York Rally 2017

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: York Rally 2017

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote:Of course to see all that in one day you'd need a car!

Why? Looks like quite a nice 30 mile bike ride http://cycle.travel/map/journey/34646
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Of course to see all that in one day you'd need a car!

Why? Looks like quite a nice 30 mile bike ride http://cycle.travel/map/journey/34646

I guess you're right - though with maybe 3 hours total at the two railway attractions and an hour at the Transporter Bridge tour (tho going across on the gondola is only 10 mins) you'd have a pretty full day. I guess it depends if you've then got to cycle back to Shildon!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

any one know where I could camp for a day before the festival near by - Virgin trains now dont have any cycles spaces left for Friday, but I could get up there on Thursday no problem.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I'd recommend Acomb Grange - have camped there several times. Small quiet campsite and not overly expensive. They charge by size of the tent as well not by number of people. Last time I stayed there it was 9 quid for our two man tent. It's about 3 miles from the rally site. http://www.acombgrange.co.uk/booking.htm
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:any one know where I could camp for a day before the festival near by - Virgin trains now dont have any cycles spaces left for Friday, but I could get up there on Thursday no problem.

I'd try the trains again 12 weeks before, I know some tickets are being made available but I have doubts that it's all of them. A couple of times I've changed plans and used the train at a day or two's notice, I've never known all the bikes spaces to have been used up on all the trains.
Though if I had the extra day I'd use it, there's loads of great cycling in the area, I'd camp a few miles away and explore some of it. Getting that cheap train to Hull that's been mentioned upthread and riding the TPT would make a nice day if you want flat. Or go further North and ride back if you want some hills.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:any one know where I could camp for a day before the festival near by - Virgin trains now dont have any cycles spaces left for Friday, but I could get up there on Thursday no problem.

I'd try the trains again 12 weeks before, I know some tickets are being made available but I have doubts that it's all of them. A couple of times I've changed plans and used the train at a day or two's notice, I've never known all the bikes spaces to have been used up on all the trains.
Though if I had the extra day I'd use it, there's loads of great cycling in the area, I'd camp a few miles away and explore some of it. Getting that cheap train to Hull that's been mentioned upthread and riding the TPT would make a nice day if you want flat. Or go further North and ride back if you want some hills.

Well Hull Trains dont seem to want to do business with me :lol: I emailed them a week ago about how to reserve a cycle and no reply :evil: mustr be a noddy railway company :?:

Virgin - There is only one train the 13.08 that is cheap the others are NOT :( I cant take an earlier train as a) I have to get to Kings X b) My freedom pass dont work before 9,30am on week days
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
Virgin - There is only one train the 13.08 that is cheap the others are NOT :( I cant take an earlier train as a) I have to get to Kings X b) My freedom pass dont work before 9,30am on week days

Your 13:08 from London is the 14:21 from Grantham and we'd already booked two of the four bike spaces on it. Usually get that to the York Rally and the other bike spaces are always filled. From my point of view it's a good thing you didn't book earlier else we wouldn't have got on :wink:
I think spending an extra day in York will only add to your enjoyment though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

An alternative, though you'll have to wait for the 12 week release date, is to get the Marylebone train to Birmingham, usually plenty of choice for £7, bikes on a first come basis. Then look out for a cheap Birmingham to York ticket , usually in the £18 - 25 range. This is often my cheapest London > Derby option on a train that then goes on to York (Well eventually Newcastle or Edinburgh) It involves changing stations in Brum, they're a short walk/ride apart.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:An alternative, though you'll have to wait for the 12 week release date, is to get the Marylebone train to Birmingham, usually plenty of choice for £7, bikes on a first come basis. Then look out for a cheap Birmingham to York ticket , usually in the £18 - 25 range. This is often my cheapest London > Derby option on a train that then goes on to York (Well eventually Newcastle or Edinburgh) It involves changing stations in Brum, they're a short walk/ride apart.

I am a cheapskate that cost way too much :D The 13.08 would have cost me just £20 return
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:An alternative, though you'll have to wait for the 12 week release date, is to get the Marylebone train to Birmingham, usually plenty of choice for £7, bikes on a first come basis. Then look out for a cheap Birmingham to York ticket , usually in the £18 - 25 range. This is often my cheapest London > Derby option on a train that then goes on to York (Well eventually Newcastle or Edinburgh) It involves changing stations in Brum, they're a short walk/ride apart.

I am a cheapskate that cost way too much :D The 13.08 would have cost me just £20 return

I'm the real cheapskate, riding up costs nowt, and doing it overnight means there's no where to spend any money if I wanted to...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Moor end Farm caravan and camp site a Acaster Malbis,small family run site,We've stayed there a few times for the rally:- http://www.moor-end-farm.co.uk/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:I'd recommend Acomb Grange - have camped there several times. Small quiet campsite and not overly expensive. They charge by size of the tent as well not by number of people. Last time I stayed there it was 9 quid for our two man tent. It's about 3 miles from the rally site. http://www.acombgrange.co.uk/booking.htm

£9 seems a fair price

do you have to be a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:I'd recommend Acomb Grange - have camped there several times. Small quiet campsite and not overly expensive. They charge by size of the tent as well not by number of people. Last time I stayed there it was 9 quid for our two man tent. It's about 3 miles from the rally site. http://www.acombgrange.co.uk/booking.htm

£9 seems a fair price

do you have to be a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club?

No.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tried the acombgrange.co.uk site and seems to be down?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:tried the acombgrange.co.uk site and seems to be down?

Phone is 0871 288 4763