Good cafe/route 10-20 miles from Hawkshead (Cumbria)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gloomyandy

Good cafe/route 10-20 miles from Hawkshead (Cumbria)

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm staying in Hawkshead this week and looking for recommendations for nice rides out from there to a good cafe. Nothing too ambitious around 20-40 mile round trip with a nice cafe around half way! Good cafes closer to Hawkshead also of interest as it is looking a bit rainy this week (no surprise there), so we may end up with shorter runs out to dodge the weather!

Thanks
cycleruk

Re: Good cafe/route 10-20 miles from Hawkshead (Cumbria)

Post by cycleruk »

It's about 27 miles from Hawkshead around Windermere lake and back. Shortcut if you use the Windermere ferry.
There are cafes but none specifically cyclist listed.
A climb over to Coniston and again has cafes.
A real testing ride is Langdale "wall" :shock: From Hawkshead - Skelwith Bridge - Chappel Style (cafe) - past New Dungeon and Old Dungeon Gill (pubs) . Up the "Wall" and over into Little Langdale valley (pub). Back to Skelwith Bridge & Hawkshead - 19 miles.

There are Cafes at Cartmell and quiet lanes, but don't go on raceday. (Cartmell horse races)
From Hawkshead - Rusland - Back Barrow - Cartmell.
Return via Field Broughton - Seatle - Newby Bridge. Then choice east side of Windermere to ferry or west side through Lakeside - Graythwaite to Hawkshead. 30 miles

Be aware there is a bit of a climb from ferry up to Far Sawrey.
There is a road/track north from ferry along east side of Windermere all the way to High Wray and doable on wide-ish tyres. I have done it on 700x25 :mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

We did the southern loop around Windermere today, just over 20 miles via the ferry. We stopped off at Lakeside for a cup of tea, which was OK but nothing special. Not a bad route though!

Will take a look at the other routes thanks!

Anyone got anymore and in particular recommendations for a good cafe?
julk

Post by julk »

If you ride in a southerly direction to Cartmel then the best cyclist café in the area is a couple of miles further on at Flookburgh.
Opposite the graveyard, by the church in Flookburgh is a garden centre.
Behind the garden centre the café is a separate building (and business) reached by the path/road on the north side of the garden centre.
Great homemade cyclist type food with portion sizes to match your hunger. Toilet is a small building alongside.

Riding around the central lakes can be a bit like circuit training, but the route south to Cartmel and Flookburgh is one of the easier routes.
Have a great time.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you find yourself near Dalton on Furness I chanced upon the Tudor Cafe at the end of Market st. Doesn't look too inviting from the outside but inside the food is good home made and extremely good value. Constant stream of workers coming for take outs. Friendly ladies who run it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

julk wrote:If you ride in a southerly direction to Cartmel then the best cyclist café in the area is a couple of miles further on at Flookburgh. Opposite the graveyard, by the church in Flookburgh is a garden centre.
Behind the garden centre the café is a separate building (and business) reached by the path/road on the north side of the garden centre. Great homemade cyclist type food with portion sizes to match your hunger. Toilet is a small building alongside.
Riding around the central lakes can be a bit like circuit training, but the route south to Cartmel and Flookburgh is one of the easier routes. Have a great time.

+1 - A few years back I had an overnight in Hawkshead YHA and cycled to Cark rail station ( the cafe was closed that day :( ).
Got train to Silverdale station ( line goes via Grange & Arnside) and then cycled onto home.
For info' - Silverdale station is next to RSPB Leighton Moss.

Have been to Cark cafe since and yes is good. Also a cafe at the RSPB Leighton Moss.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cafe at the station Lakeside Railway is fairly good.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Haverthwaite steam railway buffet?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

geocycle wrote:Haverthwaite steam railway buffet?

Yes thats the one. You are never far from a cafe in the Lakes anyway, pity the Lakeland Peddler in Keswick has gone as that was a good one.

http://www.bettyfold.co.uk/

We used this one last time we were in the Tarn Hows area... Ok but felt the cafe was secondary to the gallery and was a bit chilly in the tea room.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Is that the one actually at Lakeside? we went to one there called something like "1872" and was in the building alongside the water right where you would board a steamer. It was OK, but (expensive) tea in a cardboard cup and no toasted teacakes means it would not make my (Yorkshire!) standard of a great cycling cafe! :-)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Been taking a look at various maps etc. as I sit looking out at the rain this morning! Do any locals happen to know what Sustrans route 37 is is like to ride on? In particular the section between Skelwith Bridge and Elterwater and from Little Langdale to Coniston? I'm here on my touring bike so would rather rather avoid a mud fest that needs a MTB. Though I do like a good cycle path! Maybe I'll just go have a look if/when it stops raining! :-)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

gloomyandy wrote:

Is that the one actually at Lakeside? we went to one there called something like "1872" and was in the building alongside the water right where you would board a steamer. It was OK, but (expensive) tea in a cardboard cup and no toasted teacakes means it would not make my (Yorkshire!) standard of a great cycling cafe! :-)

No - It's at the other end of the line (west end).
http://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk

Go to Newby Bridge and then A590 west for 2 miles. There are back lanes so no need to ride on the A590.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

gloomyandy wrote:Been taking a look at various maps etc. as I sit looking out at the rain this morning! Do any locals happen to know what Sustrans route 37 is is like to ride on? In particular the section between Skelwith Bridge and Elterwater and from Little Langdale to Coniston? I'm here on my touring bike so would rather rather avoid a mud fest that needs a MTB. Though I do like a good cycle path! Maybe I'll just go have a look if/when it stops raining! :-)

All tarmac and been on them in the car as well.
But be warned that low gears will be needed. :wink:

What maps are you looking at?

Good luck with the weather this week. :roll:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The bluebird cafe right on the banks of Coniston is excellent with great views of the lake :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Broughton in furness,the square cafe,always stopped there when out for a ride.Good,hilly circuit from Hawkshead;east side of coniston lake,return via west side.You really need an O.S. map to get the most from this ride.