Who's had all the 26" wheels?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Threevok

Re: Who's had all the 26" wheels?

Post by Threevok »

On a side note - if anyone is interested, I have a set of 26" Mavic XC717 disc rims (black) on 6-bolt Deore M525 Disc Hubs (black)

They are straight as a dye and just need rebuilding on new hubs. I already have a new replacement Deore M525 Disc Front hub, but no rear

I was going to rebuild them myself but can't see me ever getting around to it.

If anyone's interested - make me an offer.
Last edited by Threevok on 26 Jan 2017, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Threevok wrote:On a side note - if anyone is interested, I have a set of 26" Mavic XC717 disc rims (black) on 6-bolt Deore M525 Disc Hubs (black)

They are straight as a dye and just need rebuilding on new hubs. I already have a new replacement Deore M525 Disc Front hub, but no rear

I was going to rebuild them myself but can't see me ever getting around to it.

If anyone's interested - make me an offer.

If it's just that the hubs are rumbling a little it's usually just the cones that need replacing,it's cheaper to buy new hubs and use the cones axles and balls out of them.
Alternatively grease them up and keep running them,they'll get worse but IME it takes a good few(10?) thousand miles until they are appreciably worse,one thing's for sure they won't collapse.I had an low end Shimano Altus 7sp hub that I ran year after year that with the wheel held by the axle felt like it was running in sand :shock:,the cones were shot.I just kept regreasing it annually and it just wouldn't die :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed, the hubs get a bit rumbly but then seem to go on forever. I typically just back off the cones, check it all looks reasonably OK (no rusty grease). Then I squirt in some more grease, retighten and then let them get on with it.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

reohn2 wrote:If it's just that the hubs are rumbling a little it's usually just the cones that need replacing,it's cheaper to buy new hubs and use the cones axles and balls out of them.
Alternatively grease them up and keep running them,they'll get worse but IME it takes a good few(10?) thousand miles until they are appreciably worse,one thing's for sure they won't collapse.I had an low end Shimano Altus 7sp hub that I ran year after year that with the wheel held by the axle felt like it was running in sand :shock:,the cones were shot.I just kept regreasing it annually and it just wouldn't die :)

Actually the front one isn't bad and (as you say) probably only needs regreasing. However, both the race and the cones on the rear have had it. In fact, I think I discarded the innards of the rear hub completely after inspection.

I can't complain though. I estimate they did 12,000 miles easy - without any service (lazy me) since I bought them in 2007 from Merlin. and still true too :shock: