Cycling UK Water bottle ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Cycling UK Water bottle ?

Postby Psamathe » 6 Feb 2017, 10:32am

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Here we go ....
At the risk of ;
1.Sounding like an idiot.
2. Repeating a thousand posts again.
3. Stating the bleeding obvious.

Why does someone not table a no confidence vote in the board / trustees / whoever, if members are unhappy with the way the CTC Ltd. has headed ...?
Or have we been here before and i was asleep at the time or where the heretics burnt at the Tommy Simpson Memorial as a warning to others ??

Yes we've been here before, again and again. The big changes that some on here object to have been approved by the membership, charity conversion and name change probably the biggest though there have been plenty of others. Why would the membership vote no confidence in an organisation that's doing what the membership has already approved? Answer 1.

As a general thought, I think that these days often there are people who have to win an election to "get what they want" and it can become so important to them that they will say anything to get the votes they need (after which actually delivering on what was offered is irrelevant as it's to late then and there is no "come back").

I was not a member for the Charity Conversion referendum but people have said how those proposing the change were saying how "nothing would change" (except the extra income). And yet I think things have changed very significantly.

So these days it does seem to be a valid question to ask "Did the electorate get what the electorate voted for ?"

Ian

Si

Postby Si » 6 Feb 2017, 3:50pm

Wrt cuk kit the current issue of Cycle magazine made i larf. The article on Joy and her cuk community cycling group......look closely at the pic.....notice that a number of the group are wearing BC HSBC hiviz tops.....bit of a blunder there:-) youd think that cuk could at least do a few giveaway branded hiviz vests for their own publicity!

actually as you might expect, the article doesnt tell the whole trueth, missing out what bbb and sustrans did for the group and the fact that BC continues to support them. I was also somewhat surprised to learn that i was employed by ctc when i ran the ride leaders training course that she went on in 2015 :-)

ah, i think that im digressing....as you were.

DavidT

Postby DavidT » 6 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

I used to have CTC branded* bottles that were bright yellow (and therefore eye catching)and good quality. I always thought they were a good promotional idea, - whilst on the bike at tea room stops parked up alongside all the other riders' bikes. However they seemed to get deleted, I think following the shop transfer to Wiggle and never seen again. A pity. I'd happily pay a few £ for a decent bottle that promotes my membership of Cycling UK.

* It was the newer CTC logo, but that never bothered me - unlike some on this forum who I appreciate will forever lament the passing of the Winged Wheel.

Lets have a Cycling UK bottle back please?

Same goes for bike/mudguard stickers but that's probably another thread.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Feb 2017, 6:56pm

No need to pay for a water bottle, the orange juice bottles from the food store fit perfectly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 6 Feb 2017, 7:20pm

I do agree about merchandise such as tops, logos for the car and our bags.
A while ago I wanted a sticker for my panniers but they don,t have one but Cuk should by now.
Product placement is so important to all charities like NT so there is an urgency to wake up to the real world and get on with it. How about retro style ?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Feb 2017, 7:55pm

roberts8 wrote:.... How about retro style ?

With the winged wheel? And original gothic script?
:wink:

gaz

Postby gaz » 6 Feb 2017, 8:31pm

Winged Wheel, not-retro enough IMO.
:wink:
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

PH

Postby PH » 7 Feb 2017, 8:13am

Psamathe wrote:So these days it does seem to be a valid question to ask "Did the electorate get what the electorate voted for ?"
Ian

I don't know. IMO a better question is did they get what they wanted?
The majority don't vote, so either they're happy for others to make the decisions or they don't believe their vote will make a difference. I'd like to see more members getting involved, but not using your vote is a choice.
A large number of those who do vote at AGMs give their vote to the Chair to use at their discretion. Whatever the question, these people are happy to let their vote go to supporting the council. Why would these people then change their mind and vote no confidence in the same council they keep showing confidence in?
But to get some idea of what the membership want, you'd first have to have a good idea of who the membership are. I don't know the answer to that. There was a time when the DAs thought they were the membership, despite only ever attracting a small percentage of members. There are those who think the membership has a primary interest in cycle touring, yet I don't see much evidence for this. There are those (Some on this forum) who mourn some glory days when it was a real club, yet when I ask again and again what has been lost, they don't have answers.
My guess, and I stress that's all it is, is that a large proportion of members see themselves as supporters, they're not really interested in the club activities. They generally approve of the direction of Cycling UK, find the insurance and legal help useful, appreciate the magazine, believe Cycling UK is working in their interests and will continue to support that for a couple of quid a month. If this membership becomes dissatisfied, I believe they're more likely to just cease their membership than start to get involved with the politics.

gaz

Postby gaz » 29 Nov 2018, 8:55pm

Now available from the Cycling UK shop.

https://shop.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-water-bottle