Holdsworth Frame Numbering

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dwscrimshaw

Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Post by dwscrimshaw »

Hi, new to this forum and came across it while trawling the web for frame number info.

Like other I have tried to document the use of Factory frame numbers and attached where i have got to below with a link to my Cloud account. It has t be said this is an estimate/guesstimate and numbers do show up anything upto two years latter often due to shop builds and general production delays.

Hope this is some use, pls use with caution. it is no substitute for good model recognition and documentation. Also if anyone has some number they are happy to pass on to me that would be good too.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TNKZkN4TmM
Last edited by dwscrimshaw on 19 Apr 2018, 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Re: Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Post by Brucey »

good work!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dwscrimshaw

Post by dwscrimshaw »

Last edited by dwscrimshaw on 19 Apr 2018, 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

Thank you for that, I can now shift mine from a 1981 Holdsworth to a 1982 Holdsworth.
My previous guess was based on the types of brazings, it still has the rear derailleur cable run on top of the chainstay which I thought would have made it earlier than 1982.
It can have its 35th birthday all over again now! :lol:
Yma o Hyd
drossall

Post by drossall »

That's interesting. My Mistral is still a year younger than meic's, just as it was before.

Yes, I thought it was a 1982 model, but it looks as though it might be 1983. I dated it on the components, but it seems that they didn't change between the two years.
meic

Post by meic »

I ruled out 1982 because all of the frames in the catalogue had frame ends with adjusters in them and my bike does not. I do know that my frame was "made to order" by somebody who could be described as a bit idiosyncratic and he wanted to use 27" despite the rise of 700 wheels. So it would not have to conform to the norms of the catalogue.
Yma o Hyd
drossall

Post by drossall »

The Mistral was 27" in both years, as indeed is mine. It may never have been 700C; it disappeared from the range in 1984 or 1985.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

My Mistral has frame #048397 and must therefore have been made in late 1983, yet it was not sold until after October 1984. I know this because I still have the bike as well as the 1983 brochure, the hang tag and the Oct '84 price list which all came with it.

I think I must've bought it in early 1985 when Holdsworth were at the point of collapse and Mistrals were on clearance sale for £359 per complete bike. That was the price I paid - ludicrously cheap even for the time and an offer I simply couldn't refuse.

As far as I'm aware, all Mistrals had 27" wheels (with Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs and Super Champion rims) but by 1983 were the only model still to retain them, all other models (Avanti 501, Elan, Special etc.) having 700c. As my frame's history shows, this was no doubt due to the fact that by 1983, Holdsworth were already making more Mistrals than they were able to sell.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've got #44805, a little earlier in 1983 it seems.
custom753

Post by custom753 »

I am in New Zealand and have two Professionals.

The most recent is #014689 in original metallic 'peacock' blue, slightly deeper than the blue on the team Professionals. The components I bought it with appeared to be original (going off the paint quality under clamps etc) and they, and the SN, point to around 1979. The photo is from when I first bought it prior to clean up.

The earlier bike, SN 34454, is a factory model, based on the seat stay strap and rivets on the head badge. The lack of chrome implies 1969, which is consistent with the second chart you published. The photo is from today - I've only just taken it out of the box and am about to start stripping it for resto.

Thanks for the research you're doing into these beauties.

Laurence
Attachments
Holdsworth Pro 1969 small.jpg
Holdsworth Professional small.jpg
drossall

Post by drossall »

custom753 wrote:The photo is from when I first bought it prior to clean up.

Looking forward to seeing them after you've worked on them :D
custom753

Post by custom753 »

The '79 is looking good. I had to repaint the top tube but the rest of the frame came up well, although the decals are quite faded. All the same I don't think I'll replace them - nice to keep it as original as possible.

I'll post some pis over the next few days :)
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

These are some photos of two Holdsworths that I thought were 1951/2. The very small 531 decal was listed by Lloyd transfers as only being used in those years. Does anyone know when the type of head badge shown was replaced by the later type. The frame number on the grey frame is 16020 but just at the moment I can't find the number of the cream "Tornado" frame. I've just finished refurbishing the grey "Cyclone" one, two days ago. It's now a red one.
531Decal.jpg
WFH2Decal531Small.jpg

Badge.jpg
FWH2BadgeSmall.jpg

WFH2Small.jpg
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've posted this before, but here's mine:
custom753

Post by custom753 »