Trekking bike choices

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MarcusT

Trekking bike choices

Postby MarcusT » 31 Jan 2017, 11:12am

Hello. I am new to the forum and looking for some advice.
Until now, I have been using an old hybrid to do touring. Rear rack, 700cX35 tires. It's a worthy bike, the problem is, that it was one of the first hybrids to come out and the components are not standard. Seat post, fork stem, hub width, are no longer available. So now, I am looking to replace it (sadly). I cannot afford a full fledged touring bike, nor would I want to risk having a 2,000 euro bike stolen
My choices are:
1-Convert my MTB. I have a mid range MTB with decent components, but need to replace the shock fork with either a solid fork or one with lockout, new crankset with road ratio chainrings, fenders, slick tyres. In all, will cost around 400 euro.
2-Buy a new hybrid, a good one can be had for about 500 euro with an additional 100 to convert. Total: 600 euro
3- The Decathlon. Btwin Hybrid City Bike 700. A trekking bike, fully decked out. Good components, and all the touring accessories, a little heavy though. Price: 600 euro
I am not a full time rider. I do a few thousand kms a year. Mostly on paved or country roads, no off roading. Usually carry about 10-15 kgs of gear, but would like to start camping.
I would appreciate any sound advice.

Thank you
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike

hamster

Re: Trekking bike choices

Postby hamster » 31 Jan 2017, 3:58pm

I'm amazed about the story of bits not available; it's not true.

You probably have 130mm rear hubs - all road hubs are still 130mm, so available. Front hubs have not changed from 100mm in 50 years.
Likewise headsets in 1" threaded are still readily around. You can buy seatposts in 0.2mm increments also.

Time to find a better bike shop.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 31 Jan 2017, 6:25pm

Components are not standard what? Not the 'common' size perhaps but I reckon you could locate anything for your bike if you spent ten minutes with Google!

If you 'want' to buy a new bike just say so.

Yes it's true, Decathlon bikes are not known for their light weight but they are serviceable and cheap. Off the top of my head there are machines from Trek and Giant that you could look at with similar set ups or could be made similar - Trek 7 series for example, city versions come with guards and rack.

Best advice i'd give is decide what you actually want to do then visit some bike shops and look at what's out there and gets some hands on advice - don't buy the first pretty bike you see!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 31 Jan 2017, 6:25pm

How old is your hybrid marcus?

Also, what is it? Frame material. It may beva better bike than you think and if you like it worth refitting with new components.

As hamster says, i can't see you having great problems. My main two bikes these days are both circa 1997 hybrids. One rebuilt as bits wore out, the other built up from its frame within the last year.

Also, can we ask where you are? I ask as you refer to prices in euros.
Sweep

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 31 Jan 2017, 6:55pm

The bike is about 19 yrs old and was made by a small producer near me. I live in Italy. And this was his first time using aluminum tubing, so I think he kind of half assed it. I even went to the shop to see about new parts and he was embarrassed when he could not provide them.
I sense quite the aggressive responses to my plight from ignorance. I hope more posters would consider the remainder of my post. If you consider the cost of refitting a bike it can be almost as much as a new bike.
I have gone to several bike shops and they did not show me a bike that cost less than 1,200 euro and even then, needed additional accessories.
If I've offended people who like to hang on to their old bikes I apologize, If someone believes it is impossible to not find parts, then you are a better person than me.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 31 Jan 2017, 9:53pm

This cost me just under £600 to build with new components.
S/hand Specialized Globe Expert bike £240, sold gears/drivetrain/brakes for £100, Specialized FACT carbon seatpost £40, Saddle £15
Bought new
Ultegra 10x3 STIs £120, Ult ft derailleur - £15, 105 long cage £25, Miche triple chainset + BB £105, as new Dura Ace/Open SUP Ceramic front wheel £50 (bargain!!) YBN chain £12, TRP CX9 Mini V brakes £56, 5700 road pedals £32, Brooks Swift £68 (I know I got it cheap from some shop or other), USE Alien carbon seatpost £24
The rear tyre is a specialized Borough Pro 32mm (there's room for 40+mm tyres with guards, 55mm without) which is part of my stash of these tyres as they're no longer made (I paid £10/tyre), the front is a 25mm Schwalbe Ultremo Double Defence (soon to be 28mm) which cost me about £15. Bars are 46cm Ritchey WCS which I took off one of my racing frames as well as the FRM stem.
Including a set of ceramic brake pads (£5) the total there is £598, I also got to keep the bars/stem for my sons bike and the front wheel as a spare.

