Chris Marshall Framebuilder

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
murray

Chris Marshall Framebuilder

Post by murray »

Does anyone know if Chris Marshall is still in business? His phone is disconnected. He built a frame for me and still has it and I need to talk to him.
Ian Murray
mercalia

Re: Chris Marshall Framebuilder

Post by mercalia »

welcome to the forums sorry its under the present conditions

seems like no one knows anything
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mercalia wrote:welcome to the forums sorry its under the present conditions

seems like no one knows anything

I saw Chris a couple of months before Christmas. The situation at the time was that the landlord of the premises which include the workshop that he rents were planning some improvements to the building, and he had to vacate for several months - temporarily. He expected to be returning shortly after Christmas.

I have his mobile number, but without his permission I don't want to publicise it - I'm sure everyone will understand.

By amazing coincidence, a cycling colleague contacted me this morning telling me that he has acquired a 'collectable' frame, and that he was about to contact Chris to arrange a refurb of the frame.

I will post any news as soon as I have it. It was certainly not Chris's intention to cease trading at that time. I am currently awaiting a conclusion of action (by CTC/CUK legal eagles Slater and Gordon) to obtain settlement from a motorist and his insurers for a frame replacement which was destroyed (and I was injured), and I will then be able to accept Chris's quote and order a new frame for myself.

I hope that all's well with Chris, partly because he agreed to retain my destroyed frame for inspection by the motorist's insurers.

That's all I know at the moment, but is that any help?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW

Having been a satisfied customer of Chris M myself - and recommended him on here - I was hoping there would be some explanation like that, rather than bad news such as illness or worse, or his business going belly up.

My impression is that CM is more of a craftsman than a businessman eg there's a website down for maintenance, last update 2003. I understand what you are saying about the mobile number, but without sticking my neb too far in, is there a possibility of you mentioning murray's problem to Chris to put them in touch with each other? I really can't believe that Chris is somehow avoiding him.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:JohnW

Having been a satisfied customer of Chris M myself - and recommended him on here - I was hoping there would be some explanation like that, rather than bad news such as illness or worse, or his business going belly up.

My impression is that CM is more of a craftsman than a businessman eg there's a website down for maintenance, last update 2003. I understand what you are saying about the mobile number, but without sticking my neb too far in, is there a possibility of you mentioning murray's problem to Chris to put them in touch with each other? I really can't believe that Chris is somehow avoiding him.

Thanks tc - Chris has refurbed two frames for me, one of which required quite a bit of work, and the other required a few brazings - and they were both like jewellery when he'd finished. I'd agree with your perception of the businessman/superb and enthusiastic craftsman balance! We don't know the details of Murray's situation - e.g. how far Chris had progressed etc, but certainly my experience of Chris is of a decent man.

My cycling colleague is a member of our section, and I'll give him day or two to come back to me (he said he would) with news of progress, and then 'phone Chris myself. I never knew of a web-site.

How are you, yourself?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW wrote: ... I never knew of a web-site. ...

http://marshallcycles.com/
How are you, yourself?

Getting older as we speak, but otherwise OK. :D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:
JohnW wrote: ... I never knew of a web-site. ...

http://marshallcycles.com/
How are you, yourself?

Getting older as we speak, but otherwise OK. :D

Thanks tc - I foind that after reading your post.

Try this, also :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mar ... -1.9156852
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You've lost me a bit with that one. I appreciate that it's the google map but his lock-up is round the back of the shops which appear in the streetview images. I thought for a moment that he might have opened a shop. Streetview doesn't seem to cover the relevant trading estate.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:

You've lost me a bit with that one. I appreciate that it's the google map but his lock-up is round the back of the shops which appear in the streetview images. I thought for a moment that he might have opened a shop. Streetview doesn't seem to cover the relevant trading estate.

Thanks tc - I'm not suggesting accuracy - I was just showing you what I'd found 'out of the blue' whilst trawling through seeking to find something. Sorry if I've given the wrong impression - I don't know how it got on the web.
murray

Post by murray »

Thanks for the information. I have no problem with Chris but was concerned that he had packed it in or gone out of business.
Certainly can confirm he is a craftsman rather than a business man.
Will ring him in a couple of months. Good luck to whoever is going to clear his workshop.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Murray -

The cycling colleague in our section, that I referred to above, has been in contact with Chris over another frame-refurb. Chris has not returned to his workshop - clearly the improvement work to the building is taking longer than he'd expected. Chris said that he'd not be taking any new work for about another two months.

I offered (above) to ask him if I could pass his mobile number onto you, but I'd need to know who you are before I can do that. You can PM me.
Bordeaux-Paris

Post by Bordeaux-Paris »

Just an update on Chris' work for anyone who is interested

He just finished a new frame for me. It took a while from ordering to delivering, but this was mostly due to him moving from his old unit to setting up working from his new location. And I think there was a delay in in supply from Reynolds (953 fork blades).

This is my first experience of Chris' work and I am very impressed and pleased. I used to run a frame production outfit (I wasn't the builder it was contracted out) and I would say Chris' work is a good as any other frame I have owned or supplied, if not a little better.

He obviously has a great desire to build excellent frames rather than just getting paid for building good frames.

If you are looking for a new steel custom build I can not recommend him highly enough.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bordeaux-Paris wrote:Just an update on Chris' work for anyone who is interested

He just finished a new frame for me. It took a while from ordering to delivering, but this was mostly due to him moving from his old unit to setting up working from his new location. And I think there was a delay in in supply from Reynolds (953 fork blades).

This is my first experience of Chris' work and I am very impressed and pleased. I used to run a frame production outfit (I wasn't the builder it was contracted out) and I would say Chris' work is a good as any other frame I have owned or supplied, if not a little better.

He obviously has a great desire to build excellent frames rather than just getting paid for building good frames.

If you are looking for a new steel custom build I can not recommend him highly enough.

I've finally got my claim settled, and I'm due for a ride up to Chris's. Have you been in touch with him since your 20th November post? - have you any news/update?
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

I spoke to Chris a couple of weeks ago about a respray and he's still in business. He works from Bingley now as opposed to the car dealership in Keighley. Looking at four to six weeks turnaround.

I have his number and can pm you if you like. Just pm me.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Moodyman1 wrote:I spoke to Chris a couple of weeks ago about a respray and he's still in business. He works from Bingley now as opposed to the car dealership in Keighley. Looking at four to six weeks turnaround.

I have his number and can pm you if you like. Just pm me.

Thank you for that. I have Chris's mobile number thanks, and I knew that his Keighley workshop is no longer in operation. I'm glad to hear your news.

Thank you again.