Fast rolling tires? 26 inch

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Fast rolling tires? 26 inch

Post by andrew_s »

Brucey wrote:559 size tyres won't go away any time soon, but it remains to be seen whether the tyre manufacturers will bother to make all their new tyre designs in this size or not; we may eventually just be left with rather utilitarian tyres in this size.

I do notice that Schwalbe aren't producing their G-One range of tyres in 26", just 27.5" and 700c

Schwalbe reckon that the Pro One 26x1.125" is their fastest 26" tyre, followed by the Almotion, followed by Supreme*, Racer or Kojak.

* the Supreme comes with 2 different casings, the faster of which is 700c only.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

UpWrong wrote:Seems to me that there are no quick 559 tyres if you want wider than 28mm. I'm about to try a pair of Pasela PT 559x32. I've been disappointed by Kojaks (559x35) and Supremes (559X50) but the latter has been through many evolutions and I haven't tried the latest. Had lots of Racers (559x40) and they seem a good compromise. Wish Conti did the Gatorskins in 559x32 say. They're available as 700x32.
I

I think there is an ultra-gatorskin available in 26x1.25" but that probably isn't very fast either.

FWIW I have mixed feelings about tyre width in 26". On a typical lightweight bike with 700C wheels I'd suggest that ~32mm is a pretty good width to aim for, but in most cases it seems to be too narrow a tyre for a 26" wheeled machine.

I have concluded that I most likely feel this way because the framesets that accept 26" wheels are mostly much stiffer than a typical lightweight frame (that I'd choose to use) which accepts 700C wheels. I feel much happier using a 35-45mm tyre on most roadgoing machines that use 26" wheels.

This tallies with Andrew's comment about how the weight is suspended, and how it might influence actual Crr values. I don't think there is a single method of suspending a load with a compliance that would accurately represent how a good fraction of people sit on a bike with a frameset of known stiffness etc, but I'd like to see how changes in that can affect measured values; I think we might learn something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

StephenW wrote:Schwalbe Kojaks are described by many people as being quite fast. But on bicyclerollingresistance.com they get a very poor rating.

What's going on?

Are people being deceived by their perceptions? (more vibration=faster)

Are the bicyclerollingresistance.com tests simply wrong?

Do the bicyclerollingresistance.com tests not adequately reflect the real conditions of using a tyre?
[/url]

Yes, people are deceived, but by their own illusory superiority. Most people want to believe that when they purchase a product they have the best. The bias will have them ignore defects or rationalize them in order to stand proud with the item they have.
This syndrome is constantly viewed here on this forum, when a poster asks; should I get get this piece/bike/tire or the other one?
Many times, after about 12 replies the discussion can turn downright childish.

I am certainly not saying that everyone does this, but I will give Rollingresistance more credence than a poster who insults or gets catty to prove they are right.

I have only tried the Schwalbe Marathon 26X1.5, therefore, I am in no position to say that one is better than the other, but I really feel the speed when I fill them to 100 psi
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Wim Schermer has used a pendulum method to test quite a few 406 sized tyres as well as a few 559 ones. His results are here

https://wimschermer.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/bandentest/#googtrans(nl|en)

It is fair to say that his results also suggest the Kojak isn't that good (in 406 size). However it is interesting that he makes a comment about the Kojak's Crr varying a lot with temperature too.

cheers
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

UpWrong wrote:Seems to me that there are no quick 559 tyres if you want wider than 28mm. I'm about to try a pair of Pasela PT 559x32. I've been disappointed by Kojaks (559x35) and Supremes (559X50) but the latter has been through many evolutions and I haven't tried the latest. Had lots of Racers (559x40) and they seem a good compromise. Wish Conti did the Gatorskins in 559x32 say. They're available as 700x32.
I

Compass tyres are certainly fast and the narrow tyre is faster than wide tyre myth on real roads rather than test beds has been disproven.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

PhilD28 wrote:
I

Compass tyres are certainly fast and the narrow tyre is faster than wide tyre myth on real roads rather than test beds has been disproven.

