York Rally 2017

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
yostumpy

York Rally 2017

Post by yostumpy »

Swmbo is off on hols for a week, and that means I'm free the weekend of the York Rally. Its one of those things that I've wanted to go to for years, but never got round to it, and as swmbo doesn't ride, its a bit awkward. So Whats it all about then, is it as good as it used to be, what are the facilities like, what are train fares like from, say, London (ones i've seen so far are horrendous)? Any one here going this year, been before, ? hints tips suggestions all welcome . Thanks.
foxyrider

Re: York Rally 2017

Post by foxyrider »

It's a good weekend - much smaller than it was in its commercial heyday but that's not a bad thing. York isn't the cheapest place to stay but bargains can be had - or camp on site. Toilets and showers are available of course and there will be some catering on site although there's plenty of options off site too.

Can't comment on trains - I live close enough to ride if I want or its only @£20 if I do catch a train.

It's a friendly weekend and worth the effort to get to.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

yostumpy wrote:Swmbo is off on hols for a week, and that means I'm free the weekend of the York Rally. Its one of those things that I've wanted to go to for years, but never got round to it, and as swmbo doesn't ride, its a bit awkward. So Whats it all about then, is it as good as it used to be, what are the facilities like, what are train fares like from, say, London (ones i've seen so far are horrendous)? Any one here going this year, been before, ? hints tips suggestions all welcome . Thanks.

I'm going to miss this years as it clashes with something else I want to ride :(
I've been to the last couple under the new organisation and enjoyed them. Rally is the right name for it, it's about a meeting of people rather than what's on. There's plenty of led rides, which ought to cater for all, but they're along the lines of a friendly club run rather than something with signposts and marshals. A good place for bargains, end of stock stuff, a bit of secondhand and a chance to see the like of Spa showing of their latest.
IMO it's much better to stay onsite, meet people in the camping area, over breakfast, and while having a pint in the evening. If you don't find anything on site to interest you, it's a short walk into York, always worth a visit, I try and find time for an hour at the railway museum when I go.
Bargain train fares tend to be available around 12 weeks before travelling, somewhere around £65 return looks doable if you stay out of peak times. You might find something better if you try and do it on multiple tickets, or ride part way.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

yostumpy wrote:Swmbo is off on hols for a week, and that means I'm free the weekend of the York Rally. Its one of those things that I've wanted to go to for years, but never got round to it, and as swmbo doesn't ride, its a bit awkward. So Whats it all about then, is it as good as it used to be, what are the facilities like, what are train fares like from, say, London (ones i've seen so far are horrendous)? Any one here going this year, been before, ? hints tips suggestions all welcome . Thanks.

Looked on East Coast trains website 13:08 from kings cross arriving York 15:30 on Friday 23rd June 15 quid 10:31 from York arriving London 12:42 on Monday 26th June is 22 quid if you book now. Camping is £21 to cover the three nights.
It's worth going and the best atmosphere is on the lightweight camping field. PH sums it up well.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Wat about 'bikes on trains' ? Problems?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PH wrote:

I'm going to miss this years as it clashes with something else I want to ride :(
I've been to the last couple under the new organisation and enjoyed them. Rally is the right name for it, it's about a meeting of people rather than what's on. There's plenty of led rides, which ought to cater for all, but they're along the lines of a friendly club run rather than something with signposts and marshals. A good place for bargains, end of stock stuff, a bit of secondhand and a chance to see the like of Spa showing of their latest.
IMO it's much better to stay onsite, meet people in the camping area, over breakfast, and while having a pint in the evening. If you don't find anything on site to interest you, it's a short walk into York, always worth a visit, I try and find time for an hour at the railway museum when I go.
.. .

The railway museum needs a whole day I think :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

yostumpy wrote:Wat about 'bikes on trains' ? Problems?

Never found any on the east coast. You just need to buy your ticket on their website then you can book bike space at the same time. Presumably if you leave it late to book around the rally weekend the bikes spaces will all have been taken. Usually train up and ride back, have already bought tickets and booked spaces - total of £16.80 for two people with bikes Grantham - York.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The railway museum needs a whole day I think :wink:

You're right, could easily spend a day there to see it all, I just prefer to do such things a bit at a time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PH wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The railway museum needs a whole day I think :wink:

You're right, could easily spend a day there to see it all, I just prefer to do such things a bit at a time.

The Nederlands Spoorweg NRM in Utrecht is smaller but well worth a visit. Mind, it could be an outstation of our NRM. One of the locos is from Sharp Stewart Glasgow, another the WD type from the Longmoor Military Railway. There is a virtual cinema train ride, that is really good. Entry is only 16€!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Talking of NRM outstations have you been to NRM Shildon? Just wondering if it's worth a visit.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not been to Shildon but I think it is surely worth a visit, the NRM in York is almost too big, one could spend a week there. The new WHR Porthmadog - Caernarvon is v.g. I think. Went on the Great Orme Tramway recently, actually it is two funiculars, change half way up, very steep, great for children. From the Orme there is a good unfamiliar view of Eryri
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote:
Talking of NRM outstations have you been to NRM Shildon? Just wondering if it's worth a visit.

Yes its worth a visit, check the website for events - it can get very busy on running days
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

shame the camp site closes at 10 am on Monday? too early after a weekend of ...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

who else is going to this this year. I may for the first time
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mercalia wrote:shame the camp site closes at 10 am on Monday? too early after a weekend of ...

Why is it a shame? In all the times I have been there I have not come across anyone who really wanted to stay longer once the event had finished. Twice in the last 20 years I have been the last person (other than those taking down the marquees) to leave.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".