I already have the 'pro' frame variant in hybrid set-up (same frame just different spec components) and I know it'll take a pounding and can carry serious loads, it's going to be my touring bike this summer and is my winter ride.
I can't think of any other bike that you could buy that would fit my needs, be as sturdy and not cost a fortune.

Buy a good frame that suits your needs and build from there is my advice, put on it exactly what you want not what a manufacturer wants to sell you.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 31 Jan 2017, 10:59pm

I've been very happy with my Dawes Karakum treking hybrid. It handles both city commuting and touring with camping loads well.
I don't know if they are available in Italy. Here in the UK they are currently being sold at £580 - £650, which I think is 680 - 760 Euro.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 1 Feb 2017, 9:25am

Can you get up to Germany? You will find the shops there have more hybrid style options - i've seen prices as low as 300 euros in Bavaria.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

hamster

Postby hamster » 1 Feb 2017, 3:54pm

MarcusT wrote:The bike is about 19 yrs old and was made by a small producer near me. I live in Italy. And this was his first time using aluminum tubing, so I think he kind of half assed it. I even went to the shop to see about new parts and he was embarrassed when he could not provide them.
I sense quite the aggressive responses to my plight from ignorance. I hope more posters would consider the remainder of my post. If you consider the cost of refitting a bike it can be almost as much as a new bike.
I have gone to several bike shops and they did not show me a bike that cost less than 1,200 euro and even then, needed additional accessories.
If I've offended people who like to hang on to their old bikes I apologize, If someone believes it is impossible to not find parts, then you are a better person than me.

Marcus: fine if you want to spend on a new bike. My apologies if I came across as aggressive, it's frustration at somebody being told untruths. What I am sick of is the excuses from shops that parts are unavailable. Usually this is because they don't hold them in stock or want to up-sell you a bike. Bikes are not mobile phones and old ones can be just as good. Some of the older parts are actually stronger and better than the new ones!

Let me know what bits you think you need to replace, and I can show you where to find them. :)

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 1 Feb 2017, 6:28pm

Thanks for the replies. Some helpful tips. Unfortunately; Italy being a huge bike nation, puts it all into road bikes and MTBs. Touring bikes are rare and 2nd hand even rarer, and overpriced. For example, even at Decathlon, the bike I noted above has to be ordered and they have never had it in stock
Even though my present hybrid has given me a lot of great memories, the frame is not something that I would consider a keeper, I just don't believe it is worth saving. I prefer to donate it, perhaps to a family of refugees.
I have already dismantled my old MTB and save what parts I could, because the bottom bracket had seized. :cry:
I have looked at stores in Germany, Italy and on your side. I have found the best prices at Chain Reaction Cycle (even for German bikes). What is your opinion of them?
Comparing prices from CRC, they are 30-40% cheaper with their sale prices

It's a difficult decision, and I have lost some sleep over it. I am not not afraid I will purchase a bad bike, just not the best bike for the money.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 1 Feb 2017, 6:49pm

".... Chain Reaction Cycle (even for German bikes). What is your opinion of them?"

I've never bought a complete bike from CRC but I have been a customer since their very early days and never had cause for complaint. Nor do I recall ever reading of any serious problems with their products or service.

Threevok

Postby Threevok » 1 Feb 2017, 7:44pm

I have bought several bikes from CRC and never had a problem. Fast delivery too (here in the UK at least)

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 4 Feb 2017, 7:32pm

Hello, everyone.
Just a quick update for anyone interested.
Right now, I am leaning towards converting my MTB. I discovered the LX crankset I removed from my old MTB has road ratio chainrings, 48-38-26. So, that will save me some money. I will see how it performs with the supsension fork, before looking to replace it.
And after a full, season of riding,I may be convinced to take the plunge and buy a true, full fledged touring bike. Time to start a bike fund.
Hopefully in April, I'll be able to do my first major trek of the year

Best of luck