressed with how good it is. I doubt that I'd have paid the full price to see whether or not I'd have been impressed by it.

I suspect a Fly IQ Senso Premium would suit my riding better, yet to convince myself it's worth the investment.

Then again if the new Spanninga Axendo fit B&M brackets without modification that may well be my next move.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

PH

Postby PH » 21 Jan 2017, 10:59pm

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:This is the way it is with lights - ours are always good enough, then we get something better, then we wonder how we ever managed before.

thats consumerism talking. My cheap Axa Pico30 wont get stolen and cheap to replace if it gets broken. gives a good eliptical beam pattern with a little useful side spill & is bright enough for the speeds I go at in the dark., is also very compact. It seems the expensive BM lights ( and any expensive light ) just add a bit more brightness but really added features to go wrong

I'm sure there's an element of consumerism, there probably is in most things we buy. But I have no doubt that better lights increase my enjoyment of night riding of which I do a lot.
I also have a dislike of the throwaway culture, both my lights were purchased with an expectation that they would last a long time, as I said so far so good, 10 and 6 years.

WorldWideWilby

Postby WorldWideWilby » 23 Jan 2017, 9:11am

The brighter the lights the less eye strain and the faster you can go.
I have the bm 100luxos lights which really light up the road. The do place the light on floor both in front and far away.
It seems that although some of the Chinese lights are brighter they just put a splurge of light on the floor.

A brilliant phone my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.
Last edited by WorldWideWilby on 23 Jan 2017, 2:04pm, edited 3 times in total.

niggle

Postby niggle » 23 Jan 2017, 1:48pm

WorldWideWilby wrote:The brighter the lights the less eye strain and the faster you can go.
I have the bm 100luxos lights which really light up the road. The do place the light on floor both in front and far away.
It seems that although some of the Chinese lights are brighter they just put a splurge of light on the floor.

A worthless piece of junk ! : my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.

I was not particularly thinking of the Chinese lights, I was asking about B&M compared to other European brands of dynamo lights that meet the same German StVZO standards, e.g Axa, Herrmans, Spanninga, Trelock (shame about Philips stopping production of theirs).

pete75

Postby pete75 » 23 Jan 2017, 2:24pm

WorldWideWilby wrote:The brighter the lights the less eye strain and the faster you can go.

And there was me thinking speed depended on strength and fitness.

Like the OP i have an Axa Plus 70 - the Luxx version with USB charging and a Herrmans H-one though the older 60 Lux one. Both provide more than enough light and both have proved reliable, the Axa for the last 2 1/2 years and the Herrmans for over 4. My son has an Axa Pico 30 on his tourer and that produces a more than adequate light output. The lights we have work well and I don't see any advantage in paying more .

This website has a wide range of dynamo light tests along with pictures of beam patterns etc. https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests ... ex_en.html

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jan 2017, 2:45pm

IIRC B&M lights come with a better warranty than most others?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 23 Jan 2017, 2:52pm

A brilliant phone my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.

maybe but impairs your night vision