I agree but please point me to readily available wider than 28mm tyres which use vectran rather than the slower kevlar/aramid belts for punture protection and have a real tpi per layer of more than 67.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW Schermer's results suggest that marathon racers are quite a bit slower (in 406 form) than Kojaks.

cheers
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

UpWrong wrote:Seems to me that there are no quick 559 tyres if you want wider than 28mm
...that you can buy now. IMO (and Dave McGraw's) Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks (40 x 559) are reasonably fast, which is why I have a spare in my tyre cave ;)

PS: SJS still have stock... Max 95psi though, so most likely stiffer than the Compass McClure Pass with 65psi max, but considerably less expensive :shock:
Last edited by squeaker on 16 Jan 2018, 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

UpWrong wrote:
PhilD28 wrote:
I

I agree but please point me to readily available wider than 28mm tyres which use vectran rather than the slower kevlar/aramid belts for punture protection and have a real tpi per layer of more than 67.

If you want fast comfortable tyres in 26” I suggest you forget about puncture protection and buy Compass tyres. I’ve been using them for quite a few years now, including on my expedition bike on long camping trips every year, typically 3 month tours each summer. To date only one puncture and very hard wearing. The Mclure pass is particularly good for that purpose.
sloyd

Post by sloyd »

Another vote for Compass. Very fast compared to the competition. I've been on 26 wheels since 1987 - mtbs and 650b steel bikes, and Compass are just bombproof. Grand Bois Hetre as a 42 is brilliant in the dry offroad touring.
Panaracer Gravel Kings aren't too shabby, but less robust.
Key to fast rolling is also to get the right inner - something light and supple like the Schwalbe sv 12
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

hercule wrote:I've used Panaracers on my Thorn XTC - Hi-Roads with latex tubes were fast but not particularly grippy on winter tarmac; currently shod with Paselas and butyl tubes, almost as quick and much grippier. I've tried 1.25" wide Pasellas but found them pretty harsh and dropped the bottom bracket height a bit too much (I imagine this will be even more of a problem on an MTB with typical 175mm cranks designed for 2"+ tyres). 1.5" tyres roll better, with the Paselas I can drop the pressure to the bottom end of the rated range for excellent comfort and grip at little apparent cost in rolling resistance.
I'm using 26x1.75 Paselas and they are fast rolling and comfortable. I can't remember if they're folding or wired without checking :oops:.

sloyd wrote:Another vote for Compass. Very fast compared to the competition. I've been on 26 wheels since 1987 - mtbs and 650b steel bikes, and Compass are just bombproof. Grand Bois Hetre as a 42 is brilliant in the dry offroad touring.
Panaracer Gravel Kings aren't too shabby, but less robust.
Key to fast rolling is also to get the right inner - something light and supple like the Schwalbe sv 12

Compass tyres are made by Panaracer according to Jan Heine
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Compass are indeed made by Panaracer using existing molds, but it’s the materials and lay up that make them better than the old Hi roads, which were a pretty good but flimsy tyre. I moved to compass when I used up the last of my stock of folding Hi road 1.5’s, Compass are most definitely a faster, and in my experience, a more reliable tyre.

Whether they are worth the price is a matter of perspective, I cringe when I buy them but it’s soon forgotten when I’m out on the road enjoying the ride.
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

I've used 26 x 1.6 Continental Sport Contact on my Surly Disc Trucker and I really liked them. Used this set up for Audax and light touring
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Apparently there's a Primo Comet in 559. I've no idea where to get one though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

UpWrong wrote:Apparently there's a Primo Comet in 559. I've no idea where to get one though.

Schermer's test data suggests that in 406 form it is a pretty draggy tyre. It has supple sidewalls, a casing that is not especially fine weave, and a tread that is rather stiff, presumably because of some puncture protection layer. I would imagine that this tyre rolls a bit easier after a few miles; most improve in this way, some more than others. The comet has a long way to go.

Years ago specialized had their tyres made by a different subcontractor (I think). I still have some 26" 'Nimbus' tyres from this time that have no puncture protection and rolled very easily; the casings looked a lot like Panaracer ones.

cheers